IGNORED

ColecoVision - We would like your opinions on Specs

cardo1

How about ONE console unit that accepts cartridges? Only have one big payout of cash to get the main unit and then buy carts of different games?

Could have led lights around it to change it to green for Frogger, Pink for Ms Pac-Man, Yellow for Galaxian, Blue for Donkey Kong, Orange for Donkey Kong Jr. and so forth.

I can see the set up now at stores next to all the newer next gen systems. The unit in the middle of the display with all the carts around it!

Call it Personal Arcade Machine!

Edited by SoundGammon
  • Like 2

bringing these back and not emulating the original VFD games would be an injustice to the whole movement, so do both: for example a Ms. Pac-Man machine could have the original arcade version as the main selling point and the VFD version as one of the bonus games.

• Like 1

Looks like Atari may have the right idea - a devise that attaches to your iPhone and lets you play Atari games. Maybe Coleco can make a device shaped like the old mini cabinets and let me insert my Android phone to play Coleco games.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154201553186159&set=gm.10153845095945255&type=3&theater

535077_10154201553186159_374101625264951

Problem with phones is they are all different sizes.

This. With the exception of iPhone/iPad, there is no "one size fits all." Worse that Apple changed their dock interface when they went from analog to digital, making all those millions of boomboxes and other tech gadgets out there with the old generation iPod docks obsolete. And there's no guarantees the next gen iPad will fit in your existing fancy pants iCade or other docks either.

But if you've got Android, there is no "one size fits all" dock, unless you go with one of those modular pieces of crap with adjustable bracket for phone/tablet/phablet and anything in between. Usually such solutions have flimsy plastic arms that break easily.

That's one reason why I love the Pi. Any "B" model Pi will fit any device designed for it, for instance, and there's no app store with evil overlords controlling what you can and cannot install on it. :D

• Like 2

signal to noise in here is really bad, so let me make it worse

I love the Pi. Any "B" model Pi will fit any device designed for it

that negates your entire argument, any model A pi crap will fit any device designed for model A, just like Ipod gens 1-X and I phone, oops, yea just like anything the form factor will fit the form factor until the form factor changes, no one in the history of man has gotten this right cause no one can predict the future

what the hell all this has to do with a niche toy I have no clue

• Like 1

Yes, all that. And in general stuffing your phone inside one of these is.. just.. wrong..

You can't display the mini-cabs on a shelf and then have guests and visitors instantly and casually play them.

And if you keep your phone in a semi-sealed case, it's a pain in the ass to be taking it out all the time. Going through the phone-swapping gymnastics is just ughh.. AND as phones evolve, the connector style and geometry is going to change. This'll make the phones themselves not suitable and not compatible at some point in time.

And what happens if you get a call when you're 2,000 points away from your hi-score?

• Like 1

Looks like Atari may have the right idea - a devise that attaches to your iPhone and lets you play Atari games. Maybe Coleco can make a device shaped like the old mini cabinets and let me insert my Android phone to play Coleco games.

Right idea for a different class of product. The iCade and Atari Arcade phone-stand are what they are. I think Coleco wants these to be mini-cab replicas and not phone accessories.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if there is a standard connector for phone-style LCD screens, but I reckon they could make an enclosure with a slot to slide one mounted in a tiny bezel.

Then later on, depending on what LCDs are available you can just adapt the bezel and manufacture another run. Or if the screen breaks they are not too difficult to replace with an OEM piece.