IGNORED

Troubleshooting recently acquired Jaguar that won't power on

FaintDeftone

Hey guys!

So I recently acquired an Atari Jaguar for my collection. A buddy of mine had one collecting dust and hooked me up. However, he did not have any cables or games, just the console itself and a controller.

The first thing I do is look up to see if any accessories I own will be compatible with the Jaguar. I read that a Genesis model 1 power brick will work and an NES RF switch will work. Cool, I got those.

I take the console home and plug it in using the Genesis model 1 power brick. The system will not power on. After doing some searching I find out the console won't power on unless a game is inserted. Okay, so I stop at my local retro gaming shop and grab the cheapest game they had, which was Cybermorph (go figure) for $5. I take it home, pop it in the Jaguar and it still won't power on. I rock the cart around to see if it has problems making contact and still no luck. I even cleaned the pins on the cartridge slot and the game itself. No luck.

I began searching online again and saw some common problems with the main board. I opened the console up and checked it out. None of the resistors or capacitors look blown or damaged. The U38 chip that commonly blows looks perfect and has no discoloration. The only thing I noticed was a little rust on the metal box in the top left corner. I'm baffled as to why it isn't working.

So now I'm at three possible reasons why this console isn't working.

1. They sold me a bad copy of Cybermorph. I believe they test all of their games prior to selling though, but this is still possible.

2. The Genesis model 1 power brick does NOT power the Jaguar and I was given bad information.

3. The main board is indeed screwed and I'm just not seeing it.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this Jaguar to not power on? Do I need an RF switch hooked up too before it'll kick on? Anything else I should try? I really do not want to junk this thing because I've never played one and wanted it for my collection for many years, but I don't want to pump a bunch of money into it if the console is bricked and it's a lost cause.

I included a link to some images on IMGUR so you guys could check out the board on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

http://imgur.com/a/2isOv

So its not powering on at all? No red light coming on on the system, or anything on screen like red screen of death?

Check your Genesis model 1 ac adapter with your genesis system again to make sure that power supply is working good. also plug something else into the same place you are plugging in the power supply to make sure your power outlet is working.

Also. its for sure a genesis model 1 power and not model 2?

could be a bad cybermorph cart, go back to the store and have the guy test the cart for you in his store (with his jag system if he has one, or get another jag game). better yet if you cant get your jag working take all that to the store too im sure the store guy could help you get it working.

Edited by JaGamer

The Genesis 1 power supply works fine with the Jag, that's not the issue. I would doubt very much that you got a bad Cybermorph cart, though it's not impossible of course, the odds are just very small. It might also be a problem w/the cart slot itself if not something else on the motherboard. More troubleshooting is necessary to narrow down the issue.

I bought a Jag from eBay as non-working for $20, said it didn't power on... first thing I did when I got it was hook it up (using the same AC Adapter and RF cable that you are using) and switch the power on. Got nothing from it. Opened it up to make sure U38 wasn't blown etc, everything looked fine. Knowing it doesn't power on without a game, I kept it switched on with a cart inserted and moved the cart around a little until I saw a power light. At which point I knew the cart connector just needed to be cleaned.

Long story short, keep it switched on and move the cart around a bit, see what happens. That'll narrow the problem down a bit.

Just because U38 looks ok does mean it is not faulty, you really need to measure the voltage on its input, output and ground pins to determine if it is getting power and actually working or not.

U38 failure is a common fault and you should be able to find instructions somewhere on AA as to who to check U38, try searching or other posts with titles regarding Jaguars not turning on/power issues

Edited by Stephen Moss

Thanks for the responses guys.

Yes, I tested the Genesis power brick. It does indeed work. I have two of them too (one for a SegaCD) and tried both. No dice.

I also tried jiggling the cart around to see if the power would kick on. No luck there either. I'll see if I can get a hold of a multimeter and check out that U38 chip.

I'm also going to call the game shop that I bought Cybermorph at since I know they have a Jaguar for sale and see if they'll hook mine up and test it with another game in their inventory. I wouldn't see why they wouldn't help me out (unless they don't like money because I spend a lot of it there).

The only thing I have not done yet is clean the Cybermorph cart pins and cart slot on the Jag with rubbing alcohol. Think that would make a big difference or is that a shot in the dark?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by FaintDeftone

"So I recently acquired an Atari Jaguar for my collection. A buddy of mine had one collecting dust"

The only thing I have not done yet is clean the Cybermorph cart pins and cart slot on the Jag with rubbing alcohol. Think that would make a big difference or is that a shot in the dark?

Yes this should have been the first thing to do if the stuff was dusty at all, give a very good cleaning to cart slot and cybermorph cart.

Jaguar cart slots have no flaps so exposed to dust and air, and nearly all cybermorph carts have been floating around since 1994 as loose carts only, again with exposed contacts etc.

I very recently sold a guy a Jaguar system in working order, but it didn't include a game. He bought a used Cybermorph and was getting the red screen of death. He proceeded to attempt to get a refund from me, thinking the system was the problem... I called him up and explained to him the used cart he bought was the problem and that it needed cleaning. He cleaned it, Jag system worked, end of story.

If you still can't get it working, take it to your store and test other Jag games on your system, etc.

Edited by JaGamer

"So I recently acquired an Atari Jaguar for my collection. A buddy of mine had one collecting dust"

Yes this should have been the first thing to do if the stuff was dusty at all, give a very good cleaning to cart slot and cybermorph cart.

Jaguar cart slots have no flaps so exposed to dust and air, and nearly all cybermorph carts have been floating around since 1994 as loose carts only, again with exposed contacts etc.

I very recently sold a guy a Jaguar system in working order, but it didn't include a game. He bought a used Cybermorph and was getting the red screen of death. He proceeded to attempt to get a refund from me, thinking the system was the problem... I called him up and explained to him the used cart he bought was the problem and that it needed cleaning. He cleaned it, Jag system worked, end of story.

If you still can't get it working, take it to your store and test other Jag games on your system, etc.

Awesome, hopefully it's that simple. I thought cleaning it was a shot in the dark since both the cartridge and the cart slot both looked fairly clean but I'll give it a shot. If a $1 bottle of rubbing alcohol breathes life into this thing then I'll be a happy camper. I also saw an older post where a guy had a bad Cybermorph cart so hopefully it is something stupid like this. The shop did have a $10 Dino Dudes I could grab that wouldn't break the bank.

Well before paying any more for Jag games could clean your system real well then take it to your store and test all jag games he has.

If your system is still dead then its something internal.

Are you also positive your NES RF switch is in good working order? Those are commonly known to stop working, those old NES RFs.

Also if you use RF make sure your tv on the right channel 3 or 4. you can even adjust channel 3 or 4 on back of Jag.

I cleaned the contacts on the cartridge and the pins on the console with rubbing alcohol, q-tips and fabric really well. Still no power.

Honestly I haven't even connected an RF switch to the console yet. I'm just trying to get it to power on.

Next route I may just take it to my game shop and try a different cartridge. If that doesn't work then I may just give up since I don't have the knowledge to start replacing chips and capacitors on the motherboard.

slim chance but what if the power light doesn't work but system is on.

ya take it to the shop with some luck its just a bad cartridge.

One more thing to try, insert and remove the game cartridge into the system like 20 times, with the power off of course.

this further cleans and might readjust pins etc.

another thing to try, insert cart, lean it back then power on. also try insert cart, lean it forward and power on.

I have a buddy of mine who's bringing a multi-meter to test some of the components on the board. Upon further inspection, I did notice this capacitor/resistor has some white stuff around the base, but it looks fine for the most part. Is this a sign that the cap leaked or anything? Just curious.

wrRO0Fj.png

Welp, bad news. I took the console to a game shop who had a Jaguar and several games. They hooked all of their working console's components to mine and popped in a game. No power. They even hooked their Jag up to the same stuff and it kicked right on. Mine definitely has some board damage somewhere. My only option now is to take it to an electronics repair shop and get the caps replaced, but I'm not confident with a soldering iron and it would probably cost the same just to go buy another working Jaguar. I think I'll just give this one back to the guy who gave it to me and call it a day.

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it.

• Like 1

You could try this guy who fixes Jags

"Atari-Jaguar-repair-service-u38-no-power-FIXED-partial-refund-if-unsuccessful"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-Jaguar-repair-service-u38-no-power-FIXED-partial-refund-if-unsuccessful-/131538121448?hash=item1ea04872e8:g:yUMAAOSwPcVVgYTA

Yeah that's probably a really bad idea: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/246579-jaguar-cd-repair-by-onalok

• Like 2