IGNORED

A question about writing images to disks

Tr3vor

I got a C64 just a few days ago with a disk drive and I was wondering how to write some disks for it.

Of course I googled it and found a cable that allows you to hook up a commodore drive to a PC, but In order to be cheap I was wondering if there are any other methods I could do.

I have a 486 machine with a 5.25" drive in it, I was wondering if there was a program that could write images onto disks without me having to buy cables or drag this commodore drive all over the place to get things done. If not I guess I'll get one of those cables.

Unfortunately the 1541 uses a radically different encoding than a PC does - GCR vs MFM if it makes any sense to you. When it comes to Amiga floppy disks - which also are a form of GCR - they somehow can be read on a PC drive with special software, but it doesn't seem similar things are doable with 5.25" disks.

Before you order an X-series cable, consider if you'd rather spend a little more and get one of the lower end SD card devices like SD2IEC, uIEC/SD etc. At this point, the gang will chime in about limited compatibility, but if you're willing to write floppy disks anyway, you may find shuffling a memory card back and forth a little more convenient than moving the drive. Actually you can have both the C64 and a PC connected to it at the same time, but you need to be careful about decoupling the bus with a special POKE, otherwise you might find it locks up.

Unfortunately the 1541 uses a radically different encoding than a PC does - GCR vs MFM if it makes any sense to you. When it comes to Amiga floppy disks - which also are a form of GCR - they somehow can be read on a PC drive with special software, but it doesn't seem similar things are doable with 5.25" disks.

Before you order an X-series cable, consider if you'd rather spend a little more and get one of the lower end SD card devices like SD2IEC, uIEC/SD etc. At this point, the gang will chime in about limited compatibility, but if you're willing to write floppy disks anyway, you may find shuffling a memory card back and forth a little more convenient than moving the drive. Actually you can have both the C64 and a PC connected to it at the same time, but you need to be careful about decoupling the bus with a special POKE, otherwise you might find it locks up.

alright, I was wondering if the drives were that different, and they are, so I guess I'll get one of those SD2IEC things to make everything simple. I might get one of those cables too eventually because I like old disk drives.

oh yeah an another question. This C64 that I have has a weird behavior, where if I let it sit for a while and turn it on, the LED is dim and nothing appears on screen unless I wait maybe 30 seconds, then the LED lights up to full brightness and the computer turns on. Is this a sign of some problems, maybe bad caps or something?

Are you using the original power supply? It's ticking and is about to blow, get a C64 Saver, a 128 power supply with an adapter for C64, or a replacement supply not made by Commodore. Otherwise your C64 could burn out from failed power supply and it's well over $50 for a working C64 on eBay.

This C64 that I have has a weird behavior, where if I let it sit for a while and turn it on, the LED is dim and nothing appears on screen unless I wait maybe 30 seconds, then the LED lights up to full brightness and the computer turns on. Is this a sign of some problems...

Sounds like a power problem. If you are using the original C64, non-repairable brick of a power supply, I wouldn't use it again, and I would replace it with a heavy-duty C64 power supply, modded C128 power supply, or a new, heavy-duty power supply from Ray Carlsen.

Truly,

Robert Bernardo

Fresno Commodore User Group

http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

Are you using the original power supply? It's ticking and is about to blow, get a C64 Saver, a 128 power supply with an adapter for C64, or a replacement supply not made by Commodore. Otherwise your C64 could burn out from failed power supply and it's well over $50 for a working C64 on eBay.

Sounds like a power problem. If you are using the original C64, non-repairable brick of a power supply, I wouldn't use it again, and I would replace it with a heavy-duty C64 power supply, modded C128 power supply, or a new, heavy-duty power supply from Ray Carlsen.

Truly,

Robert Bernardo

Oh goody, that's what I wanted to hear right after I start trying to learn BASIC on the thing :| Oh well.

Yeah, I'm using the original power supply. Any recommendations of good new power supplies for it? would a modded C128 PSU be that much better? its just about as old. also how is it non repairable? I saw a comment on another board saying that they were filled with epoxy or something, but mine doesn't appear to have any in it, it appears to be pretty simple.

So I looked up "commodore 64 power supply" on google and none of the results had my PSU, maybe this one isn't original? I saw a grey one that was filled with shit, and that looked horrible. anyway, here's pics of mine:

IgZCT4n.jpg2DuWkwV.jpg

Edited by Tr3vor

I'll probably replace the bad parts in the PSU and keep using it...

Ah, you have the repairable C64 power supply. I have the same p.s., and it was upgraded with modern parts, so it won't have the failures of the old components. You can find pics and a brief write-up of my p.s. at

http://blog.retro-link.com/2013/07/commodore-power-supplies-upgraded.html

Truly,

Robert Bernardo

I doubt a switch will cause that to happen. I'll probably replace the bad parts in the PSU and keep using it, since I don't really care about efficiency that much and its not filled with glue.

Well, I'm just advocating against going all cargo cult and blaming the PSU and only the PSU for every symptom a C64 exhibits. If you have the ability to replace parts in the PSU you surely have the ability to test it under load, too?

There's a 74LS14 logic chip on the C64 board that keeps the CPU's reset input active until a certain capacitor fed by the 5VDC via a resistor has charged beyond a certain threshold. If contacts in the power switch go bad the added resistance may cause that capacitor to reach the threshold much later, thus keeping the CPU in reset loop much longer than usual. The capacitor itself could also have gone bad (C43 it was on the latest boards, I think).