pacman3211

Popeye hacked with slightly better graphics

Looks like Popeye, where is the difference? And may some words about the story behind this "new" look would help. Who are you, who made this and why?

PB Popeye:

post-13896-0-81435600-1456528622_thumb.jpg Hacked: post-13896-0-90478600-1456528649_thumb.gif

..looks like Popeye is drawn better. And maybe Bluto's nose isn't so long? Too bad Olive is still green. :lol:

I can't do much to improve Bluto. Bluto is only 5 pixels wide. The programmer used horizontal pixel stretching for Bluto. I don't know how to disable it in the code.

popeye analysis.asm This assembly file can't be reassembled.

popeye.asm

Edited by pacman3211

The only issue i have is the new bluro/bruno. He now has a very clean shaved face. Bluto/Bruno is supposed to have a beard. The old graphic resembles that better.

I would say its a small difference, yeah, but is it an improvement? Not sure about that. As Pimpmaul said, the old Bluto looks better for me too and I do like the new Popeye a bit more, but its not an fact, just an opinion.

I can't do much to improve Bluto. Bluto is only 5 pixels wide. The programmer used horizontal pixel stretching for Bluto. I don't know how to disable it in the code.

attachicon.gifpopeye analysis.asm This assembly file can't be reassembled.

attachicon.gifpopeye.asm

I don't want to sound glib, but do you mean that you can't find where in the code to disable the sprite stretching, or that you do not know how to disable it?

I suppose it is the former, in which case, if you know the MOB object that it uses, set a watch on its Y register in the debugger, and check when it is written with a value that has the "X-Zoom" bit set, then trace how the value got there. You'll probably be able to trace it back to a sprite database block.

-dZ.

I don't want to sound glib, but do you mean that you can't find where in the code to disable the sprite stretching, or that you do not know how to disable it?

I suppose it is the former, in which case, if you know the MOB object that it uses, set a watch on its Y register in the debugger, and check when it is written with a value that has the "X-Zoom" bit set, then trace how the value got there. You'll probably be able to trace it back to a sprite database block.

-dZ.

That doesn't sound glib, but that sounds very complex and beyond my abilities.