IGNORED

ColecoVision - We would like your opinions on Specs

cardo1

Lots of great ideas in this thread - maybe to pull things back a little here. I think $49 or less would be the mass selling point. The general public is not going to drop $100 on a classic handheld to play Ms Pac Man or such.

As for features - adding wifi, HDMI, etc... is going to kill the price and honestly how many people are going to hook up a mini arcade unit to play on your tv? I dont see hours of fun with a small joystick playing on the big screen.

My suggestion would be to keep the minicab form factor, PI+MAME, 5 games, bluetooth to allow the device to talk to a phone/mobile app to allow updates or score submit - also possibly use an alternate controller.

Bonus would have a microSD slot for expansion.

Another question is how many games would you be able to secure? If you can only secure 5 or so then maybe produce 5 shells all with the same games - or 4+1 unique game per shell at first. I wouldnt go hog wild securing the rights to alot of games at first. Start humble and if it does take off then v2 will be that much better :)

My $0.02

• Like 3

I cannot state this enough: This item will draw more attention if it targets the hobbyist crowds. Sell as a kit or at least being able to modify. If the product is inferior to the original release, it will be universally panned. I know that profit has to be made to be successful, but quality of the item will make sure it is in demand, and talked about :).

• Like 1

Something tells me attempting to go mass market isn't the way to go with this, unless it's going to have modern licenses like Angry Birds or whatever the kids play today.

That is correct. Because back in the day Pac-Man and Frogger were cultural icons. And these mini-cades brought their glory home. Today it has to be something that resonates whatever is popular at the moment. Shopkins - for example.. Were hot(1) a few months ago. Those will be dying off soon. Flash in the pan till the next new thing comes around.

IDK, all this hi-speed jumping from fad to fad doesn't allow a business time to get a product ready. And it doesn't allow for deep cultural penetration either. All this "hi-speed" companies create doesn't seem to benefit anyone and it even hinders those very corporations selling the stuff!

I cannot state this enough: This item will draw more attention if it targets the hobbyist crowds. Sell as a kit or at least being able to modify. If the product is inferior to the original release, it will be universally panned. I know that profit has to be made to be successful, but quality of the item will make sure it is in demand, and talked about :).

In lieu of attracting the kiddie-krowd, the next step is the hobbyist. This is a slower moving market and may not produce the aggressive ramp-up curve of a "cultural craze" that is satisfying to beancounters. Ohh well..

1- I know someone with 2x 55-gallon drums full of Shopkins. Frakking crazy!!

Edited by Keatah

Sorry but the numbers don't add up. They'll get 100 impulse buys from the casual public for every hardcore retro gamer/collector that picks one up.

The casual public doesn't give a flying pig about moddability. They want something that turns on, works, and is fun to play with. "Fun" is actually secondary goal. You can have the most awesome gadget on Earth, but that means nothing if nobody buys it. Convincing a consumer to drop $$ on it is absolutely paramount. A price reduction of half will double the number of sales. Flashy packaging goes a long way.

So while we are all clamouring for X, Y, and Z, bear in mind we are only like 1% of the expected market. A perfect scale replica of the original arcade with six separate SKUs (each of a different game) will bomb hard at $100. A six-in-one "turn it on and play" selling at $35 might sell like hot-cakes.

Sorry but the numbers don't add up. They'll get 100 impulse buys from the casual public for every hardcore retro gamer/collector that picks one up.

The casual public doesn't give a flying pig about moddability. They want something that turns on, works, and is fun to play with. "Fun" is actually secondary goal. You can have the most awesome gadget on Earth, but that means nothing if nobody buys it. Convincing a consumer to drop $$ on it is absolutely paramount. A price reduction of half will double the number of sales. Flashy packaging goes a long way.

So while we are all clamouring for X, Y, and Z, bear in mind we are only like 1% of the expected market. A perfect scale replica of the original arcade with six separate SKUs (each of a different game) will bomb hard at $100. A six-in-one "turn it on and play" selling at $35 might sell like hot-cakes.

Fads often do not produce sales in the long run. Make a quality product, and it will go on to sell well and possibly appease both crowds. Atari Flashback 2 is a great example of this. It was made for the casual crowd, but could be modified. Not perfect, but well done for what it was. I for one am not expecting an exact scale replica. I agree that $100 wold be too much. I do think that some simple things could be added that would allow some customization that would make this more appealing to multiple crowds. This product in particular, has a potential to be very successful if done right.

• Like 1

If you want to connect old skool with new skool then maybe the Pac Man Cab also comes with Pac Man 256 which def got some play with my kids. Then again not sure the PI platform can run an OS that that game was ported to.

PIMAME uses version 37b5 for it's ROM set. Assuming there is a compatible version for PIMAME or MAME4ALL, it will need to use this version.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm definitely all for the mini arcades making a return. I know I would play a mini multicade more than my plug an plays for sure as I like the concept of a self-contained system. One idea that popped into my head, and it might be silly, would be to make something along the lines of the old Entex Adventurevision tabletop, of course with a regular LCD screen. Ship it out with some classic games already installed, but make it possible to add more games through cartridges. Not only might this give the units a longer life ( and a life after death through the homebrew crowd), but maybe it might make it possible to offer some newer games too designed for it. Anyways, that's what my brain can brew up. I see a lot of good ideas so far, so this is exciting to me!

So emulator instead of VFD replication. Gotta live with it for economical reasons. :(

All I'd want is cases that have a few games that weren't in the original line; the mock-up of the Mini Berzerk for the '82 sell sheet fascinated me then and now. A Tempest or Centipede would knock me over.

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD:

Make the side art/monitor bezel/stickers accurate to the original 80's arcade sideart; Pac-Man with the goofy upwards glance and the floppy feet, not the updated Character design. Galaxian ships that look like bees.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

1. I'd probably pay up to $100 if they were really well done. However, I would probably only buy one or two at that price. At $60 each I would try to buy them all!

2. Definitely modern lcd screens. I loved vfd, but that style won't work for modern audiences. I would pass if the screens were like the old crappy Tiger handhelds.

3. The games should be close to the arcade originals for gameplay. Don't try to make them look like the old vfd versions. They should play well and not just rely on nostalgia.

4. Joysticks need to be more durable than the old ones!

5. I think just a few games is better than a whole bunch. Keep it simple and style them each after just one headlining game.

6. Games I would buy: Galaga, Berzerk/Frenzy combo, Tron/Discs of Tron (modified controls), Asteroids/Deluxe, Gorf, Burgertime, Gyruss, Ms. Pac-Man, Time Pilot

7. Try to avoid games that used trackballs and spinners/paddles unless you could include those control schemes. I hate seeing games like Breakout with a joystick!

Edited by Noah98

• 4 weeks later...

My family all enjoy retro games. However my bros would not buy a $100 tabletop arcade cabinet for their kids. I'm the most hardcore of us and I think going over $50 is going to kill sales. I think it's cool that my FB2 is moddable, but I haven't modded it because I have a good working 2600.

Sometimes go with KISS

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

For the sake of those who don't utilize Facebook, here is the post requesting feedback:

post-18-0-80725200-1481321804_thumb.png

Text Version:

Mini update #3. Coming along. We have some amazing things in the works. We need your opinions though. Let's talk about the size and shape of the machine. On a scale of 1-10, how Important is it that the machine is identical in size the the original Coleco minis (approx 6.5x8x8). Or do you find it just as appealing to go with a cabinet similar to the retro machine (3.5x 6x 3.5)? The game play for the titles would remain unchanged. The plastic quality would remain unchanged. The guts of the machine would be unchanged. However the cost to the consumer should be less due to the fact that it would be much easier to ship / handle / inventory a less awkwardly shaped item. Please provide your opinion in the matter.

]Mini update #3. Coming along. We have some amazing things in the works. We need your opinions though. Let's talk about the size and shape of the machine. On a scale of 1-10, how Important is it that the machine is identical in size the the original Coleco minis (approx 6.5x8x8). Or do you find it just as appealing to go with a cabinet similar to the retro machine (3.5x 6x 3.5)? The game play for the titles would remain unchanged. The plastic quality would remain unchanged. The guts of the machine would be unchanged. However the cost to the consumer should be less due to the fact that it would be much easier to ship / handle / inventory a less awkwardly shaped item. Please provide your opinion in the matter.

3.5 x 6 x 3.5 inches is too small. That's the size of a large Christmas tree ornament, not a tabletop game. Even my smartphone sitting in a Bluetooth controller is larger than that.

I've got many of the original VFD electronic games. The original Coleco tabletops and the Epoch Galaxy II are the right size, still comfortable to use and nice to display on a shelf.

When I picked up the Pacman and Space Invaders mini LCD units at my local Bed Bath and Beyond, I was reminded of the Coleco Minicade idea:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/pac-man-handheld-mini-arcade-game/1047038028

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/space-invaders-trade-handheld-mini-arcade-game/1047038035

They had an entire end display full of them. The LCD mini-cades retail for $20 and retain the retro styling and artwork of the arcade cabinet along with classic LCD recreations of the games. Attractive packaging.

I don't think VFD or full color displays would be price effective for single game units unless they do a six-in-one or something.

The whole point of the arcade-cabinet-style cover was to provide shade for the VFD screen against ambient light, and make the action on the screen more bright and visible. If the game screen for the new tabletop(s) still uses VFD technology, then the shape of the enclosure should be maintained. On the other hand, if the new tabletop(s) use modern raster mini-screens (like on smartphones) then providing shade for the screen is less of an issue.

Ideally, the arcade-cabinet style cover should be removable, plain and simple. The cover should be bound to the unit with a couple of dedicated screws, and if the end user wants to remove the cover, all he should need is a screwdriver. Remove the cover, screw the screws back in (so you don't lose them) and you've got a tabletop that's even more portable than before. :)

• Like 1

When I picked up the Pacman and Space Invaders mini LCD units at my local Bed Bath and Beyond, I was reminded of the Coleco Minicade idea:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/pac-man-handheld-mini-arcade-game/1047038028

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/space-invaders-trade-handheld-mini-arcade-game/1047038035

They had an entire end display full of them. The LCD mini-cades retail for $20 and retain the retro styling and artwork of the arcade cabinet along with classic LCD recreations of the games. Attractive packaging.

I don't think VFD or full color displays would be price effective for single game units unless they do a six-in-one or something.

The brand that makes them(Basic Fun) seems to be a brand that pays for licences to manufacture retro toys in general like Lite Bright, Madballs, Twister, and things like that. The most relevant ones to the topic I've seen are the two you've shown, Classic Football, Classic Baseball, Classic Basketball, Atari Centipede, Atari Breakout, Tetris, Guitar Hero Handheld, Yahtzee, Battleship, and Frogger. Anyway, this brand may be the perfect match for Coleco to get them made because both brands fit together. One wants to license out and reproduce Coleco Mini Arcades while the other pays for licences to reproduce retro games like that. Basic fun is a division of The Bridge Direct: http://thebridgedirect.com/ Here are some of their toys from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Basic-Fun/b/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&node=2582955011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Basic+Fun&linkCode=ll2&tag=atariage&linkId=6a2a1e5c60e2c9d709912d5c11113a7e

• Like 1

The brand that makes them(Basic Fun) seems to be a brand that pays for licences to manufacture retro toys in general like Lite Bright, Madballs, Twister, and things like that. The most relevant ones to the topic I've seen are the two you've shown, Classic Football, Classic Baseball, Classic Basketball, Atari Centipede, Atari Breakout, Tetris, Guitar Hero Handheld, Yahtzee, Battleship, and Frogger. Anyway, this brand may be the perfect match for Coleco to get them made because both brands fit together. One wants to license out and reproduce Coleco Mini Arcades while the other pays for licences to reproduce retro games like that. Basic fun is a division of The Bridge Direct: http://thebridgedirect.com/ Here are some of their toys from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Basic-Fun/b/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&node=2582955011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Basic+Fun&linkCode=ll2&tag=atariage&linkId=6a2a1e5c60e2c9d709912d5c11113a7e

Yeah I saw the classic football game as well as other sports games for $14.95 each, but the arcade recreations are better value I think. I did not see the Centipede or Frogger games; will have to look for those...

Funny the reviews of Classic Football where the users are picking it apart for superfluous stuff like sounds not being exactly the same or using a red backlit LCD as opposed to red emitters such as LEDs or VFD segments.

I may pick one up at some point anyway...

Funny the reviews of Classic Football where the users are picking it apart for superfluous stuff like sounds not being exactly the same or using a red backlit LCD as opposed to red emitters such as LEDs or VFD segments.

My old boss once was telling me about the original one he had in high school. I can't remember exactly what all he said but the meaning was something like,"When I was little calculators were as expensive as a computer but by the time I was in high school I could basically own a "calculator" for cheap that could play football!" He made it seem like a big deal similar to how the Game Boy launch felt to me. He was even talking about how he did a modification to add a switch to take out the sound to play in class. Anyway, my point is that it was probably a much bigger deal to them than it is to us and therefore their pickiness with things being exact may be something similar to preferring CRT's for retro consoles and the red backlit LCD would be similar to HDTV going against that preference.

• Like 1

I've got all three of the Basic Fun sports games based on the old Mattel versions and I like them. The main play fields are still LCD with only the score being a backlit LCD. They added extra sounds to the games and, yes, the other sounds aren't exactly like the originals, but that doesn't bother me. They also seem more durable than the Classic versions released by Mattel themselves several years back. In spite of proper care, I am already finding those to be developing dead LEDs and switch issues. The Basic Fun ones are licensed from Mattel though and seem to sell decently.