IGNORED

Atari A8 Donkey Kong Hack

Cool. Thanks.

I appreciate what they did with this. I wish there was a version that just updated it to be like the arcade, instead of altering the graphics so much.

It seems as if they combined the Ocean version with some of the sounds from the original AtariSoft version (I wasn't a big fan of the sound in either version, but the Atarisoft is a little better in some areas)

I notice that the patterns are very arcade-like, and they added details like jumping Kong's foot.

Is there a version where they just cleaned up the graphics (made the characters more arcade-like, instead of trying to enhance them)?

I take it this means there is not a new "Arcade" version for the Atari 8-bit?

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't think I was going to touch this anymore, but I had some ideas after working on Mario Bros (which is still in progress).

I am against Mario having too drastic of a color change. Although his face is white on some versions (like the NES), some thing still didn't feel right.

Furthermore, the mixing of blue and red tends to favor the blue color, thus giving Mario a blue hue; thus, I can't change the color shades how I'd prefer them.

I tried brown and blue. Brown is pretty close to red, and it creates a flesh tone when mixed with blue.

I created a version where the girders are brown too, which kind of reminds me of Crazy Kong a little, where Mario was also a shade of brown/orange.

To keep it from being drab, I added some color to the ramps. Let me know what you think?

Leave it at 7.4?

** See why I tried brown girders below --- >

V 7.4 V 7.5 Brown girders (Add Ramp color) V7.5 Mario Color (Add Ramp color) V7.5 New Mario colors ONLY (See issue below)

post-13491-0-67009300-1480707887_thumb.png post-13491-0-04957200-1480707636_thumb.png post-13491-0-98465200-1480708362_thumb.png post-13491-0-14057900-1480709132_thumb.png

post-13491-0-65932500-1480707864_thumb.png post-13491-0-06987700-1480707609_thumb.png

post-13491-0-28600300-1480707876_thumb.png post-13491-0-42281500-1480707623_thumb.png

post-13491-0-90071100-1480707902_thumb.pngpost-13491-0-14670800-1480707654_thumb.png

Why brown girders??

The hammer is part of the background objects, but it is part of Mario's player when he is swinging the hammer.

So, if the girders and Mario are two different colors, the hammer will be quirky.

post-13491-0-46780600-1480710021_thumb.png

Given this experiment, I may add the improved umbrella, new font, and not bother with Mario's color. Thoughts?

Edited by darryl1970
  • Like 1

I really like either of the girders with colour.

It adds a good bit of depth that isn't there with the solid coloured girders. I think most would be preferable to the more red girders, though I like the brown with the royal blue colour you have going on there.

As I "PLAY", I wonder about all brown without the color pop.. It matches Mario.

post-13491-0-55886600-1480711906_thumb.png post-13491-0-88735700-1480711884_thumb.png

The colors react really weird. The extra color makes everything seem brighter.

• Like 1

This is a good time to say this, after 8+ months of your improvements and much discussion: I'm red-green colorblind.

[ducking]

I didn't know the Landon Dyer was on AA. Very cool! I have to ask a question. I always wondered why the animation of Kong jumping across the girders wasn't used when the game starts. It only happens after some amount of time passes on the menu screen. I played it for quite a while before I ever discovered this animation existed. I remember I was taking a break from the game while I tended to a model I was building. I couldn't believe it when I heard the intro song start playing and ran over to the tv to see the animation sequence running. It was a fun discovery at the time.

I didn't know the Landon Dyer was on AA. Very cool! I have to ask a question. I always wondered why the animation of Kong jumping across the girders wasn't used when the game starts. It only happens after some amount of time passes on the menu screen. I played it for quite a while before I ever discovered this animation existed. I remember I was taking a break from the game while I tended to a model I was building. I couldn't believe it when I heard the intro song start playing and ran over to the tv to see the animation sequence running. It was a fun discovery at the time.

This was a really deliberate decision.

In the arcade, the meta-game that the console manufacturer plays with the arcade owner is that of play time. Anything (well, within reason) that can be used to extend the play time of the unit can cause artificial demand and cause the arcade to buy more machines to meet that demand. Thus many games had cute cartoons and title screens and other time-wasters built in. Arcade owners would be happier if games lasted ten seconds before you had to plug another quarter in. Players wanted to play for hours for twenty five cents. Some tension there. Also, players enjoy the cartoons.

With a cartridge, the company already has all the quarters they're ever going to get. There's little point in sucking up player time, and you might as well let the user enjoy the game play at maximum velocity. And that intro cartoon gets really tiresome after a while.

I still wanted to put the intro animation into DK, and had enough ROM to squeeze it in (it might have been a few hundred bytes, maybe more for the sounds). I also figured that an attract mode in a store would pull in more sales (I have no idea if this worked, there was no way to do A/B testing).

I should add that Atari management was basically clueless about my decisions, and they would have been happy with anything that displayed a monkey that they could sell for fifty bucks. I still think that little touches are important.

• Like 7

This was a really deliberate decision.

In the arcade, the meta-game that the console manufacturer plays with the arcade owner is that of play time. Anything (well, within reason) that can be used to extend the play time of the unit can cause artificial demand and cause the arcade to buy more machines to meet that demand. Thus many games had cute cartoons and title screens and other time-wasters built in. Arcade owners would be happier if games lasted ten seconds before you had to plug another quarter in. Players wanted to play for hours for twenty five cents. Some tension there. Also, players enjoy the cartoons.

With a cartridge, the company already has all the quarters they're ever going to get. There's little point in sucking up player time, and you might as well let the user enjoy the game play at maximum velocity. And that intro cartoon gets really tiresome after a while.

I still wanted to put the intro animation into DK, and had enough ROM to squeeze it in (it might have been a few hundred bytes, maybe more for the sounds). I also figured that an attract mode in a store would pull in more sales (I have no idea if this worked, there was no way to do A/B testing).

I should add that Atari management was basically clueless about my decisions, and they would have been happy with anything that displayed a monkey that they could sell for fifty bucks. I still think that little touches are important.

First, reading your response lightened up my day a little. Thanks!

Donkey Kong was one of the games that really got me hooked on video games. I loved the personality -- the graphics, the sounds, and the "feel." You did an incredible job at capturing that. I had played the ColecoVision port, but I was an Atari guy. I was so bummed this port wasn't available for my 5200. Prior to your port, I thought the Coleco version would be the closest I'd EVER see at home. When I saw all you packed into this version, in less space than the Coleco version, you furthered my Atari bias. Not only did you include the different levels, tunes, better sound effects, more animation (Kong chest pounds), and the important cut-scenes; but you captured many gameplay details that are even absent from the NES version. The barrels were more unpredictable, the pace was more frantic, Mario had the proper "bounce-back", Mario could jump over a barrel by jumping along WITH it (better "hang time"), etc. So much attention to detail.

It is all that much more impressive, knowing that you never cared much for the game. Thanks for a great game!

I have to say, back in the day, I really valued a game more if it was closer to the arcade. The cut scenes/intermissions made this version more valuable to me. Although sitting through the intro can be tedious, I preferred the accuracy of having the arcade at home. I loved the intermissions, attract modes, and a "Game Over" screen. Those are all things my 2600 didn't have. I started to see them in my 5200. It's funny how simple it SEEMS in hindsight. Mario Bros XE has all the intermissions, but pressing fire button breaks from the intermission. That's a great solution for home. Easy to see that 30 years later!

Attract mode in-store would have definitely grabbed MY attention. However, Atari never really advertised this in my area. I had NO idea it was even available. I saw it in the back of a Christmas catalog. It was a drawing of he Elevators screen, and the "springers" present. The ColecoVision was missing those bouncing springs. I was peaked! I didn't own an A8 YET, but I wanted to see it so badly. It wasn't even on display at stores. I didn't understand why Atari didn't release this for the 5200 and blow Coleco out of the water. lol. (I understand licensing now. lol)

I THINK this might be the image I saw in the catalog... Although, it may have been a drawing back then.

post-13491-0-38822000-1481642458_thumb.gif

I also had this XL catalog.

post-13491-0-45822200-1481643901_thumb.png

Sears 1983 -- (Is that the A8 version listed under the ti-99?

post-13491-0-92701600-1481643947_thumb.jpg post-13491-0-63760400-1481643956_thumb.jpg

Edited by darryl1970
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Of course Donkey Kong was revolutionary back in it's day - like Pacman and other early 80s' iconic videogames - having a human player that was so uniquely designed and animated. Those who know the history - that it became the turnaround for Nintendo for the failed game - Radarscope - while that game is OK to play - there's nothing special or addictive to that.

I was never any good at Donkey Kong - and still play very poorly at it. If you were to work on such a game like it today - today's kids - the majority probably don't have the patience to try mastering it? That a special trainer or kids version of it - needs to present in a look alike game of it. Say, in which you continue from where you die - so that anyone can complete the levels. Where is the fun in that? Not everyone is of the same ability - so having a kids level option - will only add to the game. You could still have the normal options there - who can miss out the kids level.

I still think you can always revisit old games - and then add variations or extend the game concept further - if you can think of ways that can be done?

That instead of barrels - something deadlier or more unpredictable is thrown? Bouncy balls? You can always change the physics to these balls. Exploding barrels? Barrels that explode with water inside? Of course - this would not an easy project.

It would be easier to go with completely new graphics and a new character/scenario etc. While there have been new platform games - the majority have failed with their graphics - and only Bounty Bob comes to mind, which like Donkey Kong comes with it's own character and uniqueness about it. Oh, there is Montezuma's Revenge (well, Popeye too - and Bristles). These all have their unique character/specialness about them. I did not include Stickman (I mean Jumpman) because I never got to like it much - even stickman/Jumpman could have done with more animation - if it tried to??? If you think stickman graphics simply doesn't work today - you probably haven't seen the Pak n Save supermarket ads - that are run here in New Zealand - I don't know how many years/decades? the ads have been running for...

I know it's not easy to come up with a design/character that works - so too with the animation(s) required. But today we do have all kinds of resources available - not only of recording video of any videogame you wish to reference back to, and study minutely in detail. But there's tons of sprite sheets of whatever game on whatever system - you can try finding. So even if you're not hot on animation - you can copy what someone else has done - to help you out.

And if you're not any good at designing graphics - get someone else to do that for you - who likes to sort out the details and spend time trying to find something suitable that works.

Most people will say - that spending a great deal of time and effort on a Atari 8bit project today - is simply not worthwhile. That it's better to work on something for the Android market (or some other present day platform as such - for PC, Mac or whatever..) because that is where the money - and interest is. It would be a huge audience as such.

And those who do it for the Atari 8bit - do it for the love of this particular hardware - and those who are learning how to develop/program - do it because it's easier to work on - for them - because all the technical info/etc is more readily available? I don't know what it is like to develop for Android/etc - maybe it is easier to do so? But again there's so many others developing also - it will be so hard to stand out from all of them.....

Anyway for those who do want to spend the time and trouble - to work on Atari 8bit projects - I think it's always possible to come up with something that can look fresh and different - still. And even if you fail in trying - it all helps to make you better still - for the next project you'll start on - after that one.

Harvey

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

I have been "resting" on this update since my last post. When I have time, I am going to create a post that has all of the hacks I have been a part of, in one place.

The final Donkey Kong, I believe, will look more like this.

I am keeping the improved umbrella and updated font. Even though the font isn't "arcade" font, I think it adds to the game more, given the limited 4x4 characters.

Before a "Final" release, is there anybody who would like to convert the A8 RMT version to the 5200?? :)

post-13491-0-15540200-1496335888_thumb.png post-13491-0-88071900-1496335897.png

• Like 9

I have to say this game and Defender are the two games that really made my jaw drop when I got my 400 back then. I didn't think it could get any better at home and hardly touched my 2600 after that.

I read that in Christopher Walken's voice, for some reason...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Late to the game here but just wanted to say this is awesome. Like many I loved the A8 version of DK back in the day. I believe it's one of, if not the best, arcade port of any of the games released for the A8. Joust and Defender have been mentioned and they were good but for me DK was the best at capturing that arcade look and feel.

I've played this on Altirra and now that I finally have a real Atari (800) again I'm playing it on the real deal and it's fantastic. Because you can never have enough DK, I just went back and grabbed every version from this thread. :thumbsup:

• Like 5