IGNORED

Masters of the Universe: He-Man opinions (Intellivisionaries)

As a huge fan of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe myself. I find the Intellivision game repetitive myself. When you are flying in the ship in the first part I find it hard to dodge the asteroids at times and rather boring. And when dropping bombs on Skeletor it doesn't make sense he keeps returning. And then the battle at Castle Greyskull goes for 3 rounds dodging sword attacks with your shield then a brief sword fight only to do it over at an increased difficulty. Graphically, musically, and controls it is excellent but the gameplay is subpar. I give it a C+.

Reminds me of Krull or the Tron arcade game, basic gameplay model, a few iconic items or locations represented from the license, you could do worse lol. Was actually thinking the whole video game crash business pretty much screwed up any more He-Man games from happening for a long time, Mattel was basically out of the business and when the NES came out the license wasn't popular anymore, the Lundgren movie was a stretch in 1987.

Funny thing about the movie, at first they didn't want too much violence and death to keep with the children's show aspects but nearing the end of the production He-Man sales were dropping fast so they were like "Yeah sure, He-Man can kill as much as likes, go ahead and make him rape & pillage." lol, but the movie was basically done so too late. :lolblue:

• Like 1

Basically what Retrogamer 81081 said...

I just recently played it for the first time on emulation and had really been looking forward to it.

I am not dissapointed and not thrilled either.

As a graphicaholic I think it seems like one of the better ones.

A Masters of The Universe II (although with a different name due to licensing issues I guess) would be fun.

Perhaps with, among other things, a swordfight more in the style of one-to-one combat like in Tower of Doom.

Btw, speaking of NES, since I do not yet have an Inty controller and Retronic adapter I play the Inty games that allow it with NES and SNES USB clone controllers.

In this case you need the SNES controller to be able to both shoot and drop bombs.

Anyways, all in all, a fun game.

• Like 1

When I first saw it in a catalogue around 1982/83 it said it was a childrens game; so I never paid much attention to it. After seeing the actual game it still seems like a childrens game.

Makes sense. He-Man was very much targeted at younger children, even by 80s standards. It was only years later (and thanks to nostalgia) that adults would even conceive of having this conversation.

The irony of course is that kids were, and still are, generally much better at video games than adults. Very simple "kid" games are more suited to my mother. :lol:

Great graphics, music, sound effects and decent gameplay. A little repetitive maybe, but there's fun to be had picking off fireballs as you're trying to bomb the Skeletors. Consider it a must have for the system and like it much better than the 2600 version. Disagree about it being too kiddie like (it's no Smurf/Sydney) and yes, need to read the manual on this one! A solid B IMO.

I like it. As for repetitive, most Intellivision games are (I remember getting bored playing Pitfall because after a while its just the same screens going or simple variations of them).

The sound effects, animations, and graphics are really cool -- I especially like the "chink!" sound the swords make when they hit.

I find it challenging, but not frustratingly so. I remember playing this game in the HSC a few years back and it was one of the better ones that I enjoyed.

Oh, and all that from someone who didn't care about He-Man or the Masters Of The Universe because I had already outgrew them by the time they came out -- and I didn't own the game when I was a kid.

-dZ.

Fun fact: My wife's name is She-Ra. :cool:

Edited by DZ-Jay

I'm more of a colecovision guy but it's an ongoing regret of that community that the masters of the Universe rom has never been released for colecovision. I think if it ever is released we'll feel very much the same about it as you do about the intellivision version.

I like the presentation of the game but the flying aspect really doesn't fit the masters of the universe storyline very well. It's a space shooter?

It should have been a platformer. The comic print ads look great too though and the title music is spot on.

They spent so much time on the greyskull external graphic and it's not even a playable scene? You just run by it.

• Like 1

I'm more of a colecovision guy but it's an ongoing regret of that community that the masters of the Universe rom has never been released for colecovision. I think if it ever is released we'll feel very much the same about it as you do about the intellivision version.

I like the presentation of the game but the flying aspect really doesn't fit the masters of the universe storyline very well. It's a space shooter?

It should have been a platformer. The comic print ads look great too though and the title music is spot on.

They spent so much time on the greyskull external graphic and it's not even a playable scene? You just run by it.

Here Masters of the Universe as a platform game. It's an early version of the unfinished game; and that work was reused in Diner.

• Like 4

Yeah really, c'mon Keith, release the damn ROM already! :-D

It's not Keith who is delaying the release, it's (a bit ironically) Mattel. They own the rights to the He-Man toys/games, and have dragged their feet about allowing the CV version to be put out there, over concern about something as "retro looking" as that not properly representing the intellectual property these days.

Sent from my Intellivision ECS using Intelli-Tapatalk

Sorry my english, guys.

I bought the He-man in 1987. I played to exhausted! I discovery a lot of interesting things. My record is more that 3 millions of points. Beyond of certain level (1 or 2 millions, I don't remember) the difficulty not increase.

The first phase (fireballs) is boring because you can use the trick to kill squeletors before him fire any fireball. Repeat this action until almost run out of fuel (if you played right, you will kill 80 skeletor).

In level two the action is very good. Your shield is useless and the power-bolts are guided to He-man, is very hard dodge this shots. But, there are a little help.

I think that there are a bug in advanced levels. Skeletor lets out many swords in short time and each sword add 30 or 60 seconds in your time.

But BE CAREFUL: The clock time have a limit of 255 seconds. If you have more than 230 seconds in your clock and you gain a sword, the new time will "reset" the clock time to zero and add the extra time.

Example: You have 230s and get a sword (+30s).
230 + 30 = 260
260 - 255 = 5 seconds!

• Like 2

The first phase (fireballs) is boring because you can use the trick to kill squeletors before him fire any fireball. Repeat this action until almost run out of fuel (if you played right, you will kill 80 skeletor).

What's "the trick"? How do you do it?

In level two the action is very good. Your shield is useless and the power-bolts are guided to He-man, is very hard dodge this shots. But, there are a little help.

I think that there are a bug in advanced levels. Skeletor lets out many swords in short time and each sword add 30 or 60 seconds in your time.

But BE CAREFUL: The clock time have a limit of 255 seconds. If you have more than 230 seconds in your clock and you gain a sword, the new time will "reset" the clock time to zero and add the extra time.

Example: You have 230s and get a sword (+30s).

230 + 30 = 260

260 - 255 = 5 seconds!

Interesting. I will have to try this.

Getting some good things to ask the programmers - assuming I can get an interview.

Sent from my Intellivision ECS using Intelli-Tapatalk

BITD I really enjoyed this game. The music, Castle Greyskull, and I was sold. Sure it was repetitive but I was ok with that. Most games were back then. Plus I loved the box art. I'm going to start playing it again and see how my scores compare to the intellivisionaries. ;)

• Like 3

BITD I really enjoyed this game. The music, Castle Greyskull, and I was sold. Sure it was repetitive but I was ok with that. Most games were back then. Plus I loved the box art. I'm going to start playing it again and see how my scores compare to the intellivisionaries. ;)

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you will beat Rick and Will handily.

:P

...well, at least Rick.

Edited by nurmix