IGNORED

WTB: Neo-Geo MVS carts

Bixler

I collect both with no priority to one or the other. There's so much work put into the bootleg pcbs now that they will probably outlast my originals. Just make sure you pay bootleg prices for bootlegs! The wiki boog listed is a good resource to compare to.

I have no faith in MVS bootlegs. They usually have sloppy desoldering to remove the original mask roms, random rewiring that may not be durable, and they typically use eproms instead of mask roms. If you're going the bootleg route, you might as well just go with multicarts so you can play a bunch of games on original hardware. If you want to collect MVS, legit carts are more reliable.

There are exceptions though. Plenty of hacks and homebrews that are only available as bootlegs. If you want some of the 'improved' releases like SvC Chaos Plus or Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, they're only available as boots.

I have no faith in MVS bootlegs. They usually have sloppy desoldering to remove the original mask roms, random rewiring that may not be durable, and they typically use eproms instead of mask roms. If you're going the bootleg route, you might as well just go with multicarts so you can play a bunch of games on original hardware. If you want to collect MVS, legit carts are more reliable.

There are exceptions though. Plenty of hacks and homebrews that are only available as bootlegs. If you want some of the 'improved' releases like SvC Chaos Plus or Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, they're only available as boots.

Due to the sheer cost of many MVS carts, I'll probably go for the Multicart route for a while (since from what I've gathered a flash cart won't ever happen). Here's a list of games I'd like to pick up eventually:

• King of Fighters ’98
  • Samurai Shodown II
  • Metal Slug 1, X, 3, 4, 5
  • Puzzle Bobble/Bust-A-Move
  • Shock Troopers 1/2
  • Strikers 1945+
  • Pulstar
  • Aero Fighters 2/3
  • Magical Drop 3
  • Super Baseball 2020
  • Crossed Swords
  • Windjammers
  • Blazing Star
  • Ironclad
  • Neo Turfmasters
  • Street Hoops
  • Nam 1975

That's a good starting point, but MVS is a slippery slope. There are so many great games... you'll probably find yourself wanting more than just that list pretty quickly. There are also a lot of lesser known late release/unreleased MVS games like Matrimelee, Mark of the Wolves, Super Dodge Ball, Twinkle Star Sprites, Ghostlop, Nightmare in the Dark, etc. etc.

One of the multicarts would be a good starting point since it would let you play many of these games on actual hardware. Can buy favorites on legit carts or games that aren't on your multicart as budget allows. And, even if an MVS flash cart is eventually released, it'll probably be much more expensive than a multicart anyway.

That's a good starting point, but MVS is a slippery slope. There are so many great games... you'll probably find yourself wanting more than just that list pretty quickly. There are also a lot of lesser known late release/unreleased MVS games like Matrimelee, Mark of the Wolves, Super Dodge Ball, Twinkle Star Sprites, Ghostlop, Nightmare in the Dark, etc. etc.

One of the multicarts would be a good starting point since it would let you play many of these games on actual hardware. Can buy favorites on legit carts or games that aren't on your multicart as budget allows. And, even if an MVS flash cart is eventually released, it'll probably be much more expensive than a multicart anyway.

Hence my intense interest in making this system my primary video gaming device along with my 2600, Wii, and 3DS from here on out. :) I plan on gathering up many great games over the coming years – just ordered Puzzle Bobble off of eBay, and I'll be saving up for the 161-in-1 multicart to pick up in a couple of months. I wish the multicart was completely free of issues, but I guess that's what you should expect with one of those things. I'll just be happy to have that many games readily available until I can afford to pick up some actual carts for my favorites.