IGNORED

What's Your All-Time Favorite Video Game?

I was recently watching a video that suggested that most people get so accustomed to certain genres that they run the risk of never listening to their favorite song, watching their favorite movie or playing their favorite video game. I think it's really important to go out of your way to try something different every once in a while, so I'm sharing a list with my favorite video games, but more importantly, I encourage you to tell me which is your favorite game and share a story related to that game. Hopefully, this will inspire me (and other people who read this forum) to try something that I wouldn't have played otherwise.

Day of the Tentacle is one of my favorite games because I played that game for the first time while I was still in college. I remember getting up really early in the morning to play that point-and-click adventure game and I have some fond memories about it because 1) although i was playing an old game, it was all new and fresh to me which is rarely the case with most games 2) those Lucas Arts were hilarious, so in a way, whenever you made progress, you were rewarded with jokes and 3) Day of the Tentacle was one of the first games that inspired me to start my own blog. I wanted to share my experience with the game so bad, that I had to write a review and share it with others. I leave the link below, but I can't wait to hear about your favorite games!

Eric's 10 Favorite Games of All Time

Honestly I can't select one game for an all time favorite, but I have multiple:

1. Ocarina of Time

2. Doom

3. Counter Strike

4. Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal

5. Super Mario World

6. Sonic 3 and Knuckles

7. Majora's Mask

8. A Link to the Past

9. Super Mario Bros. 3

10. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

• Like 1

Wow! This has always been a tough question for me to answer. There are so many great games out there and it is difficult to condense thousands upon thousands that I have played in my life to just one or a handful. I will spill out my top ten list starting from 10 down to my all time favorite.

10. H.E.R.O. (Atari 2600): H.E.R.O. is my all time favorite Atari 2600 game. You control Roderick Hero who is rescuing miners trapped in the caves. You use sticks of dynamite to blow up walls and a certain amount of oxygen that replenishes. It gets harder and harder but all in all addicting.

9. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis): I first played Sonic 2 in early 1993 at demo kiosk at Babbage's. I was hooked and amazed despite really enjoying the first. This version debuted Tails who you can have the option to join on the adventure. The soundtrack, two player split screen, bonus stages, and the awesome level designs keep you coming back for more.

8. Yoshi's Island (SNES): I actually scoffed at this game first hand in 1996 but soon after, boy was I wrong!! I thought it was a kiddy game and provided an easy challenge. I was impressed!! This provides a great challenge, fun levels, and very imaginative in the get go. The boss fights are some of the best I have ever played in a game!! A tremendous soundtrack as well!

7. Bonk's Revenge (TG-16): I first played Bonk's Revenge in early 1992 at a friend's house during a sleepover over the weekend. Having been somewhat familiar with the first one, I have never played it. Bonk is one of the most underrated platformers and video game series. You control a bald headed caveman who bashes and headbutts enemies with his forehead. And powerful when eats meat. The graphics are colorful, awesome soundtrack, and fun bonus stages that bring a ton of replay value.

6. Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse (NES): In Christmas 1990 I got the game I wanted so bad. Dracula's Curse will forever be my favorite Castlevania game of all time with 4 and Symphony of the Night just a mere close second and third. Dracula's Curse has a beautiful soundtrack, perfect difficulty, as Trevor Belmont you have Alucard, Sypha, and or Grant alongside with you in the journey.

5. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade): In 1990-1991 when I went to my local arcades in the Seattle area, this is one of the machines that me and my buddies used to play. And many times have accomplished it. I always played as Rafael as he is my favorite Ninja Turtle as he fits my sarcastic and crude sense of humor. It is a fairly short but a fun beat em up for the ages. Great graphics, voices, and soundtrack.

4. Gran Turismo (Playstation): Back in my later High School days I enjoyed playing Gran Turismo. I dub it as the best racing game on the market. Buy vehicles and fix them up to race and win money to fill your garage. I spent countless hours doing endurance races to win a boatload of money. Always and will be my favorite game series in the racing genre.

3. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2): Vice City circa 1986/1987. You play as Tommy Vercetti a 35 year old just out of Prison in Liberty City. You must recover the money in a drug deal gone bad to Sonny Forelli. This is my favorite Grand Theft Auto game of all time. It replicates what lifevwas like in that particular era of the 80's. The music, cars, wardrobe, etc. You can play missions, do oddjobs, cruise around, or wreak havoc. This is another addicting game and one that you will lose track of time.

2. Goldeneye (N64): I was about to start my Junior Year in High School when Goldeneye was released in late summer of 1997. That was the main reason why I wanted a Nintendo 64. I was mesmerized and a loss of words when I first played it. Completing objectives, earning many cheat codes, and bringing your friends over for a multiplayer fest and blasting everyone with the lights out and the surround sound blasted. This is my favorite N64 game and one that gave me many memories.

1. Legend of Zelda (NES): This is the game that represented and defined my childhood. I used to spend hours and hours on weekends and day offs from school playing the Legend of Zelda. Bombing every inch of rock, burning every single tree, looking for clues, rupees, exploring dungeons for the missing triforce pieces by the guardians, and any item you can think of two rescue Princess Zelda from Ganondorf. There are two quests each with different areas for items, hints, shops, etc. It is the most amazing and quintessential adventure game, I couldn't put the controller down. This is one of the NES games that is a must own for everyone and for your library.

• Like 4

I love these threads. I may come back and change it at some point, but off the top of my head (many of these are sentimental)

1. Kirby's Adventure
  2. Dig Dug
  3. Streets of Rage 2
  4. Wario Land
  5. Tempest
  6. Circus Atari
  7. Gunstar Heroes
  8. Castlevania III
  9. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
  10. too many others to think of. I'm better at listing my favorite music. I'd like to put Balloon Fight here but with how much I'm loving Bayonetta 2 and Rayman Legends, they may make their way up to the top 10.

My personal Top 10 is a little eclectic, but after thorough consideration of all the games I've played over the last 26 years or so here's the list I've come to:

10. Castlevania (NES)

9. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Xbox 360)

8. Tomb Raider (PlayStation)

7. Star Fox Adventures (GameCube)

6. Ōkami (Wii)

5. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles (Sega Genesis)

4. Mortal Kombat (Sega Genesis)

3. The Ultimate Doom (MS-DOS)

2. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (Game Boy Color)

1. Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PlayStation)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 1

Since "What's your favorite game" is always the first question I'm asked when I tell someone I collect games, I decided on an answer even though I hate to pick just one. Chrono Trigger is what I consider my favorite game of all time. The game is amazing for the gameplay, story, music, impact, everything. The story is funny, yet serious and engaging. It never misses a beat, every side quest matters, and there is no fluff. The gameplay is simple but incredibly deep. Chrono Trigger even impacted the gaming scene as a whole, being the first game with a new game plus and having a (perfectly executed) morality system before every game ever had one. The soundtrack is beautiful: there are amazing battle songs, peaceful overworold tunes, great character themes, and so much more! I could go on for hours about the memorable bosses, moments, just everything. I'm proud to say I own an original copy (well over 100 dollars many times now) and anything wrong with the game is just a nitpick at best. If anyone is interested, there is a great ProJared video on the subject of Chrono Trigger that describes just how great it is (with a spoiler warning before the spoilers start too). Oh yea, and the game has 13 endings. Every choice you make matters. Your decisions can save lives or let people die, get more or less party members, extra boss fights, cool items, or change the ending. So there's my rant.

I enjoyed reading everyone else's favorites too! Thanks guys!

KreatorKat

Edited by KreatorKat
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

I personally don't have a top 10 personal favorite. But two that are my all time best is Shenmue for the Sega Dreamcast and Magician Lord for the Neo-Geo.

Shenmue really was a ground breaking title for its time and even to this day, I'll find something new inside the game that will make me think about replaying the game to see the beauty that exist in this time that Yu Suzuki made for us to enjoy!

Magician Lord was a title that help show me the way of the Neo-Geo and why this gem was the foundation for me loving the platform. I've never seen anything like it with amazing gameplay, atmospheric backgrounds and music that really was superior compared to what Nintendo, Sega, and NEC had during this time period. Best launch title to this very day for me!

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 3

Ah jeez, I can't decide so here's a few that I'd argue for being my favorite

Splatterhouse:

I seriously don't know why I'm into this game, but I am. I played it in an arcade a few years back, and ever since then I've loved the series, bought all the games, and even bought the same arcade board I played it on. All I know is that I keep coming back to it, and I haven't got bored of it.

Wolfenstein 3D:

My first major FPS game, and still a fun one. There are lots of nice mods for the game, the game itself is fun and takes a while, and plays fine to me.

Star Fighter:

This was my first game (on my 3DO back in 2005) and I still like it. You can fly through the world, it looks pretty good, and it's not too hard. The amount of missions is nice too, and it takes me a good while to finish it.

Timesplitters 2:

I played this game a ton at cousins houses, and when I need a fun little party shooter game I bring it out. It plays kind-of like Goldeneye, but it has lots of comedic elements.

Team Fortress 2:

This was THE game that got me into serious gaming. While the game itself isn't serious, there used to be some competetive stuff and I've loved it since I bought it in 2007. I can remember all the updates, held administrator ranks in servers, helped others, and traded a ton of stuff. I think I have ~3000 hours if you count my old Steam account and the current one, and I'm not letting that number stop growing any time soon.

Garry's Mod:

Another Source Engine game, this one was just fun. I got GMod while it was still GMod 9 (I think it's 13 now, don't remember) around when I bought TF2, and I just like it. The amount of mods, game modes, and random stuff you can do is appealing to me, and it's fairly simple to learn how to build - learning some mods like Wiremod can be tougher (I learned some lua just for E2s...) but they're still great.

So yeah, just a few games.

• Like 1

Secret of mana is one of the games I played the most. It did Impact me a lot back then. But it's shallow and kinda dumb. I still did another playthrough recently though... It's like going back home and having mom spoil me... Pure nostalgia.

Now the Street fighter series might be my favorite. I did Play SFII back in the day, and it also Impact me. But it's deep, it's challenging and the series keeps evolving. I've been playing Street Fighter 4 and it's one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had from gaming. Getting better at a game that complex is something that really makes gaming feel like much more than a time killer and and actual Hobby worth investing time into.

I also like lots of different shooters, oldschool arcade games, but if I had to Name a couple more games they would be Dark Souls and Monster Hunter. They are both Kind of a mix between Street fighter's depth with Secret of mana progressive gameplay nature. Deep Action RPGs with balanced interesting mechanics. Very worth a try, specially for People tired of easy shallow dumbed down games. But the learning curve on the is steep.

Guest LiqMat

Absolutely hands down Outcast for the PC from Appeal in 1999. The fact the original devs bought the rights to the game and updated it recently to v1.1 on GOG and upgraded to HD resolutions only sweetened the deal for me.

http://www.fresh3d.com

Edited by LiqMat

Sega Rally

Super Mario 64

Phoenix

10 Yard Fight

Doom 64

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Streets of Rage I and II

Moon Patrol

Donkey Kong

Virtua Racing

Daytona USA

Mario Brothers

OutRun

Panzer Dragoon 1-2

Tomb Raider 1-2

Star Wars Arcade

Star Wars Trilogy

Phantasy Star Online

Revenge of Shinobi

Super Mario Brothers

Punch Out

Super CastleVania IV

Contra

Pac-Man

Ms. Pac-Man

Zaxxon

SubRoc

Dragon's Slayer

Popful Mail

Terminator Sega CD

Alien 3

Tempest 2000

AVP (Atari Jaguar)

BattleMorph

Sonic 1-2

Sonic Adventure

HOTD 1 and II

JetGrind Radio

Virtua Cop ! and II

Altered Beast

Guardian Heroes

VF2

StreetFighter II

Mortal Kombat 1 - II

Mario 3D Land

StarFox

Star Fox 64

Asterroids

Asteroids Deluxe

Space Duel

Jungle Hunt

Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb

Project Gotham 1-4

Road Rash Series

• Like 1

+1 for Super Metroid. That game just holds up so well. It never feels dated at all to me and the atmosphere of the game is so damn real. The music is so spot on. It feels like you are there. It's made so well it is unreal.

Battletoads is my runner up. I love the level of challenge. It's a game that challenges you, but isn't ungodly unfair. The music and presention is so cool. To me it is the embodiment of what an amazing NES game is. Pure nostalgia every time I play it. I'm instantly a kid again excitedly dodging obstacles in the turbo tunnel all over again.

I'm huge into fighting games and I have to give a huge nod to Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike and Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. I know there are two crowds when it comes to these games. They like one and hate the other. But these games are just so amazing to play against someone. When you have two skillful players such amazing things can happen in 3s and the game has such depth that it made my friends that never played a fighting game get sucked in. So much to learn and practice. I still see things to this day I have never seen. I've been playing and watching this for 11 years. Super Turbo is the absolute pinnacle of old school fighting games. It's funny how many people gave up on SF2 by the time this came out. They missed out on arguably the best fighting game ever made. It's another title that instantly makes me feel like a kid again and to me that's the whole reason I love retro games.

• Like 1

Man, how do you pick just one? There's so much variety out there, and you expect me to huck it all out the window in favor of one simple experience? C'mon, dude!

I suppose, if someone put a gun to my head and forced me to pick- Katamari Forever. The Katamari series has a wonderful balance of the pick-up-and-play nature of most retro games, and the story driven long-haul style of the modern era. There's varied levels that change up how you approach your rolling. Honestly, I'd put the whole series up as a potential 'best ever'- but since we're going for a single game, I'll pick the one that combines some of the best stages from the whole run.

Other favorite titles:

Demon Attack- I've only played the Intellivision version thus far, but it's a fantastic lil' shooter that somehow keeps its Jaws-theme soundtrack from getting too old.

Guardian Legend- an adventure game meets shooter for the NES that'll make you wonder why no one else did the same thing. I may be biased, this is tied to one of my best childhood gaming stories.

Klonoa 2: Luntea's Veil- One of the best platformers I've ever played. It's not terribly difficult... think Kirby... but it's gorgeous and fun.

Elite Beat Agents: I love rhythm games, and this is one of the most unique & entertaining ones you'll ever come across. I picked EBA over its Japanese counterparts simply for song familiarity- and I have to give them props for making a brand-new game for the English market over just porting a Japanese one.

Patapon: AKA, the reason I bought my PSP when I did. Another very unqiue take on the rhythm genre, this time mixed with a sprinkle of side-scrolling strategy. Also, you get to be a god. That's always fun.

Tearaway: I have never played a game that made me, personally, feel like a part of the story the way Tearaway does. You don't play as the main character, you play WITH them. It's an amazing dynamic.

Final Fantasy 12: I've played a lot of JRPGs. They mostly do the same thing- get your friends, save the world. I love that, in FF12, the world is not at stake- it's just some rinky-dink country. I love that so much. Plus, the cast is great, and I'm just a fan of Mr. Matsuno's storytelling in general.

Crazy Taxi: The only driving game where not being able to stay on the road, isn't gonna mess you up too much. Original soundtrack is a must.

Ok... so I guess that's a top 10 list off the top of my head. It's hardly refined, though.