I'm looking to re-create the creation of ATARI 800 cartridges with original ATARI hardware. This means, even though I new burner connected to a PC is better, the point is to re-create the experience. At this point, I need the burner itself. I understand that one of these will work:

Thompson Electronics Proburner

Radical Systems Cartridge Maker

CSS Super E-Burner

Gang Super E-Burner

Or, any other eprom burner that attaches to an original ATARI 800. I'm not picky about how new the burner is, as long as it only requires the ATARI 800 & 810 etc.

NOTE: IF THIS POST GETS OLD, PLEASE STILL INQUIRE!

Hi,

Just get yourself a modern burner from ebay. I got the Stager V4800 programmer but I know people that use TOP programmers aswell.

Just check the supported roms with the programmers.

I do own several 8-bit eprom programmers but they are less reliable, maybe due to age, and issues with the programming voltage.

Secondly maybe it's cheaper to program flashroms and re-wire a few pins inside the cartridge instead of using the old eproms.

There is another burner that came out in 1989. Created by Ralif David, it was XL/XE compatible and burned 2764 through 27512 eproms. It consisted of a cartridge slot with a ribbon cable to transport the signals to a bigger board. At the time all programming power came from the cartridge slot. It originally was made in Germany and very few made it across the big water.

Here's a picture of the original

German%20Eprom%20Burner3s.jpg

After a time the rights were sold to ABBUC and there it remained, kinda lost in time. Recently I was doing some googling for Atari hardware and came across a little bit of info on it. It caught my eye and I continued to research it finally discovering it's current owner. I contacted the president of ABBUC and was granted permission to recreate the board and offer it for sale.

Through the help of tf_hh and GoodbyteXL I have been able to recreate the schematic and will be sending a prototype board order into Itead in the next few days. By the time the dust settles on the SpartaDos project I should have the board and enough parts in to begin testing. Although the original board did not support the 2716 or 2732, I am hoping I can add that function as well. Stay tuned. :)

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

There is another burner that came out in 1989. Created by Ralif David, it was XL/XE compatible and burned 2764 through 27512 eproms.

Do you happen to have a manual for it? English would be nice but German will do too. Mine is a used one and came without it and I don't know if it works. I'm curious about how good it works compare to my CSS Gang Super E-Burner.

I'm looking to re-create the creation of ATARI 800 cartridges with original ATARI hardware. This means, even though I new burner connected to a PC is better, the point is to re-create the experience. At this point, I need the burner itself. I understand that one of these will work:

Thompson Electronics Proburner

Radical Systems Cartridge Maker

CSS Super E-Burner

Gang Super E-Burner

Or, any other eprom burner that attaches to an original ATARI 800. I'm not picky about how new the burner is, as long as it only requires the ATARI 800 & 810 etc.

NOTE: IF THIS POST GETS OLD, PLEASE STILL INQUIRE!

I realize going old school but you've listed some of the rarest and hard to find items around. $$$$$$$ Yep, go new.... Unless you're a hard core collector :)

• 2 years later...

Somewhere in my boxes of Atari stuff is a Bytewriter (together with manual, errata sheet, and software). It plugs in through the joystick ports, and you can choose ports 1&2 or 3&4.

Here's a pic of another one: http://atariage.com/forums/uploads/monthly_10_2015/post-27608-0-48069400-1445478205.jpg

this needs disk dumps, and photos inside and out... be very kind of you if you did so.

Edited by _The Doctor__

There is another burner that came out in 1989. Created by Ralif David, it was XL/XE compatible and burned 2764 through 27512 eproms. It consisted of a cartridge slot with a ribbon cable to transport the signals to a bigger board. At the time all programming power came from the cartridge slot. It originally was made in Germany and very few made it across the big water.

Here's a picture of the original

German%20Eprom%20Burner3s.jpg

After a time the rights were sold to ABBUC and there it remained, kinda lost in time. Recently I was doing some googling for Atari hardware and came across a little bit of info on it. It caught my eye and I continued to research it finally discovering it's current owner. I contacted the president of ABBUC and was granted permission to recreate the board and offer it for sale.

Through the help of tf_hh and GoodbyteXL I have been able to recreate the schematic and will be sending a prototype board order into Itead in the next few days. By the time the dust settles on the SpartaDos project I should have the board and enough parts in to begin testing. Although the original board did not support the 2716 or 2732, I am hoping I can add that function as well. Stay tuned. :)

only one left in stock! https://www.bitsofthepast.com/?product=ralf-davids-xlxe-eprom-burner-bundle

Edited by Gunstar

Any update on EPROM burners? What do people like to use in 2018? Thanks!

Experimenting with Dropcheck's reimaged Ralf David burner was interesting to me, I was able to burn a selection of 2732,2764,27128,27256 with it successfully, but it's pretty picky about compatible eproms, and I ran into a few bugs in the software, but got that all figured out with the help of the folks here. Cool to do it the 'retro' way on the real Atari, but in the end it's all just too inconvenient and slow compared to modern PC alternatives..

With that said, the popular, and amazingly cheap one nowadays is the TL866 (for PC/windows). Lots of mentions of it throughout the forums. I was impressed at being able to burn eproms in a few seconds or less compared to the aforementioned one!

PS: my Ralf David burner has basically been unused since I got the TL866, if someone wants to buy it PM me. PIA's included.

• Like 1

Not that it's any kind of a viable alternative to

Dropcheck's offering but there always was the 800

based Hofacker kit that was featured in the book

titled "Hackerbook for Your Atari Computer"

http://www.atarimania.com/documents/Hackerbook-for-your-Atari-Computer.pdf

It did 2732, 2532, 2516 and 2716 only. Only worked on

the 800 because of illegal jumps into the OS and

the third and fourth joystick port connection to

the EPROM burner. And there is a mistake in the

code offered for it as a hexdump too. Renders the

program broken IIRC - I'll bet the completed burner

in the back of the book for 180 1983 dollars comes

with a 'fixed' program disk though.

But the other portions of the book taught me how

to find the mistake in the hex dump which wasn't

a thing I was capable of before I purchased the book.

I still have a love/hate thing with that book, the

sight of it makes me so mad and yet it taught me

so much...

Experimenting with Dropcheck's reimaged Ralf David burner was interesting to me, I was able to burn a selection of 2732,2764,27128,27256 with it successfully, but it's pretty picky about compatible eproms, and I ran into a few bugs in the software, but got that all figured out with the help of the folks here. Cool to do it the 'retro' way on the real Atari, but in the end it's all just too inconvenient and slow compared to modern PC alternatives..

With that said, the popular, and amazingly cheap one nowadays is the TL866 (for PC/windows). Lots of mentions of it throughout the forums. I was impressed at being able to burn eproms in a few seconds or less compared to the aforementioned one!

PS: my Ralf David burner has basically been unused since I got the TL866, if someone wants to buy it PM me. PIA's included.

I'm just the opposite, any chance to use my Atari is a bonus to me, regardless of inconvenience or speed compared to PC alternatives! I'll use a TL866 for everything else, but if it's a 27 series eprom needed, it's a bonus to me to be able to use the RD XL/XE burner to burn it with my Atari!

27 series I assume? It sounds like fun, but I only need or want one 27 series burner on the Atari, so I'm only interested if it can burn eproms the RD burner cannot The TL866 is for burning GAL chips and eproms over 64K, and I suspect this old burner you are referring too can't do those. I only collect that which I will use, nothing on the shelves collecting dust permanently.

If you are collecting relics I have an eprom burner that plugged into the joystick ports.

Edited by Gunstar

Yep. it can. Haven't we just been over this? I was pointing out I only would use the TL866 for anything larger than 27512's or for GAL's in my modern upgrades and flash cartridges.

I don't give a shit if TL866 can do 2732 (or 2764-512's) too. My RD burner can also do 2732's with it's adapter, but I'm more interested in burning stuff for 2764's, 27128's, 27256's and 27512's which both the TL866 and RD burner can also do, but I prefer using my Atari when I can. Period.

What's with all the fixation from people on 4K 2732's (this is not the first time they have been specifically mentioned to me in the last 2 days)? Just because they are compatible with a bunch of old 2-chip 8K Atari carts? I'm more interested in 16K+ game carts and 8K+ roms. If there's an outside chance I need to burn 2732's, my RD burner can handle them with an adapter and upgraded software by Dropcheck. If there's an outside chance I want to burn 2532's, then yes, I'll use the TL866 with and adapter. I pretty much only will use a TL866 for GAL's.

Edited by Gunstar

• 1 year later...
On 3/16/2016 at 11:29 PM, David_P said:

Somewhere in my boxes of Atari stuff is a Bytewriter (together with manual, errata sheet, and software). It plugs in through the joystick ports, and you can choose ports 1&2 or 3&4.

Here's a pic of another one: http://atariage.com/forums/uploads/monthly_10_2015/post-27608-0-48069400-1445478205.jpg

Does anyone here know where I can get a Bytewriter eprom programmer? I would like to make more ACE80 cartridges for the Atari community and you would like one please reply to me here or PM me directly. Thanks!

Edited by netcoord99
Enhancement