IGNORED

How do you prevent your portable screens from getting scratched up?

So I have noticed lately that the game gear case is horribly designed in this regard, placing the game cases above the screen which will eventually scratch them.

My Lynx case also has stuff move around it sometimes, though I use my sun visor as a screen protector basically

I tried putting a small screen cleaning rag on my GameGear but it always slides off exposing the screen to potential damage..

SO....what do you guys do to keep your screens scratch free?

I swear one of the best tertiary design effects of the DS two screens layout is that it keeps the scratches off. Kids still manage to destroy them somehow.

Thanks in advance!

For me it's just a pretty simple matter of keeping all my handhelds, when not in use, in soft padded cases that were designed so that nothing other than a soft fabric surface contacts any part of the system. For certain systems it can be a little tricky to find cases that fit the bill, but usually taking half an hour or so to sift through the results of an eBay search for "__insert system name here__ case" turns up some suitable options. :)

• Like 1

Keeping the systems in soft cases as Jin has said, and sometimes putting something protective over the screen like a thin layer of very soft, cushioned foam padding is probably about the best you'll be able to practically do. In my experience, every handheld I've ever owned has managed to pick up a scratch or two over years of use, no matter how well I've taken care of them, and I treat all my stuff with kid gloves.

The upside is that, for systems that are backlit, if you only have these very minor scratches and no major digs into the screen, they're hardly noticeable and shouldn't interfere with gameplay at all while actually playing the system. Sitting on a shelf, though, you can definitely see the surface scratches, especially in a very well-lit environment, and if you're a collector then that might be a real issue for you. The problem becomes a bit more exacerbated with non-backlit systems like the Game Boy or Game Boy Pocket, since the scratches would be visible over the display. As a side-note, this seems to be less of an issue with newer handhelds (Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Neo Geo Pocket Color, etc.), as those screen covers seem to be quite a bit more scratch-resistant than earlier consoles, and I have yet to see a single scratch on those machines that I own.

All that being said, Game Boy replacement screen lenses are usually quite cheap, easy to find, and easy to install. Some of the other consoles, while a little more expensive but not much more, also have screen covers available for them, so if you have a handheld with a particularly gnarly screen, you can always do that. I would assume that these screen covers, if they're newly produced, are made out of something more scratch-resistant than the original, and that could very well help matters.

But yes, at absolute minimum, go buy a premium case to store your handhelds, especially if you transport them around a lot. Even if you can't find a case specifically made for your machine, you might be able to buy something like a carrying case made for point-and-shoot cameras that are suitably sized, and cut out a block of foam to place over the screen to protect it while it's in the case, and that should help at least somewhat.

• Like 1

So I have noticed lately that the game gear case is horribly designed in this regard, placing the game cases above the screen which will eventually scratch them.

My Lynx case also has stuff move around it sometimes, though I use my sun visor as a screen protector basically

I tried putting a small screen cleaning rag on my GameGear but it always slides off exposing the screen to potential damage..

SO....what do you guys do to keep your screens scratch free?

I swear one of the best tertiary design effects of the DS two screens layout is that it keeps the scratches off. Kids still manage to destroy them somehow.

Thanks in advance!

For Game Gear, as long as your case is clean put the GG in screen down so games on the top won't scratch it. You would lose the ability to leave Master Gear converter but you'd get to keep the screen from getting worse.

• Like 1

For Game Gear, as long as your case is clean put the GG in screen down so games on the top won't scratch it. You would lose the ability to leave Master Gear converter but you'd get to keep the screen from getting worse.

Great idea, i'm going to start doing this for the GG. I found putting anything over it just slides off, but if you put it in a sock or something it won't fit. Tight tolerances in that hard/soft case!