IGNORED

MY PERSONAL TOP 10 NES GAMES

Great top 10 list and many great games that are overlooked to be in a top personal list of favorites. Here is my top 10 favorite NES games.

10. Tecmo Bowl: My favorite sports game for the NES as well as my favorite football video game of all time!

9. Metroid: You must guide Samus Aran on the planet Zebes and destroy the space pirates. Collect powerups to enhance your abilities and destroy the evil Mother Brain. You get multiple endings depending on how long it took to beat the game.

8. Duck Tales: Always fun going through The Amazon, Transylvania, Mines, Himalayas, and the Moon collecting diamonds, goodies, and the top 5 coveted treasures for Scrooge McDuck. Some of the best soundtracks for the NES and the most memorable.

7. Contra: A fun side scrolling run 'n gunner. I have completed the game numerous times without losingba life and without inputing the "Konami Code". Just get the spread gun and blast away. Once you get the patterns down pat, it's easy to master.

6. Tetris: One of the best puzzle games I have ever played as well as the most addicting. A game that makes you want to do better and better each time.

5. Mike Tyson's Punchout!!: Little Mac is trying to fight the odds and climb up the ladder and earn his way to becoming to be a heavyweight champion. He goes through 13 matches plus the chance to spar with "Iron Mike".

4. Super Mario Bros. 3: 8 huge worlds, many ways to stock up on power ups, great 2 player battle games, cool new features/power ups, and a high replay value as one of the best Mario games for the NES and maybe all time.

3. Mega Man 2: Being a huge Mega Man fan, the second one of the series brings the most nostalgia factor. 2 difficulty settings, passwords, energy tanks, fun stages, and a memorable soundtrack to get you going without putting the controller down.

2. Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse: My all time favorite Castlevania game. Trevor Belmont is out on a journey to rid Count Dracula. Along the way he brings along Grant (a carpenter), Syfa (vampire hunter/sorcerer), and Alucard (the son of Dracula). You get to choose your path to Dracula's castle. Some of the finest and greatest soundtracks for the NES.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Link is out on an adventure to recover the 8 missing triforce pieces scattered in 8 dungeons to help save Princess Zelda from Ganondorf. He can blow up rocks, burn trees, play the flute, etc to buy items get clues, get rupees, and upgrade his sword in his quest. Be careful some people will deduct your rupees for destroying their doors. And an all new quest awaits if you accomplish the first quest or input Zelda as your name.

• Like 1

That vid was great! ...a stroll down memory lane for me. Haven't had an 8-bit NES since the early 90's (I do have a Taiwan PnP with a ton of older games on it that I never play), but there's no denying there was a lot of groundbreaking fun to be had on the system. Oh and forgot about the glaring combat issue in the first two Final Fantasy games. :(

My top 10 based on nostalgia and time put into them BITD would look something like this:

Tetris

Dr. Mario

Contra

Gun.Smoke

Commando

Karnov

Legendary Wings

Baseball

Double Dribble

TMNT: Arcade

...besides any of the Super Mario Bros. games of course. Amazing to think how well some of the old sports games have held up too. Played the hell out of Blades of Steel and Pro Wrestling. These are the types of games that I might still like to play today. Back then, I loved RPG's and military strategy type games like Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Nobunaga's Ambition, etc. but wouldn't have the time or inclination to play today. Thinking about it though, really tough to pick just 10 of your favs on such a system!

• Like 1

Super Mario Bros.
Tecmo Super Bowl
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Super C

Metroid

Duck Hunt

Kung Fu

Castlevania II
Pro Wrestling

Galaga: Demons of Death

Honorable Mentions:

Mach Rider
Arkanoid (w/ Vaus controller)
TMNT II

Contra

Legend of Zelda
Zelda II

Super Mario Bros. 2

Super Mario Bros. 3
[Mike Tyson's] Punch-Out
Journey To Silius
Adventure Island II

Top 10? That's tough because there are so many great titles, but I'll try! I'm not including any of the Super Mario Bros. games, because that takes up 3 slots in the list, and it's not fair to the others because they are all excellent.

Double Dragon: This was probably the first beat-em-up game that I ever played, and it was all the rage at the time. As a kid, I never had it, but I remember going to friend's houses and if they were cool, they had Double Dragon. It's a glitchy port, but what it gets right is adding some cool features over the arcade version. I like the fact that you can level up and learn new moves, which gives an added strategic element to the game. I find myself still trying to beat this one.

Mario Bros.: I said no SUPER Mario games! This port of the arcade classic is near perfect and plays great. Out of all the arcade games ported to the NES, I think this one nails it best.

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out: There is so much to love about this one. Remembering the opponent's patterns, the music, the graphics... it's all good. And man, it gets tough toward the end! Farthest I've gotten is Mr. Sandman on my own. I still try though!

Gun Nac: I love shooters There are tons of shooters for the NES, which is great, but a lot of them are compromised arcade ports that pale in comparison to the real thing. Gun Nac is the best of the good ones. It was a late addition to the NES library, and developed by legendary developers Compile. By it's release, they had learned all of the NES's tricks, and the released this gem. It's fast, hectic, and challenging, and I still love it.

Metroid: This is one of the first games that set a mood with it's music and creeped me the hell out when I was young. It wears its influences on its sleeve (I'm looking at you, Alien), but it makes it into something completely different. And it was the first game of it's kind: The genre we later called "Metroidvania". A true classic.

Tecmo Super Bowl: I still maintain that this is the best Football game ever made. I'm not alone, as people still release yearly roster hacks in cartridge and ROM form. It's also a blast to play with friends. Back in 2006, my friends and I held a TSB tournament, and we still talk about it 10 years later.

Castlevania 3: I love the Castlevania series. On the NES, I really like all 3, but the 3rd one just nailed it. The gameplay and music were fantastic, and the graphics pushed the 8-bit hardware to its limits. Adding the branching paths and new playable characters was so awesome, and it edges out the other two for being a more polished package. Awesome game!

Contra: One of the best run and gun games ever made, period. I usually run through this one once a year for fun. Toss in the code, get the spread gun, and kick some ass!

The Legend of Zelda: I had the strange distinction as a kid to buy sequels before the original game, and that was no different with the Zelda series. I bought Zelda II before the 1st one, thinking it was actually the 1st game. I was 6 and didn't know any better. But a few years later, I got the first one. It was so simple, yet so complex at the same time. And there was something magical about it playing it as a kid that carries through to today. It's a true icon.

Mega Man 2: Is there such a thing as a perfect game? This one comes pretty damn close. The graphics, and gameplay are among the best for the system. It challenges the player, but remains rewarding at the same time. And it's success saved the series, which grew to have many more great titles under it's brand. And the music? Wow. I remember back in the day emulating the game on the old emulator NESticle and singling out the sound channels to try and learn the music on real instruments, and couldn't believe they were making that kind of stuff with what the NES had for sound. Wow!

I can think of so many more too...

• Like 1

Contra, Ninja turtles the arcade game, Jackal, Salamander, Mega Man and Rolling thunder. I think These were the games I played and liked the most on my Phantom System.

I liked MArio 3, but I never got the Chance to Play it for real. Still have to mention it and Ninja Gaiden, because back in the day These were possibly the coolest games I've ever seen...

I never played Zelda or Castlevania... lol