IGNORED

Games that destroy friendships

KWKBOX

I figure Street Fighter II could get players riled up enough to put a strain on frendships, but break them? Friends are more likely to just stop playing if one player is clearly better at this game than the other to the point of frustration. Of course, there's always the immature sore loser who takes it too seriously...

N64 Mario Party Games where you can land on that Star Reversal Space, where your friends roll the dice to see who gives up all of there stars to another player.

If there was anything in a game that divides friends, it is that for us!

This a thousand times over. Very few games let you pause to look over and actually let your buddy know he's about to be %$^#&ed.

• Like 1

Street Fighter II for sure. I had a friend (still is really, since grade school) that used to get so mad when I beat him (SNES) that he'd literally smash the controller against his forehead! Never knew he had it in him to be so irrational or violent. Funniest thing I'd ever seen anyone do to themselves and would laugh so hard when he did it - which just fueled his anger. Came a time when he eventually fractured the damn thing and needed to buy a new one! :rolling:

Didn't ruin the friendship of course, but we eventually just stopped playing *that* game together. lol

• Like 3

NHL Hitz definetley destroyed a few friendships of mine. I was the dirtiest asshole in that game plus impossible to beat not to mention that I was an unfair player. A few of my PS2 controllers were broken in the process. :lol:

Other honorable mentions are indeed Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat, and Goldeneye Multiplayer. I ALWAYS got "Most Dishonorable" I was a total dick in that game as well especially I knew how to get up in the vents in the Facility level and place proximity mines or remote mines after somebody died and if they respawned there. Some were bad sports that they never talked to me for months. :lol:

• Like 3

Street Fighter II for sure. I had a friend (still is really, since grade school) that used to get so mad when I beat him (SNES) that he'd literally smash the controller against his forehead! Never knew he had it in him to be so irrational or violent. Funniest thing I'd ever seen anyone do to themselves and would laugh so hard when he did it - which just fueled his anger. Came a time when he eventually fractured the damn thing and needed to buy a new one! :rolling:

Didn't ruin the friendship of course, but we eventually just stopped playing *that* game together. lol

His head or the controller?

• Like 1

Another vote for Uno, or the standard-deck alternate, Crazy Eights.

Friends call the game Dirty on Your Buddy. I was told that was the "polite" version of the name. When you get piled on with multiple Draw Fours, the less-polite version makes a whole lot of sense.

I read now that a variant of the game is called Screw Your Neighbor. Also apt.

What games do you think destroy friendships?

Hey Kevin and Eric.

For me, its the Pokemon video games. I've seen friends turn to bitter enemies over the games and many eventually where fist fighting over it. :skull:

Darn....Them days with Pokemon first started was like a fiasco over who had the best collection when I was in school!

Anthony...

Without a doubt for me, Mario Party. My friend had some weird voodoo-magic with that game, no matter how well any of us would do in the game he would somehow end up winning to the point of it being creepy. In the countless times we've played any of those games over the years, he has managed to win every single time. I remember a couple years ago I was in the lead with 11 stars, and the last blessed turn he managed to hit the one space that gave him a chance to swap stars, and the game randomly chose me. It was so utterly bizarre and frustrating that none of us ever played the game again. How he ended up winning every time was just too weird.

• Like 1

Without a doubt for me, Mario Party. My friend had some weird voodoo-magic with that game, no matter how well any of us would do in the game he would somehow end up winning to the point of it being creepy. In the countless times we've played any of those games over the years, he has managed to win every single time. I remember a couple years ago I was in the lead with 11 stars, and the last blessed turn he managed to hit the one space that gave him a chance to swap stars, and the game randomly chose me. It was so utterly bizarre and frustrating that none of us ever played the game again. How he ended up winning every time was just too weird.

Those last turn star swaps are a &%^#%@*! Any time before 1/2 done or so you can come back but past that those you feel like you got done dirty. The early 64 parties seemed way worse in this regard.

I had this happen many times over 100+ games, AND twice on the last turn of a game: Player A is right in front of the star spot and is the first roll on the next turn. He is a few coins short of the necessary 20. You go to the minigame, and get a 2 v 2 game. Player A and Player B are on the same team....Player B throws the game (sometimes REALLY obviously or facetiously) to deny the other player the few coins needed to get the star (and in those two cases, win the game, barring some bonus start craziness).

I can neither deny nor confirm that I was player B like 80% of the time.

• Like 1