IGNORED

SDX 4.46 TDLINE 12 Hour Time AM/PM problem

mytek

If you look at the TDLINE display, you'll notice that it shows an 'a' for AM, whereas the file 'DATA_IN.BAS' which was saved only a few minutes earlier has a time stamp of 12:39P (which is correct). At 1PM the TDLINE display will change to a 'p' for PM as it should be. Everything else works properly, and the date will change at midnight as it is suppose to.

7zbcicH.jpg

Anyone else have this problem? Or is it just me? Has this been fixed in the latest release?

- Michael

That's odd. What do you get when you type DATE ?

Don't know (it's now 2pm over here, and everything looks good right now). I'll check it some other day before it flips over to 1pm and corrects itself, although I suspect it is just a TDLINE issue since the file time stamp was correct.

Issue appears to persist in SDX 4.47. Never noticed before. Of course it only crops up using the US time format, since the European format uses 24 hour clock notation.

Leave it to me to discover a new bug ;) Although it is a relatively harmless one, since all the time stamping aspects are good. I wonder how long this has existed (how many versions back)?

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols
  • Like 1

Issue appears to persist in SDX 4.47. Never noticed before. Of course it only crops up using the US time format, since the European format uses 24 hour clock notation.

I would not be surprised if someone ripped the code of the TDLINE routine(s) from a certain XEX you and I know....

Yes, it's a confirmed bug...

It should go for zero hour 00:00:00 up to 23:59:59 there is no 12:00am in the computer world, the military or gmt.

However an exception is made for when people choose the am/pm format...

00:00:00 can have the 12 placed and the counter should go from 12:00:00a to 11:59:59a then from 12:00:00p to 11:59:59p

the problem persists because the storage to the rtime cart should still be in 24 hour format and tdline should do the conversion...

the re worked tdline also had a problem with ntsc and time skipping about plus or minus 10 seconds... I thought my cart went bad but it still works perfectly with older sparta dos versions... albeit with the wrong day etc... timing timing timing.....what can you say....

It's still a little better than it was at one point but still not exactly all the way there....

Maybe due to new time clocks that are made and used we need different tdline methods. but a stable and pretty accurate clock is always nice

I was trying to ignore the problem but it just bothers me as well..... I thought that the powers that be were aware... and would get around to it.. but your right... when reading about it.. you see they knew the had a problem and thought they fixed it...

silly me... something forgotten and slipped thru... it happens

Edited by _The Doctor__

Maybe due to new time clocks that are made and used we need different tdline methods. but a stable and pretty accurate clock is always nice

I was trying to ignore the problem but it just bothers me as well..... I thought that the powers that be were aware... and would get around to it.. but your right... when reading about it.. you see they knew the had a problem and thought they fixed it...

silly me... something forgotten and slipped thru... it happens

Its no biggie, since it is only visual and usually I can figure out the difference between 12am and 12pm (look out the window... is the sun out?... Yes, then it must be 12pm). The good thing is that the time stamp is accurate.

I just brought this topic up because I wasn't sure if there was something I had done wrong on my side of things (always a good possibility).

Thanks for the explanations.

- Michael

It's something that needs to be done.... as many have mentioned and noticed it... it's not just you... trust in that.... and now that it's completely confirmed something more than likely will be done to fix it up. This is a good thing to know!

• Like 1

I guess we are all just so used to time passing by and for people to get around to it that we forget to speak up about it anymore. Maybe real life and just plain forgetfulness leads to so many things never being fully completed....

Anyhow...Mytek broke the silence and that's a good thing!

Should an email be sent to make the bug(s) formally reported again or is did you already speak/msg him?

Yeah I was on 24 hour time until just a few days ago, and just couldn't get used to it (old habits die hard). So when I switched over to 12 hour is when I noticed it. Funny thing was that it caused me to go back and reset the time even though it was already correct, then after I discovered my mistake I reset it again. At first this just made me scratch my head and chalk it up to the fact that I just joined the 6 decade club recently. But then I noticed what the real problem was and decided to report my findings. Glad to hear that this might help others as well when the fix gets implemented down the road.

- Michael

• Like 3

Yes, thanks for writing about it. I believe it is already fixed for the upcoming 4.48 release. I guess it went unnoticed, because hardly anyone uses the 12-hour format here, so even if the TD Line displays time in this format, hardly anyone is enough familiar with it to tell immediately, that the displayed hour is wrong.

And no, TDLine code is not ripped from anywhere, it is just the old ICD TD Line with some changes.

EDIT: the problem with seconds going unevenly on NTSC machines came from the fact that the time probing was synced to PAL framerate. I believe I fixed also this at the occasion.

Edited by drac030
  • Like 5

And no, TDLine code is not ripped from anywhere, it is just the old ICD TD Line with some changes.

It was a joke, but obviously not visible for other people ;)

There was a certain person here on AtariAge that was so scared to release a demo of his game, because people could steal his code. So I assumed that TDLine was probably built upon this ripped code ;) Probably anything released for a8 is based upon ripped code of his demo LOL.

• Like 6

I once typed this...

710 ? " enter amount ";

and was accused of stealing code because that was the exact same line number and wording was used...

although the program in question was for completely different idea and purpose and that was the only line that matched up or resembled anything else...

people are nuts!

a print statement is not exactly top secret... you 'code' stealing basic user you!

next we can explore the legal ramifications of using emoji :)

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2