GraziGamer

OPCODE GAME CLUB

3 hours ago, opcode said:

Yes, F18A can do smooth scrolling, but it isn't that simple. The whole engine must be changed, and I just don't have the resources to create 3 different engines. For example, F18A uses a TMS9990 or whatever CPU as the graphic coprocessor, and I don't feel like learning it. My own co-processor is much easier to understand and program. You must remember that the F18A was created with the TI99/4A in mind, while the AVSC1 inside the SGM2 was created specifically for the ColecoVision.

You don't have to use the GPU for scrolling - the F18A scroll offset is a register just like every other video chip with hardware scrolling...

Not debating your reasons, but don't muddy the water. :)

You don't have to use the GPU for scrolling - the F18A scroll offset is a register just like every other video chip with hardware scrolling...

Not debating your reasons, but don't muddy the water.

You need for “split screen”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, opcode said:

You need for “split screen”.

I don't think anyone mentioned split screen, but do you want to discuss it? We can make it look like a register in about 5 instructions, I can give you those five instructions and you're set. :)

• Like 1

I don't think anyone mentioned split screen, but do you want to discuss it? We can make it look like a register in about 5 instructions, I can give you those five instructions and you're set.

Please read my comment above. I think I gave enough reason for my decision. Don’t feel like doing 3 versions of the game, what is required to run smoothly at 3.5MHz, etc. It is all there.

Gradius SGM1 supports optimized color palettes with F18A.

15 minutes ago, Tursi said:

I don't think anyone mentioned split screen, but do you want to discuss it? We can make it look like a register in about 5 instructions, I can give you those five instructions and you're set. :)

I so hope you can persuade Opcode to add smooth scrolling if it’s easier than they thought.  I’m loving this.

1 minute ago, opcode said:

Please read my comment above. I think I gave enough reason for my decision. Don’t feel like doing 3 versions of the game, what is required to run smoothly at 3.5MHz, etc. It is all there.

Gradius SGM1 supports optimized color palettes with F18A.

…but then again maybe not. 😞

49 minutes ago, insertclevernamehere said:

I so hope you can persuade Opcode to add smooth scrolling if it’s easier than they thought.  I’m loving this.

No, he just wants to argue. All I wanted to do was correct the mistaken impression that GPU code is required for smooth scroll on the F18A.

51 minutes ago, opcode said:

Please read my comment above.

Maybe you should read /my/ post where I said I wasn't debating your reasons, but go ahead, I'm sure you can make it so I was the one who was wrong.

You stated something erroneous, you were corrected. I am now walking away.

Maybe you should read /my/ post where I said I wasn't debating your reasons, but go ahead, I'm sure you can make it so I was the one who was wrong.

You stated something erroneous, you were corrected. I am now walking away.

Are you a F18A shareholder? I didn’t state anything wrong. You don’t know anything about the game, but you felt you had to get involved. The only one arguing here is you. I stated all my reasons when asked. But it seems you didn’t like my reasons, you had to prove how easy F18A is. I am aware of the F18A internals because guess what, I have been using it since 2016. I just don’t want to learn TMS9900, especially (and this is the important part), especially when I have my own solution that does the same with a single setting. And for a game that already has 2 different engines.

Now please go find someone else to pester.

• Like 2

Just wondering when/if we might be able to order the repro boxes individually.  The answer to this question in the FAQ section of the last Opcode email was already out of date when it was sent out.