IGNORED

Possible Return of the Coleco MiniCades!

thevnaguy

Late to the party as usual but I might as well weigh in...

I would be just fine with doing them the way they did it in the old days, especially with collector prices ruining it for the old units. Not exact duplicates but maybe some different games or some new tech done in the old style or something equally clever...But that said, I'd be equally happy with LCD screens and (as someone already said) collections of games by company, say an Atari collection, a Midway collection, Data East, Williams, Universal, Cinematronics, etc...Whatever you could license. Some obscure games will always keep things interesting and give you some much needed credibility.

On the other hand, If it becomes something made for an iPad or a phone then I'm out...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would be just fine with doing them the way they did it in the old days, especially with collector prices ruining it for the old units.

I owned a Frogger MiniCade back in the day and wish I still had it.

If they end up remaking them I hope they're true to the originals in form and function.

Probably wouldn't have mass appeal though.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I had Donkey Kong back when these came out. It was ok. The best electronic table top I ever had or played was Galaxy II by Epoch.

I recently visited the National Video Game Museum outside Dallas and played the Coleco Ms Pac Man and a few other random handhelds and table tops.

It was fun for the nostalgic factor but I couldn't see playing these much.

I still have my Mattel Battlstar Galactica. Still works. Rarely play it though.

• Like 1

I had Donkey Kong back when these came out. It was ok. The best electronic table top I ever had or played was Galaxy II by Epoch.

I recently visited the National Video Game Museum outside Dallas and played the Coleco Ms Pac Man and a few other random handhelds and table tops.

It was fun for the nostalgic factor but I couldn't see playing these much.

I still have my Mattel Battlstar Galactica. Still works. Rarely play it though.

I still have my boxed Galaxy II from Epoch from back in the day!!

It was definitely an '80's style arcade shooter and it was cool how they gave it different levels...

Neat to hear someone else remembers that....I even remember (somewhat vaguely) that there was a TV commercial for them BITD.

I still have my boxed Galaxy II from Epoch from back in the day!!

It was definitely an '80's style arcade shooter and it was cool how they gave it different levels...

Neat to hear someone else remembers that....I even remember (somewhat vaguely) that there was a TV commercial for them BITD.

That's cool you still have yours. I had mine for a long time but it stopped working.

You're right though the added levels were cool and a nice touch. I Remember having to land the capsule onto your ship at one point.

It was the best electronic game I ever played.

I think a few years ago I randomly looked on eBay for one. If I remember correct the prices were kind of high.

I sold my Donkey Kong to a friend for like nothing. Then I sold my tabletop Popeye for a ton of money in eBay. Made me wish I hadn't sold my Donkey Kong.

The Galaxy II was my favorite from back in the day too. Unfortunately, I no longer have mine. I've been tempted a few times to reacquire one, but never quite pulled the trigger. Based on the comments here, it sounds like a lot of us really liked that one and it was one of the better selling units.

I didn't have many. I also had Mario's Cement Factory, which I also liked a lot, but not quite as much as Galaxy II. I don't remember what others I had off the top of my head.

Personally, I'm not quite sure how interested I'd be in a single recreation of one of these, but I'd certainly be interested in some type of multi-unit, even if its the Picade one making the rounds recently.

• Like 1

I know they're not Coleco related, but Bed Bath and Beyond had a bunch of classic LCD games for holiday 2016, including Pacman and Space Invaders. They also had Electronic Football and numerous others. I'm getting Pacman and Space Invaders for my B-Day in late Janurary. :lust:

So if Coleco is gonna release the minicades, they'd better get them out this year, before the nostalgia market gets totally saturated. By 2018 it may be too late. My two cents.

• Like 1

Aside from the Galaxy II,

The other one I have and kept in the box from lo those many years ago was an Entex Galaxian 2...I remember I ordered that one from the Montgomery Ward's catalog. I'm not sure if I remember how it worked....Wasn't there a "Catalog Dept" in the store? I seem to remember going there with my mom (Ward's was about 4 blocks from my house) and pointing it out or something, probably filling in some order info. and then we waited for a pone call....Which always took way longer than one would expect back in those days...And eventually they'd call and tell you your order was in.

And well, now that I've mentioned it (slightly off topic though it may be)...I decided to dig these out...For what it's worth I paid $48.88 + tax for the Galaxy II, which was bought at Grand Central, a very cool store right next to Montgomery Ward's...

I know that Atari Age mantra of Pics or it didn't happen...so....

And I also kept a Merlin and a GBA Micro in the drawer with the Galaxian 2 so I threw them in the pic!

1jww8k.jpg

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I do have some Coleco tabletops too! Zaxxon, Pac-Man, and Galaxian,...Plus a broken Ms. Pac-Man...All were collected later though (Not from back in the day)...

Like I say, I look forward to the return of these guys. And even if they're' done in the old school way, I'm sure I'd be interested in picking up a couple! :-D

^^It's huge! :o Another thing I love about old gear. None of this miniaturization BS! :P

Yeah!

I think of that Galaxian 2 almost like it's my first handheld, (If we ignore the old football and basketball games for a moment). And I had it 8 years before Game Boy came out! Though it's almost twice the size of a Game Boy!

Edited by GoldLeader