IGNORED

50 Pin SCSI CD Drive?

Tempest

What software will you use to mount the CD drive? I know with my Asim CDFS Ive had no issues using three different SCSI CD drives on my A2000. Im currently using a single disc Pioneer drive but I dont know the model number off hand.

That is a little much, but not too unreasonable. If you watch you may find one for $10 or $20, but I do not see those come up often.

PM me and I will keep you in mind as I inventory my stuff. I am trying to trim down what I am keeping on-hand, and I am certain I have a SCSI drive or two with which I can part. I might actually have a SCSI CD-RW in my old Solaris workstation.

EDIT: Here is a Plextor 40x for $22, but the shipping to me is $18.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2220434152551?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=222043415255&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Bummer. I guess I'll keep looking for a cheap one. Actually the prices on the drives themselves aren't bad, it's just that I have something against paying $20 shipping for one. They're heavy, but they're not THAT heavy.

Well if someone comes across one in a thrift store let me know, but count the pins to make sure it's not a common IDE 40 pin drive. I suppose if I really want to cheap out I can wait for VCF, there's always tons of cheap computer parts like this.

I don't even want to think about all the stuff I've passed up at thrift stores in the past thinking 'what on earth would I use this for?'. It's all too painful....

OK, but to temper my efforts, where is Accardi-by-the-sea? Assuming it's a Zork reference, where are you located? (I'm wondering if I could just find one and throw it in a flat-rate box, or would this require international shipping, etc.)

I think you're the first person to catch that.

I'm in the USA (Michigan).

• 4 weeks later...

You really need to find a copy of the Asimware software. It's the best that was made for the Amiga.

Besides Goodwill, and thrift shops, Ebay is a fair source for SCSI CD-ROM drives. Some are outrageous, price wise, but there are deals, like this one I just pulled up:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plextor-20X-SCSI-CD-ROM-drive-/222069256297?hash=item33b45bf069:g:ckYAAOSwI-BWLS0p

Make sure you get at least an 8X drive. Many Amiga CDs can get away with a 4X, but there are a few games that require the 8X drive.

I have used almost every brand you could name over the years. As long as it's SCSI II, it should work with your GVP card.

Even with an SD card adapter on my A2000, I still use the CD drive a lot. Darned handy things to have.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Checked Goodwill today, five cd drives were in stock, four ide and one firewire, which I assume contained an ide inside. Saw a SCSI Jazz drive, but couldn't think of a single use for it (which means within a month there will be a moment when I think "I knew I should have bought that Jazz drive.") Also passed on an SGI monitor cable, because if I bought it, I would then need to buy an Indy to go with it. Diminishing returns makes it almost not worth visiting the store at this point.

Another thing I plan on doing is trying to use a large Ultra SCSI hard drive (partitioned to a max of 4GB) on my A2000 using one of those cheap adapters you get on ebay. Finding actual 50 pin SCSI drives larger than 1GB is tough and they're always way expensive. This drie was free.