IGNORED

OPCODE GAME CLUB

GraziGamer

• 4 years later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a question about the latest Opcode email.  Specifically the rerelease of Gradius with "performance improvements and graphic tweaks" and the Gradius planned for the SGM2 for late 2022.  I want the best possible version but it needs to be compatible with the Phoenix.  Which version should I get?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, insertclevernamehere said:

I have a question about the latest Opcode email.  Specifically the rerelease of Gradius with "performance improvements and graphic tweaks" and the Gradius planned for the SGM2 for late 2022.  I want the best possible version but it needs to be compatible with the Phoenix.  Which version should I get?

Then you have to get the current SGM1 version. SGM2 version will be SGM2 exclusive, using SGM2 exclusive features like the new tile mode. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, opcode said:

Then you have to get the current SGM1 version. SGM2 version will be SGM2 exclusive, using SGM2 exclusive features like the new tile mode. 

Thanks, good to know.  Just want clarification on one thing before I make my preorders.  Can you confirm that one of the "performance improvements" for the SGM1 version of Gradius includes smooth scrolling?

1 hour ago, insertclevernamehere said:

Thanks, good to know.  Just want clarification on one thing before I make my preorders.  Can you confirm that one of the "performance improvements" for the SGM1 version of Gradius includes smooth scrolling?

No, unfortunately smooth scrolling isn't possible with the ColecoVision video chip. Performance improvement is exactly what it says, an improvement in performance. That means the game runs with very little slow down. Graphic improvements are new colors in stage 1 and 3, and the proper "jumper" enemy in stage 1 (the original version had a single "jumper" enemy for all stages, but the arcade uses a different "jumper" in stage 1). Bug fixes include fixing the Vic Viper explosion when running in Phoenix/F18A. Phoenix/F18A also includes optimized color palette. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, opcode said:

No, unfortunately smooth scrolling isn't possible with the ColecoVision video chip. Performance improvement is exactly what it says, an improvement in performance. That means the game runs with very little slow down. Graphic improvements are new colors in stage 1 and 3, and the proper "jumper" enemy in stage 1 (the original version had a single "jumper" enemy for all stages, but the arcade uses a different "jumper" in stage 1). Bug fixes include fixing the Vic Viper explosion when running in Phoenix/F18A. Phoenix/F18A also includes optimized color palette. 

It looks like I was under the incorrect understanding that F18A mode, which the Phoenix has, offered smooth scrolling.  I have even watched a YouTube video which shows smooth scrolling on a CV with an F18A chip.  I also mentioned in another thread that I was looking forward to the smooth scrolling on Gradius and it was liked by Opcode.  I was not corrected on that assumption at the time.  Some misunderstanding has occurred somewhere.    This is very disappointing.  If the next version does not have smooth scrolling on my Phoenix and I can't play the later, SGM2 version on my Phoenix either, I guess I will not be purchasing a game that I was very much looking forward to until today.

23 minutes ago, insertclevernamehere said:

It looks like I was under the incorrect understanding that F18A mode, which the Phoenix has, offered smooth scrolling.  I have even watched a YouTube video which shows smooth scrolling on a CV with an F18A chip.  I also mentioned in another thread that I was looking forward to the smooth scrolling on Gradius and it was liked by Opcode.  I was not corrected on that assumption at the time.  Some misunderstanding has occurred somewhere.    This is very disappointing.  If the next version does not have smooth scrolling on my Phoenix and I can't play the later, SGM2 version on my Phoenix either, I guess I will not be purchasing a game that I was very much looking forward to until today.

Yes, F18A can do smooth scrolling, but it isn't that simple. The whole engine must be changed, and I just don't have the resources to create 3 different engines. For example, F18A uses a TMS9990 or whatever CPU as the graphic coprocessor, and I don't feel like learning it. My own co-processor is much easier to understand and program. You must remember that the F18A was created with the TI99/4A in mind, while the AVSC1 inside the SGM2 was created specifically for the ColecoVision. In fact, the huge difference between graphic engines explain why in this case I am not doing a single version of the game. Gradius on SGM2 is a very different beast, and the video you have seen was just a preliminary version. A radical change of the engine is require in order for the game to run at 3.5MHz. One requirement is to replace all tile enemies with sprites, something I can't do with the F18A.

Finally, I don't know how liking a post about you looking forward to smooth scrolling means that I committed to smooth scrolling on F18A. I understand your frustration, just please don't blame me for that. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, opcode said:

Yes, F18A can do smooth scrolling, but it isn't that simple. The whole engine must be changed, and I just don't have the resources to create 3 different engines. For example, F18A uses a TMS9990 or whatever CPU as the graphic coprocessor, and I don't feel like learning it. My own co-processor is much easier to understand and program. You must remember that the F18A was created with the TI99/4A in mind, while the AVSC1 inside the SGM2 was created specifically for the ColecoVision. In fact, the huge difference between graphic engines explain why in this case I am not doing a single version of the game. Gradius on SGM2 is a very different beast, and the video you have seen was just a preliminary version. A radical change of the engine is require in order for the game to run at 3.5MHz. One requirement is to replace all tile enemies with sprites, something I can't do with the F18A.

Finally, I don't know how liking a post about you looking forward to smooth scrolling means that I committed to smooth scrolling on F18A. I understand your frustration, just please don't blame me for that. 

As I no longer have a CV, I'm not in the market for an SGM2 but I am interested in the Omni.  Am I correct in thinking the Omni is a separate console version of the SGM2 and anything released for the SGM2 will be compatible with the Omni?  If so, will any SGM2 games get a rerelease if and when the Omni gets released?

50 minutes ago, insertclevernamehere said:

As I no longer have a CV, I'm not in the market for an SGM2 but I am interested in the Omni.  Am I correct in thinking the Omni is a separate console version of the SGM2 and anything released for the SGM2 will be compatible with the Omni?  If so, will any SGM2 games get a rerelease if and when the Omni gets released?

There are ongoing negotiations about that. So I can't give you an answer right now unfortunately.

19 minutes ago, insertclevernamehere said:

What happened to the custom mix and match repro box order that was supposed to happen last Friday.  I never got an email.  I only wanted 7 boxes.  Did they all get sold out and the mix and match never happened?  

Grazi had to pause pre-orders, but it will happen.

16 minutes ago, opcode said:

Grazi had to pause pre-orders, but it will happen.

Ok.  I just preordered DKA but I'm not a fan of the Adam packaging.  I don't have an Adam, I don't have any games for an Adam, nor do I have any interest in it.  To have 1 Adam game in my collection will look out of place and kind of crappy.  I hope I will be able to order the DK repro box and I will put the cart and manual in that.