IGNORED

Atari A8 Donkey Kong Hack

There are a couple alternate color scheme/hacks in the works. It's a little washed out.

Yes, I understand why you made that change, but it's starting to lean towards glaring a little.

If given the choice, I think I might sacrifice the teeth and have a better color balance on the playfield.

Also the arcade is very blue as I'm sure you know:

image.png

But of course I'm over the moon with your upgrades! It's looking fantastic! This is just a little feedback, for what it is worth :)

Nice work...!

I think the new blue is a bit pale, I can see the horrible compromises to make it all work in the few colours - but I vote for a richer blue vs teeth! Of course with a bit of code support a DLI/colour change might be possible to give some white up at the top...

I hope you do a version where all the new changes are in EXCEPT the fireflies are in - I LOVE the originals!

sTeVE

I just can't get into the Rivet level now. Those girders are hard on the eyes.

Thanks. I understand. Not enough on-screen contrast. See below!

Yes, I understand why you made that change, but it's starting to lean towards glaring a little.

If given the choice, I think I might sacrifice the teeth and have a better color balance on the playfield.

Also the arcade is very blue as I'm sure you know:

image.png

But of course I'm over the moon with your upgrades! It's looking fantastic! This is just a little feedback, for what it is worth :)

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback.

Here's my inspiration:

post-13491-0-73979500-1457620119_thumb.jpg

Excellent job! The colors are a little washed out in the newest version though. Can you turn it down a few notches?

Thanks. Unfortunately, turning it down makes Kong look like an 80's glam rocker, with blue eye shadow -- or under a black light. lol.

post-13491-0-16716500-1457621414.png

There's something else in the works. (See below)

Nice work...!

I think the new blue is a bit pale, I can see the horrible compromises to make it all work in the few colours - but I vote for a richer blue vs teeth! Of course with a bit of code support a DLI/colour change might be possible to give some white up at the top...

I hope you do a version where all the new changes are in EXCEPT the fireflies are in - I LOVE the originals!

sTeVE

Thanks. The problem with the DLI color change in playfield is that the upper ladders and Pauline use that color. It would be obvious. Also, Kong falls on the rivet screen. Playsoft is working on placing a player behind Kong's head. This looks like it has potential.

This is an early proof of concept:

post-13491-0-26622500-1457620993_thumb.png

In addition, I cleaned up the Mario sprite a bit. He looks a little more fluid now, and the death animation is better.

post-13491-0-17387300-1457621114_thumb.png

(I know the blue should be lighter on this level... I kind of like it though, and the darker looks better on the rivets level. I'll find the best average.)

Edited by darryl1970
  • Like 1

I know you're trying to get DK with white teeth, but is that really worth mucking up the colors on the other levels? Maybe redesign DK so his teeth aren't showing or give him a mouth similar to the original 8-bit version? Just a thought.

I know you're trying to get DK with white teeth, but is that really worth mucking up the colors on the other levels? Maybe redesign DK so his teeth aren't showing or give him a mouth similar to the original 8-bit version? Just a thought.

If possible, it is. The above solution, using a player for color, doesn't affect the colors of the level. It actually allows us to have our cake and eat it too. I agree the rivets were quite washed out.

However, there are two shades of blue on the arcade. There is a teal (Ramp ladders/rivet girder accents), and there is a dark blue (Oil barrel, springers, and center majority of the rivet girders). Allowing different color schemes for each level would improve the likeness, regarding arcade accuracy. The blue could be lighter on the ramps and darker on the other screens. If worse comes to worse, I would go back to the way he looked earlier, without the white.

I could not stand the hillbilly chicklet teeth from the original. That will not be an option.

** The blues in the above pictures were not final. I was just playing and showing the independence of the blue and white.

Edited by darryl1970
  • Like 1

If possible, it is. The above solution, using a player for color, doesn't affect the colors of the level. It actually allows us to have our cake and eat it too. I agree the rivets were quite washed out.

However, there are two shades of blue on the arcade. There is a teal (Ramp ladders/rivet girder accents), and there is a dark blue (Oil barrel, springers, and center majority of the rivet girders). Allowing different color schemes for each level would improve the likeness, regarding arcade accuracy. The blue could be lighter on the ramps and darker on the other screens. If worse comes to worse, I would go back to the way he looked earlier, without the white.

I could not stand the hillbilly chicklet teeth from the original. That will not be an option.

** The blues in the above pictures were not final. I was just playing and showing the independence of the blue and white.

Thanks for the update on potential use of the player for color..that would be awesome!

One thing I really appreciate in your graphic upgrades is how you iterate and converge on the best solution given all the particular limitations of the game in question.

To be able to step back from changes you made previously and view it from an objective perspective isn't easy and you do it very well!

• Like 2

Thanks for the update on potential use of the player for color..that would be awesome!

One thing I really appreciate in your graphic upgrades is how you iterate and converge on the best solution given all the particular limitations of the game in question.

To be able to step back from changes you made previously and view it from an objective perspective isn't easy and you do it very well!

Thank you! :)

Holy shit man.

Where's the pentacle in the game, cuz you guys're pulling some serious dark magic here. :o I'm blown away at this latest version!

Edit:

Nevermind I found the game's ties to its dark master. :D

post-23974-0-89636500-1457663776_thumb.png

Edited by Jinroh
  • Like 1

I used to think that The ColecoVision version Mario looked more accurate, because our (Atari) players were too low res and not wide enough. I figured game play was better, due to more powerful hardware and better programmers.

Our slightly lower resolution players aren't as detrimental as I once thought. We even have multi colored enemies, and we have more of them. Without the modern Super Game Module, I wonder how much closer the CV/Adam could come. We still have even the Adam version beat by a long shot, for looks and playability. Pretty incredible machine for late 70's!

post-13491-0-73508500-1457665397_thumb.png post-13491-0-83758400-1457665267_thumb.png

• Like 2

2 games defined my first Atari 600 XL experience when I first saw the machine at a school friends house... Donkey Kong Cart and Joust. :D

I love the adjustments! (as avid Crazy Kong player I always run into barrel dropping at my top in DK... as in CK you could peep out on a ladder so the barrel will not come down).

• Like 1