IGNORED

Help with Atari XE System

kingfish

Hello,

Last week I bought an Atari XE System, along with several games, at a thrift store. The original power supply, along with the light gun, were included.

The console and games were very dirty. I removed the shell and, using compressed air, cleaned the board as much as I could. The metal housing is still attached. I also cleaned the cartridge slot and cartridges using rubbing alcohol.

When the console is turned on, I get the green power light. However, the tv only displays a dark green screen. I have tried several different games, as well as re-cleaning the cartridges and cartridge slot, but there's no image other than a very dark green screen. The console displays the dark green screen with or without a game.

I know nothing about circuitry or soldering and have no tools. I was hoping to find someone who could offer to repair the console, along with a rough estimate of the cost.

I'd love to have the console working and have been an Atari fan all my life.

Thank you very much.

You need to adjust the metal knobs below Atari Logo. You will notice from dark green into light blue in BASIC mode.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=aTARI+xe+gAME+machine+motherboard&view=detailv2&&id=8B918B46176F3C67545A3DAD3F5E01A79E309BD3&selectedIndex=6&ccid=21zc7S6d&simid=607992457485878229&thid=OIP.Mdb5cdced2e9dba75f806d2bf83746454o0&ajaxhist=0

For BASIC Mode, you need to plug external keyboard first.

Edited by Caterpiggle

You need to adjust the metal knobs below Atari Logo. You will notice from dark green into light blue in BASIC mode.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=aTARI+xe+gAME+machine+motherboard&view=detailv2&&id=8B918B46176F3C67545A3DAD3F5E01A79E309BD3&selectedIndex=6&ccid=21zc7S6d&simid=607992457485878229&thid=OIP.Mdb5cdced2e9dba75f806d2bf83746454o0&ajaxhist=0

For BASIC Mode, you need to plug external keyboard first.

Unfortunately, the keyboard wasn't included.

Also, I don't see any metal knobs.

Thank you.

Did you see the bing image there ?

Okay, did you see the Missile Command when you turn the computer ? The background should be black, letters should be red. I will cut the smaller image for "metal knobs" there. Please hold ...

Only the shell is off. The metal casing is still on. I didn't know how to take it off without possibly damaging it. Again, I have no experience repairing electronics and have no tools, other than some screwdrivers.

Missile Command doesn't come on. I know Missile Command is built-in but all I get is a dark green screen.

Thanks.

Can you post the picture here from your monitor ? No missile command when you turn it on ? Maybe, you need to lift all the chips and put them back carefully ! Do you have a tool that twisted metal tabs into straight tabs ? From there, you pull the metal case off once all the tabs are straight.

There you go : https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Atari+XEGS+machine+motherboard&view=detailv2&&id=ACBFAF697800AEAA9F06359001D03670EC6172E6&selectedIndex=11&ccid=Bl6voV5W&simid=608028462202949608&thid=OIP.M065eafa15e56cde9f9e410931bebfbdao0&ajaxhist=0

I think, there are 11 tabs.

I have a better way for clean the motherboard with isopropyl alcohol ! Let the motherboard dry for a few hours and dry up complete. Then try again to turn it on.

Edited by Caterpiggle

Thanks. I did manage to get the metal RF shield off and turned the knob below the Atari logo but nothing happened, other than the screen turning from a dark green to a dark red.

How does one go about "lifting the chips"? I'm terrified I'll break something since I have no idea what I'm doing.

Thanks again.

No, No, No... That adjustment pot has nothing to do with this.

This is the CPU not running at all, at least not long enough to init the GTIA.

Look for bad RAM, MMU and CPU. Could be anything, but there's where to start.

Before you go any further, measure the voltage from your power supply. Was there any banding or slowly scrolling bars, even faint ones on the screen? Any low humming from the speakers?

If over 5.3 or so, and/or banding or humming, then your power supply most likely caused the damage. If so, get a new supply.

Hello Kyle22,

What is 5.3 ? 5.3 volts power ? I would like to learn from you as possible. Will isopropyl alcohol help his motherboard ? He said, it does not work , that is strange enough ...

So you believe his CPU 65C02 does not functional anymore ? Banding or slow scrolling bars on the monitor screen ? So need a new PS , it will work on his XEGS without damaged ? I has XEGS one myself and it was sort of black/white screen. I did checked another PS, still the same results.

No, I have not been cleaned my XEGS with isopropyl alcohol yet. In 1 day, I will.

Edited by Caterpiggle

Hello Kyle22,

What is 5.3 ? 5.3 volts power ? I would like to learn from you as possible. Will isopropyl alcohol help his motherboard ? He said, it does not work , that is strange enough ...

So you believe his CPU 65C02 does not functional anymore ? Banding or slow scrolling bars on the monitor screen ? So need a new PS , it will work on his XEGS without damaged ? I has XEGS one myself and it was sort of black/white screen. I did checked another PS, still the same results.

No, I have not been cleaned my XEGS with isopropyl alcohol yet. In 1 day, I will.

Yes, 5.3 Volts. If the board is very dirty, blow it off with compressed air before getting it wet with alcohol. If you do use alcohol, use compressed air again to dry the board, then put the board outside in direct sunlight for a few hours before connecting power.

The CPU (which, in an XEGS, is a 6502C, not 65C02) may be fine. The RAM could have shorted address / data lines. Anything that prevents the CPU from running before it initializes the GTIA chip will cause a solid dark screen. Sometimes it's orange or red instead of green.

This means that it is failing immediately, and it indicates a hard fault.

Banding or scrolling bars, with or without the humming sound is an indication of an AC ripple in the power supply. If you see that, unplug immediately.

If it was the typical "Ingot" style failure, it has already done damage to the computer. You need to replace the power supply and repair the computer.