IGNORED

What's Your All-Time Favorite Video Game?

Space Invaders-arcade

Galaxian-arcade

Star Castle-arcade

Donkey Kong-arcade

Sinistar-arcade

Dragon Stomper 2600

Star Raiders 5200

Dragon's Lair-arcade

Super Mario Brothers NES

Baseball Stars NES

The first three Maddens for the Genesis

DOOM for the PC

Resident Evil for the PS1

The Elder Scrolls Oblivion PS3

The Elder Scrolls Skyrim PS3

Edited by bigfriendly
  • Like 4

I'm probably forgetting something since I'm posting before taking enough time for my brain to warm up. I liked to play a lot of games, but only some ended up being favorites.

E.T. (YT) for the Atari 2600 was probably my first favorite home video game.

Toy Bizarre (YT) for the Commodore 64 became a favorite a few years later.

SimCity (YT) for the Commodore 64 might have been next. Later, SimCity (YT) and SimCity 2000 (YT) for the SNES.

Theme Park (YT) for the 3DO was a major favorite in the mid to late 1990s.

Civilization II (YT) for the PlayStation could be considered a favorite. Later, Civilization Revolution (YT) for the Xbox 360.

That's all I feel like posting right now. I'll update this post when I'm in the mood to add more.

• Like 1

This is a tough one. Top 10? Probably:

1. Dropzone (Atari 8-bit)

2. Dune 2 (PC)

3. Minestorm (Vectrex)

4. X-Wing (PC)

5. Mirror's Edge (Xbox 360)

6. Guitar Hero Series (PS2)

7. Frostbite (2600)

8. Colin McRae 04 (PS2)

9. Rescue on Fractalus (Atari 8-bit)

10. Pac-Man DX (Xbox 360)

• Like 1

For pure nostalgia's sake it's Space Invaders (arcade). My favorite arcade games though I have fun playing to this day are definitely Donkey Kong, Robotron, and Defender.

It's much harder to narrow down console games though.. I have a lot of "favorites"but I wouldn't play a lot of them today because I've played and finished them to death so many times already. Like it'd be easy to say Blazing Lazers or Link to the Past but the truth is they're kind of like a wife I've been married to for 40 years :lol:

I like Adventures of Lolo 1-3.. but I have to wait years between playthroughs. I also like to play Zelda 2 very often.. it's a ritual every couple of years also. I go back to 2600 MsPacman a lot so that's definitely a favorite. Military Madness on the TG16 (not so much the other Nectaris ones), SMS Phantasy Star, SNES Street Fighter 2 and StarFox, Shining Force series, and.. the Contra series. The list goes on and on but that's an ok start. :)

Edited by NE146
  • Like 3

1. Phantasy Star Online (Dreamcast/GC) - just endlessly replayable, great combat, tons to do, and it's as fun offline as online, it looks and sounds great. Definitely a desert island game.

The rest of my top 10 isn't in a specific order. Generally right, but games may shift week-to-week.

2. Ms. Pac Man (arcade)

3. Civilization (PC)
4. Morrowind (PC)

5. Stuart Smith's Adventure Construction Set (c64)

6. D&D: Cloudy Mountain (Inty)
7. Super Mario World (SNES)

8. Frenzy (arcade)

9. Empire (PC)

10. Pool of Radiance (c64/PC)

Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Like 1

For me, the question "what's your favorite game of all time?" is another way of asking, "if you could only play one game ever again, what would it be?" or "what's your desert island game?"

I've thought about that before, and my answer is surprisingly clear--given the hundreds of games I really like--and one I feel pretty good about:

Galaga arcade w/ fast missiles.

• Like 1

I always feel like picking just one favorite game of all time is a difficult task, especially when you love games from different consoles and different genres. On the Colecovision, I love games like Burgertime, Frogger, Carnival, Q*Bert, Mousetrap, etc. The games that always make my top 3 on the NES are The Guardian Legend, the Legend of Zelda, and Tecmo Super Bowl. Maniac Mansion was also a very fun game on the NES. On the SNES, there's The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger.

It would be impossible to narrow games down to a small list becausae there are so many great and fun games. If I don't include games like Donkey Kong or Frenzy from the Colecovision on a top-10 list, some might perceive it to mean those games are afterthoughts to me, and that is not the case at all.

One absolute that I will state, however, is that I favor playing games from the Colecovision to the NES era. Sure, there's some wonderful games in modern times, but that era is still my favorite.

• Like 1

For me, the question "what's your favorite game of all time?" is another way of asking, "if you could only play one game ever again, what would it be?" or "what's your desert island game?"

I've thought about that before, and my answer is surprisingly clear--given the hundreds of games I really like--and one I feel pretty good about:

Galaga arcade w/ fast missiles.

I personally treat "desert island game" and "favorite game" differently. On a deserted island, I would pick a game with endless hours of gameplay where there is no end to the amount of challenges or games and I can always make my skills just a little bit better. A "favorite game" doesn't necessarily need to have 300 hours+ of gameplay (or online connectivity). In this category as well, I wouldn't pick an "arcade" game like Galaga or Donkey Kong for a deserted island because I think I would probably get bored of it eventually.

Just a bit of my opinion :) .

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Great lists here.

I realized I can't edit my own post, but instead of giving the wishy washy "ugh too many to choose for number 10" answer, I'm amending it to Sonic CD because holy moly is that game amazing.

Hadn't played it until just the other week and it's been some time since I got that kick in the chest sort of feeling you get when you experience something that you immediately know/feel is a classic.

"Favorite all-time game" is definitely a tricky question, but I don't think it's synonymous with a "desert island game." I think a desert island game would be more along the lines of "which game do you think has the best replay value?"

My favorite games of all time are probably the Donkey Kong Country trilogy on Super Nintendo. I've had that humble gray box for literally as long as I can remember, and for as long as I've been able to hold a controller to now, where I can practically sleepwalk through the early levels, each game in the series still captivates me. The music, the graphics, the impeccable controls and always-engaging level design...! I just don't think they've ever been topped for me.

My desert island game, though, would probably be either Asteroids or Space Invaders. That kind of unlimited arcade-style play would invaluable on a desert island. I can picture it now, carving high scores on scraps of driftwood...