IGNORED

Opcode Games Signs Exclusive Distribution Agreement With AtariAge

opcode

Excellent question. First of all, we believe in quality and good value. Starting with Penguin Adventure, we will be offering what I believe are some great games, using a brand new cartridge that is beyond anything currently available for the CV, a collector grade packaging that is fully offset printed, and now a shopping experience that is truly first rate. And by offloading the distribution end of things to AtariAge, we will be able to focus on making new and better hardware and software for the ColecoVision, All of that costs money. Albert has his operational costs to keep the AA Store running, he pays PayPal fees, taxes, servers, etc. And we have our operational costs too, mainly manufacturing. So we had no option but to raise our prices a bit to accommodate those extra operational costs. Penguin Adventure and Gradius will now cost $50. Additionally we unfortunately can no longer offer free shipping, since there is no way for Albert to absorb that. We apologize and will try to make up for that by offering you superior quality.

Raising prices and now charging for shipping? Not a good way to get back into the game, so to speak. I understand the reasons behind it, but you had payment up front from those of us that pre-ordered, I would think you would want to honor that even if you had to refund our money. Going forward with future orders for the standard carts, yes, raise the price and charge shipping, but don't penalize those of us that supported you coming back right from the start.

We've been waiting patiently for an announcement all this time, doesn't seem fair to me, sorry to say.

Maybe hook up those of us that pre-ordered somehow, like how about signing the carts and boxes or something like that? Collector cards? Live monkey packed in with Donkey Kong? I don't know, I leave that up to you. :)

The exclusive distribution agreement is truly one of the best and wisest moves by Opcode.

A few years ago I threw in my 2 cents over the SGM situation, as well as put my money where my mouth was, and invested in the product.

I knew the track record of Opcode - including how much was provided to the ColecoVision community through the years. I had confidence that eventually all promised SGMs would be delivered. Being a part of the second wave, I am on the cusp of receiving it.

Honestly though, outside of acquiring another port of my favorite Arcade game of all time (DK), I had little to no desire to acquire any other titles, in part, due to concern over additional manufacturing and distribution logistics.

This is a factor no longer. Having AtariAge handle the distribution is as good as (if not better than) telling me I can order from Amazon, Best Buy, GameStop…etc. That extra peace of mind due to the unwavering quality and reliability of AtariAge, undoubtedly seals the deal for additional purchases for a considerable number of people.

• Like 2

Honestly though, outside of acquiring another port of my favorite Arcade game of all time (DK), I had little to no desire to acquire any other titles, in part, due to concern over additional manufacturing and distribution logistics.

This is a factor no longer. Having AtariAge handle the distribution is as good as (if not better than) telling me I can order from Amazon, Best Buy, GameStop…etc. That extra peace of mind due to the unwavering quality and reliability of AtariAge, undoubtedly seals the deal for additional purchases for a considerable number of people.

You make it sound like Opcode is the only ColecoVision publisher that offers SGM games... :ponder:

• Like 1

You make it sound like Opcode is the only ColecoVision publisher that offers SGM games... :ponder:

Sorry for that...It was not my intent at all.

Due to the unfortunate circumstances that hampered distribution previously from Opcode, this arrangement offers additional reassurance to individuals purchasing items published by Opcode.

• Like 1

Raising prices and now charging for shipping? Not a good way to get back into the game, so to speak. I understand the reasons behind it, but you had payment up front from those of us that pre-ordered, I would think you would want to honor that even if you had to refund our money. Going forward with future orders for the standard carts, yes, raise the price and charge shipping, but don't penalize those of us that supported you coming back right from the start.

We've been waiting patiently for an announcement all this time, doesn't seem fair to me, sorry to say.

Maybe hook up those of us that pre-ordered somehow, like how about signing the carts and boxes or something like that? Collector cards? Live monkey packed in with Donkey Kong? I don't know, I leave that up to you. :)

We sincerely apologize for the price increase, but on the other hand I understand your frustration. So yes, I talked to Grazi and we can indeed do something to show our appreciation for those who pre-ordered. We will think of something to make the special editions even more special, and as soon as we have an answer we will let you know.
  • Like 2

I'll gladly take his copy and pay DOUBLE for it if he's just going to complain over a few bucks... ;)

• Like 1

We sincerely apologize for the price increase, but on the other hand I understand your frustration. So yes, I talked to Grazi and we can indeed do something to show our appreciation for those who pre-ordered. We will think of something to make the special editions even more special, and as soon as we have an answer we will let you know.

Thanks Ed, you guys are the man, er, now I guess man and woman? :-D

• Like 1

Is it correct that the second run SGM will be shipping this month????

Acording to tracking, sound chips arrive on Monday, which means we start shopping this week. However please notice my ability to ship large quantities of SGMs is limited, so it may take a few weeks until I ship all 200+ modules.

• Like 3

It would be nice if we could place a table in a post. :-D

In fact it would be awesome if people had a list of all games that run on the Super Game Module, great idea!

To make it more clear and organized I think it would be better if it had a topic just for itself, and more people would be able to find this info too. ;)

• Like 1

In fact it would be awesome if people had a list of all games that run on the Super Game Module, great idea!

I'm adding SGM requirement to the next Excel version of NIADs CV & ADAM Collector's List. Unfortunately, it won't be issued for a while yet :(

Edited by Ikrananka
  • Like 1

Fair enough.

We will think about the live monkey or another way to make it worth! hahaha :P

• Like 1

There is little to no profit in homebrew, and more than likely your selling at a loss. If Opcode/AA needs to charge for shipping I have no problem with it. Just keep producing great games and do what you need to do.

I would love to do free shipping, but shipping costs vary quite a bit depending on the weight of the package and destination. The USPS had (yet another) significant rate increase this year. This affected Priority Mail and International shipping rates quite a bit (some went up as much as 40%!) It's just not feasible to offer free shipping when the shipping would be such a significant portion of a game's value. Especially for low-value orders. If they were hundreds of dollars, the shipping would be a less significant percentage of the total value of the order, and it might be workable then.

Amazon offers "free" shipping for Prime members, which isn't really "free", and it's estimated they lose at least $1 billion annually as a result. It's a difficult thing to do..

..Al

• Like 2

I have, I went there once looking for Cabbage Patch dolls, Sectaurs toys and some obscure game console shaped like a triangle, on the other hand, ColecoVisionAge.com would be awesome ;)

PS, for consistency, we need MattelAge.com :grin:

Those domains add up pretty quickly in cost... There's no end to the domains one could purchase with that logic. :)

..Al

• Like 1