IGNORED

100mb IDE TDOS and CP/M

Milli V

If you have experience with the 100mb IDE on the Adam maybe you can answer a few questions:

1. How do I get CP/M on one of the partitions? Or can I? I have the DDT

2. How compatible is TDOS with CP/M?

3. Since the IDE adapter uses the same slot as the AdamLink is it right to assume that I have to copy any software to DDT from the IDE, remove the IDE and put in the AdamLink to be able to use it?

If you have experience with the 100mb IDE on the Adam maybe you can answer a few questions:

1. How do I get CP/M on one of the partitions? Or can I? I have the DDT

2. How compatible is TDOS with CP/M?

3. Since the IDE adapter uses the same slot as the AdamLink is it right to assume that I have to copy any software to DDT from the IDE, remove the IDE and put in the AdamLink to be able to use it?

I will go to question 2 first; TDOS ( Tony Morehen's Disk Operating System) is a CPM 2.2 twin - even better with more useable memory and a other improvements. It runs all CPM programs and is for all intents and purposes CPM itself. For instance, in Printmaster, TDOS will support using all three phases (borders, graphics, text) while CPM only has enough memory to support two phases.

I don't know how to get it onto a partition due to the fact that when the "hard drive" software was written by Tony Morehen, he implemented TDOS as the operating sytem of choice.

Yes, you would have to remove the IDE card in order to insert the modem for use. IF you need the modem badly, there was a center slot IDE/printer card that Mark Gordon made, and there may be some floating out there on the internet; but I have never seen one for sale.

Edited by adamcon

#1 - You can't seeing as loading CP/M will overwrite the IDE drivers and therefore make the IDE device inaccessible.

#2 - There are some compatibility issues between CP/M and T-DOS, but mainly programs there were specifically configured for CP/M's 32 column screen such as some of the Infocom text adventures... that's why you'll see two versions of some of them.

#3 - Never saw the Interface Card that Bob is referring to. The only option would be a Serial Card that plugs into Slot #2 (MIB #2 or 3 ???) or the Eve SP-1 that connects to the side Expansion Slot. The down side is you would need an external Hayes compatible modem then and patch your software to access these hardware items.

ED: I think I recall the card Bob mentioned and will check tonight if the schematics and software were part of what I saved from the Micro Innovations' website.

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 1

I believe you have to configure TDOS for your system and tell it what drives you have, etc.

Hmm - if TDOS is compatible that is ok but TDOS does not seem to give me any option to access a DDT so I can move software over from my CP/M tapes. It says drive E is tape but its an invalid drive when I try to get to it.

It's been a long time since I made a fresh install of T-DOS to a diskette (not CF Card), but usually the Data Drive (s) would be assigned a drive letter from A thru D depending on your system setup. I'll have to check how things are configured on my CF Card and test things with the T-Dos setup program to refresh my memory. Better yet, test things with Adamem and the CF image files.

When I run drives12.com in TDOS it shows me the 4 partitions as A - D and then Tape as E - I have 2 tapes - and if I try to access E it gives me an error (TDOS Error on E: Invalid Drive Abort, Fail?) - it is an obvious valid drive - I booted up the system on it.

Anyone know if there are any docs on TDOS? The ones in the install are not very helpful and some of the programs they refer too aren't even on the CF card. Especially how to set it up, I severely hate the purple text on white. Prefer dark green on black - easy on the eyes

Milli

Anyone know if there are any docs on TDOS? The ones in the install are not very helpful and some of the programs they refer too aren't even on the CF card. Especially how to set it up, I severely hate the purple text on white. Prefer dark green on black - easy on the eyes

I'm glad you're exploring this topic. I also approached some limitations running TDOS off of the IDE drive. When I tried to save my color scheme to disk, I blew away my TDOS partition all together. Had to run to Target to purchase a CF card reader so that I could use NIAD's method of cloning the disk images back to the CF card.

There are definitely some ambiguities, but hopefully we can create some easy to understand documentation on how to better use the software.

• 1 year later...

Have you ever actually gotten Printmaster to work? I can load it, but never seem to be able to do anything with it.

I will go to question 2 first; TDOS ( Tony Morehen's Disk Operating System) is a CPM 2.2 twin - even better with more useable memory and a other improvements. It runs all CPM programs and is for all intents and purposes CPM itself. For instance, in Printmaster, TDOS will support using all three phases (borders, graphics, text) while CPM only has enough memory to support two phases.

• 6 years later...