IGNORED

What is your retro computing most "irrational want?"

rpiguy9907

• 2 weeks later...

That make me think, monochrome monitors have been made in green and amber/reddish, but does someone ever remember to see blue ones? (na, not Windows Blue Screens!).

I heard about purple monitors used in laboratories for some reason, but never blue ones, and even the purple/violet sounds like a joke more than anything.

Edited by CatPix

That make me think, monochrome monitors have been made in green and amber/readdish, but does someone ever remember to see blue ones? (na, not Windows Blue Screens!).

I heard about purple monitors used in laboraties for some reason, but never blue ones, and even the purple/violet slounds like a joke more than anything.

Some Commodore PETs had blue phosphors didn't they?

Perhaps no blue hue offers enough readability for the price to manufacture it. AFAIK, PET monitors are green or white, perhaps the white sometimes can appear blueish.

Here is a list of standard phosphor types and where each type can be found:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphor#Standard_phosphor_types

Yeah, the text says "light blue" which probably is the off-white in some lighting conditions. The phosphor table can be sorted by wavelength, which suggests the following ranges:

295 - 368 nm = ultraviolet

400 - 504 nm = blue (sometimes blue-green)

504 - 546 nm = green (sometimes blue-green or yellow-green)

550 - 588 nm = yellow (sometimes yellow-green)

590 - 602 nm = orange (sometimes orange-yellow or yellow)

610 - 660 nm = red (sometimes orange-red or orange-pink)

White doesn't have a clear wavelength, as it is a combination of all colours?

This one looks blue, but I'll blame it on poor lighting.

PET_MapBeforeDOA.jpg

Yeah, the text says "light blue" which probably is the off-white in some lighting conditions. The phosphor table can be sorted by wavelength, which suggests the following ranges:

295 - 368 nm = ultraviolet

400 - 504 nm = blue (sometimes blue-green)

504 - 546 nm = green (sometimes blue-green or yellow-green)

550 - 588 nm = yellow (sometimes yellow-green)

590 - 602 nm = orange (sometimes orange-yellow or yellow)

610 - 660 nm = red (sometimes orange-red or orange-pink)

White doesn't have a clear wavelength, as it is a combination of all colours?

This one looks blue, but I'll blame it on poor lighting.

PET_MapBeforeDOA.jpg

Publications of the day seem to identify it as blue. If you google that seems that the blue could appear white depending on the brightness.

Edited by rpiguy9907

Some DEC Rainbows also appear to have light blue text, and so can [the] TRS-80:

That was my experience with the Model III; I remember the monitor having a very distinct bluish hue, just like the image above. I never saw another monitor quite like it.

• 7 months later...

I just pulled the trigger on an Epson QX-10 for 75$ (with Monitor and Keyboard). VALDOCS baby!

This has been an irrational want for awhile, mostly because of my odd interest in Vintage Word Processing software and also FORTH. I really wanted a QX-10 as Valdocs was written a FORTH derivative.

I want a Canon Cat for the same reason. If anyone has one for a reasonable price let me know!

I don't even have room to set the QX-10 up, but I am thrilled to have it (I have a problem).

I also got an SinclairQL just because it is an oddity over here in the US. I need a power adaptor for it. I never really wanted one, but when one pops up for cheap you have to go for it.

• Like 2

The QX-10 is a neat looking CP/M machine. Definitely better looking than earlier CP/M machines.
The additional graphics and extra RAM made it a bit more capable as well.
The fact that it's mostly off the shelf chips should allow you to keep it running a long time.
I saw one in person and wondered about having enough desk space for the machine and keyboard though.
That is a big freakin' keyboard!

I have always toyed with the idea of getting a DEC Rainbow 100. CP/M, CP/M 86, and MS-DOS on one machine.
It even had color graphics. Who knows if anything besides the demo ever used them though.
The floor standing model looked cool and they had a neat looking monitor with it.
I've just never had enough room for something that big that doesn't get used much.

CP/M is the secondary OS for the machine. By default it ran VALDOCS, which was an OS plus Applications in and of itself. It supported a primative task switching mechanism between applications as well. Basically a glorified, automated quit and save every time you switched apps.

Wizard of Wor for the VIC-20. It probably wouldn't be as good as other versions (the C64 port is excellent) but being teased with the game on the back of the system's box has left me with an insatiable desire for it.

I'm sure there's more stuff I'd love to have... it's just not jumping to mind at the moment. A working Apple IIc might be nice!

No Archimedes enthusiasts? It seems like such a forgotten system...

Yes! Over here! I had an A4000, A5000 and then RiscPC-600. Amazing machines and on my earlier post in this thread one of my wants is for a nice 33Mhz A5000 to sit next to my Beeb(which amazes and confuses my friends here in the US who have never seen one).

Jess Ragan: I'll see your Wizard of Wor and raise you Turtle Bridge (in cartridge form, not the Cascade 50 tape), which existed in multiple price lists for long enough to ought to have existed for sale.

Edited by carlsson

An IBM SP Frame... Mainly because I used to work on them and they were always the coolest looking cabs in the computer room. I'd actually gut it and use it for something else as I'm fairly sure I couldn't power the thing up. It was also what Deep Blue was.

...and a mint Tempest arcade machine...

Home computer-wise, I'm getting there with what I want. I suppose an X68K would be nice, and an Archie just to place Zarch.

Edited by juansolo

A Timex 1500 or a Timex 2000. They're obscure. there is nearly no programs for them. they are incompatible with the Spectrum! but they looks fantastic. I'd stick a speccy in the ts1500 case.

that and the other failed American 8 bit machines

I have a Timex Sinclair 2068, it does 512*200 graphics! It's very cool.

I always wanted a 1500 in the special executive briefcase they used to offer. It has a space for the 1500 and tape drive all sold together in the leather briefcase! Drool.

Edited by rpiguy9907
  • Like 1