IGNORED

Dedicated Windows 98-based emulation machine

nd2003grad

Hello AtariAge friends!

First off, I'm so happy to be a new member of a supportive and helpful community such as this one. I silently watch a lot, and you all are quite the bunch.

I have several questions for all the experts here. I'm new to emulating anything computer system-wise. It's a way for me to see if I want to purchase some of these machines that I'm mostly too young to have used in the future. However, I have some special issues.

I have a WEAK machine (old HP from about 1998) with pathetic RAM and hard drive. I tried to install a Linux dual-boot to no avail as I can't find a decent package that supports my old AMD processor. This machine was free and I love it because it has non-emulated real DOS in its final form. However, I am trying to emulate some other machines on it. Here's what I've got so far with attached issues.

1. Atari 8-bit AND ST: I've been trying both Xformer and Gemulator for this purpose. I can't get anything to run. Since I'm also learning the OS's for these machines at the same time, it's rough. Can anybody tell me WHERE TO PLACE THE PROGRAMS FOR THEM TO BE RECOGNIZED?

2. Apple II: Shockingly, I've had the greatest luck with this emulator. However, I can't seem to figure out the controls completely. This one has worked out the best.

3. Commodore 64: Frodo seems pretty good and runs, but starting any programs turns them out scrambled. I also cannot figure out how to run a tape program for the life of me.

4. Amiga: I think I'm most interested in the Commodore systems...and I finally got this up and working but have not successfully been able to start a program yet (but the OS is running). I think I took release 1.3.0.

5. Arcadia 2001: I have an emulator, but the controls don't seem to work right. Can't remember what it is called (at work).

6. O2--Currently unable to find anything that isn't straight-DOS.

7. 7800: Does anyone suggest anything on this? This is kind of a by-the-way.

Most other systems I've been successfully emulating on my WII and am happy with that for the newer systems. It's just not ideal for me with my setup.

OVERARCHING QUESTIONS:

1. I am having to search for items which work in Windows 98, and not an updated version at that (internet currently impossible; dial-up only). Do any of you know a reasonable Linux distro that might work on this processor? It has kernel issues with the likes of Lubuntu and all of 4GB hard drive.

2. Does anyone know if these are decent emulators, or if I need something else? Specifically, is there any release of HATARI that is 98-compatible? I know that has a good rep.

3. Am I doing something terribly wrong here? I KNOW this can be done and well at that!

Thank you all.

I'm good at overloading myself.

How about the 8-bit and/or ST emulators? The main issue I currently have is where to put the games to get them recognized, and if there are better emulators for these systems. I guess this goes with the Linux question, if anyone thinks I'd have better luck running Linux emulation.

Hello AtariAge friends!

First off, I'm so happy to be a new member of a supportive and helpful community such as this one. I silently watch a lot, and you all are quite the bunch.

I have several questions for all the experts here. I'm new to emulating anything computer system-wise. It's a way for me to see if I want to purchase some of these machines that I'm mostly too young to have used in the future. However, I have some special issues.

I have a WEAK machine (old HP from about 1998) with pathetic RAM and hard drive. I tried to install a Linux dual-boot to no avail as I can't find a decent package that supports my old AMD processor. This machine was free and I love it because it has non-emulated real DOS in its final form. However, I am trying to emulate some other machines on it. Here's what I've got so far with attached issues.

1. Atari 8-bit AND ST: I've been trying both Xformer and Gemulator for this purpose. I can't get anything to run. Since I'm also learning the OS's for these machines at the same time, it's rough. Can anybody tell me WHERE TO PLACE THE PROGRAMS FOR THEM TO BE RECOGNIZED?

2. Apple II: Shockingly, I've had the greatest luck with this emulator. However, I can't seem to figure out the controls completely. This one has worked out the best.

3. Commodore 64: Frodo seems pretty good and runs, but starting any programs turns them out scrambled. I also cannot figure out how to run a tape program for the life of me.

4. Amiga: I think I'm most interested in the Commodore systems...and I finally got this up and working but have not successfully been able to start a program yet (but the OS is running). I think I took release 1.3.0.

5. Arcadia 2001: I have an emulator, but the controls don't seem to work right. Can't remember what it is called (at work).

6. O2--Currently unable to find anything that isn't straight-DOS.

7. 7800: Does anyone suggest anything on this? This is kind of a by-the-way.

Most other systems I've been successfully emulating on my WII and am happy with that for the newer systems. It's just not ideal for me with my setup.

OVERARCHING QUESTIONS:

1. I am having to search for items which work in Windows 98, and not an updated version at that (internet currently impossible; dial-up only). Do any of you know a reasonable Linux distro that might work on this processor? It has kernel issues with the likes of Lubuntu and all of 4GB hard drive.

2. Does anyone know if these are decent emulators, or if I need something else? Specifically, is there any release of HATARI that is 98-compatible? I know that has a good rep.

3. Am I doing something terribly wrong here? I KNOW this can be done and well at that!

Thank you all.

1: For the ST and that time period you should be fine with Pacifist and I recall Winston was also an option. For 8-bit comps there was Atari800 which was created in 95 and you should be able to track a version of it compatible with 98 with some searching.

2: Should not be surprised by that at all as it was emulated quite well early on and is a simple system. Which emulator are you using?

3: Go grab a copy of CCS64 from their page that is V1 or V2 not sure if V3 would work on your setup.

4: UAE

5:

6: Try O2em?

7: V7800 would be an option.

The emus I've suggested were the best for the time however that does not mean that newer versions would not work however may run slower than you'd like. Aside from some ST/ most Amiga stuff you should have an emulation experience for the other systems that is decent. Emulation during this time was still in its infancy and people would go nuts over low frame rates just to see something emulated as it was all new to the masses.

Go to Zophars page for emus as he has a decent selection of the old stuff( not complete by any means) and you can find emus from the Win 98 time frame.

• Like 1

Go to these sites for a look and download dsl.4.11 rc2 iso

http://distro.ibiblio.org/damnsmall/release_candidate/

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=damnsmall

and go to basiclinux link and download it. It will run from windows 98 or from a ms dos computer

http://distro.ibiblio.org/baslinux/

good luck

Atari 8-bit/5200: As skosh said, drop Xformer and use Atari800. The newest version still provides separate releases for DOS and Win98, and it is verified to work on a 1998ish Pentium 2/233 MHz monster of a machine ^_^. If the Windows version doesn't run at full speed, try the DOS version as AFAIK it's less processor-hungry.

Alternately, if you don't like the spartan interface of Atari800, try Atari800WinPLus with its Windows UI. Although the project is dead since few years and less emulation-accurate than Atari800.

C64: I remember using CCS64 version 2 back then. Also, I don't know if current versions of VICE still support Win98, but it may be worth to try it.

Amiga: Try an old version of WinUAE (newest versions may be too processor-intensive). I also used WinFellow back in the day, which provided not bad emulation accuracy and still worked at 100% speed.

Atari 7800: I used some 2002-2003 version of MESS for this purpose.

Linux: Well, on current Linuxes the graphics drivers are still not as optimised as on Windows (they are working on streamlining the Linix graphics stack, but its still work-in-progress, keywords: Wayland, Mir), and it was even worse in 2000. So typically, a graphics application would work a bit slower on Linux than its Windows or DOS version. I would dissuade you from using Linix for emulation on such an old machine, as it would steal significant portion of the precious CPU time.

Edited by Kr0tki

Thank you for the input on this. I keep getting an error on the Atari 800 emulator, I do have the necessary OS files but I cannot figure out how to get the emulator to recognize them. Any help there? Having a similar issue with the TOS on pacifist. Thank you for the Linux advice!!!

Thanks, folks! I've had some success and some failures.

1. Still unable to get PacifiST to recognize TOS files. I don't quite understand how to work this program.

2. CCS64 ROCKS! I just need sound.

3. WinUAE works, but pretty slow and sound is garbled (1.3.0)

4. Apple is too slow to function.

5. Arcadia is too slow to function.

6. I FINALLY figured out Atari800 and it works FLAWLESSLY.

I'm sure there are some tweaks I can make to improve function on some of these.

Specifically, thank you Dragonstomper for the 800 info!