IGNORED

Entertaining video comparison of Jaguar versus Sega 32X

sirlynxalot

I think i pretty much agree with how he came out on each game comparison. Looking at the library more holistically, I also have both systems and think the 32x definitely has the edge in terms of polished games and "fun for my tastes" games in 2016, but there is no denying the jag library is very unique and has a certain mystique that always brings me back to experience it.

Edited by sirlynxalot
  • Like 2

Interesting video, not sure I agree with motocross racing as being a popular genre in the 90's and both games on the platforms were horrible. Fighters were far and away the biggest thing back then, so to not include them was a little biased and yes, I watched the ending mentioning Virtua Fighter. MK2 and VF on the 32X are superior to any other 3D or 2D fighter on the Jag. At the end of the day, there are fun games on both platforms.

• Like 1

Both platforms are marginal at best. Not enough games to judge them all that positively, and even less good games at that.

Both of them are really only suggested if you already have a good collection of consoles (or swear by a single brand), in the end I would not recommend them to anyone as a starting point, or even middle.

They have their moments for sure, but I am glad they were not representative of the "next gen".

Seriously just taking the known loser of the real "next gen", that is the Saturn, it blows them both away so far that it is not even funny.

We have to admit that PlaySation, Saturn and N64 were all really way beyond the previous gen (MD, SNES and even NeoGeo) .... in that regard 32x and Jag really are at best pieces of conversation on par with 3DO (or maybe above if you are so inclined given they were both cheaper), signs of a dead branch on the evolutionary tree of videogames.

I agree that the video may have picked a little better, FPS would have seen the Jag better off with AvP and a better Doom than 32x and a very good Wolf3D, fighters would have been in favor of the 32x instead. 3D Space fighters again is 32x territory I believe Shadow Squadron and Star Wars are "better" than the Jag offering.

Comparing Burnout with AfterBurner is also weird, try it against Blue Lightning and then you see what I mean. By any stretch of the imagination Burnout is a good Jag game on its own right. Atari Kart beats BCRacer because BCRacer is really a bad game, Atari Karts is smooth but I found it boring in the end so not sure it matters much.

So yeah the needle can be turned every and each way depending on the particular mix and in the end reality is there's not that much to go off of compared to the generation earlier or the one right after.

Yep, I'd agree. Unless you were around during the 90's, there's no sense picking up either console/add-on in 2016. Even then, there are better choices out there with a far better payoff. However, I will say I defend the Neo Geo to this day. Yes it had no capability for 3D, but it survived a long time and even today it is still highly regarded in the 2D world and not just for fighters. If someone is looking for a retro system with hidden gems, I'd recommend the PC-E or Japanese Saturn library.

• Like 2

Personally I hate Knuckles Chaotix (and contest the videos assertion that it is acclaimed :P), would've rather seen Tempo in there.

As a "playful comparison" I think it does a nice job, but probably didn't need to be scored as the video itself indicates additional comparisons might tip the scales either direction.

Both platforms are marginal at best. Not enough games to judge them all that positively, and even less good games at that.

Both of them are really only suggested if you already have a good collection of consoles (or swear by a single brand), in the end I would not recommend them to anyone as a starting point, or even middle.

So yeah the needle can be turned every and each way depending on the particular mix and in the end reality is there's not that much to go off of compared to the generation earlier or the one right after.

To be fair, the 32x was an expansion. So hopefully if you have a 32x you're not ignoring the genesis library. Perhaps it did not live up to expectations but adding it to your system still gives you the opportunity to play some fantastic games that are a graphical leap above the genesis. Keeping in mind, the 32x launched for considerably less than the price other next gen consoles launched at (Jaguar, Saturn, PSX) and could well be seen as a way for Sega to provide a one-time fee for an enhancement chip (like the one in the $100 virtua racing) so that the per game price would be cheaper overall.

Judging them solely as unique gaming systems, I agree. There are much better systems out there. The 32X and the Jaguar have their own unique character and offer some unique exclusive games, but certainly not a library that you'd choose over a system like the PSX / N64/ Saturn

Edited by Willard

Birds of a feather ....

I swear by my AES .... don't anybody dares to touch it... I was lucky to get it relatively cheap so I had no sticker shock to go through (aside the damn MVS to AES converter that set me back a pretty penny)..

I agree that if one has done the tour with MD and SNES (and PS1, Saturn, N64), then PC-E/TG16 is a better investment as far as fun is concerned. The DC, XBox original, NGC and obviously PS2 are all much more fun to toy with than both 32x and Jag due to the maturity of their technology and wider selection of good games (stress on good games, even if to be fair the PS2 has such a huge selection that it is bound to entertain almost anybody)

I personally turned to Jag, 32x, 3DO (and even CDi) only when I got sick of going back into 8 bit territory (NES, SMS, 7800, CV and then I stopped ... couldn't get further back as it gets painfully obvious that most machines were severely under powered for the games they aspired to play) so I checked on what I thought I missed out and "completed" (so to speak) the "museum" that is now that particular closet of my apartment.

All while neglecting more modern consoles and actually missing out on quite a few very good contemporary games. Oh well only so much money to spend and so much time to play.

Both the 32x and Jag are relatively nice diversions to see pieces of the "what were they thinking?" of that era and how big names managed to mess up big time.

I had a 32X in late 94 / early 95. Also had a Jag in 1995. I sold the 32X, and kept the Jag. Doom was fun on the 32X, as was Virtua Racing. I think Virtua Racing is overrated though. Yes it looks great, smooth and controls well, but its TOO DARN HARD. That game frustrates me so much. You drive perfectly and still cant win. Ugh. I also had Cosmic Carnage. Hehe. I actually dig the graphics, story and feel of that game, but to actually play it, its pretty garbage.

For me, the Jag is clearly the better of the 2 systems, in all ways. In late 94 early 95 both systems were about the same price. Jag had way more games to choose from in late 94 early 95. By mid to late 95 quite a few 32X games came out, but I think most people gave up on the system around the time the Saturn launched in May 95.

Im not full up on the whole 32x library, but I don't think it has a massive free roaming game like Cybermorph. It doesn't have anything like Tempest 2000. No Wolf 3d. A weaker version of Doom. No AvP. No Rayman (though the 32X was supposed to get a version) Knuckles Chaotix, while pretty, is garbage to play.

The 32X system could only output composite video at best. Jag can do S video and RGB. And even with the limited Jag library, it seems to have a lot more games than the 32X.. I have a little bit of a soft spot for 32X, but Jag is clearly the winner. I think the systems are about equal on 3d power, but the Jag is better at 2d. And the Jag has better sound. And Iron soldier blows away the 32x mech game. 32x does win on fighters though, I will give it that. It also has baseball and golf games, Jag don't.

I had a 32X in late 94 / early 95. Also had a Jag in 1995. I sold the 32X, and kept the Jag. Doom was fun on the 32X, as was Virtua Racing. I think Virtua Racing is overrated though. Yes it looks great, smooth and controls well, but its TOO DARN HARD. That game frustrates me so much. You drive perfectly and still cant win. Ugh. I also had Cosmic Carnage. Hehe. I actually dig the graphics, story and feel of that game, but to actually play it, its pretty garbage.

For me, the Jag is clearly the better of the 2 systems, in all ways. In late 94 early 95 both systems were about the same price. Jag had way more games to choose from in late 94 early 95. By mid to late 95 quite a few 32X games came out, but I think most people gave up on the system around the time the Saturn launched in May 95.

Im not full up on the whole 32x library, but I don't think it has a massive free roaming game like Cybermorph. It doesn't have anything like Tempest 2000. No Wolf 3d. A weaker version of Doom. No AvP. No Rayman (though the 32X was supposed to get a version) Knuckles Chaotix, while pretty, is garbage to play.

The 32X system could only output composite video at best. Jag can do S video and RGB. And even with the limited Jag library, it seems to have a lot more games than the 32X.. I have a little bit of a soft spot for 32X, but Jag is clearly the winner. I think the systems are about equal on 3d power, but the Jag is better at 2d. And the Jag has better sound. And Iron soldier blows away the 32x mech game. 32x does win on fighters though, I will give it that. It also has baseball and golf games, Jag don't.

The 32X can do RGB and always could, it is just that in NTSC land it was worthless, and obviously no native SVideo.

I think Doom is more fun on the Jag but honestly the PC version rules anyway.

The Jag (+CD) has roughly twice as many games as the 32X, so there's that .... and CJ almost singlehandendly doubled the Jag library thanks to his ST ports .... so in that regard hats off to the Jag.

Both systems rock in my book. It's sad to see the crap games on them (as with any system) but the best games really showcase the level of quality that could have been achieved had the systems had a normal lifespan.

I was playing Darxide the other day on 32x and it blew my mind. Metalhead, Afterburner, Blackthorne, and MKII are also great.

Similarly Battlesphere, Skyhammer, Rayman, SuperBurnout, and Battlemorph are similar system showcases for the Jag.

The hardware is seldom the problem in video game history; it's the company, the time/place, available capital, marketing, competitive factors etc that lead to success or lack thereof and thus good libraries or weak. I strongly appreciate the few dozen great titles for both these systems and luckily for Jag there are more games in the pipeline :)

• Like 1

Not sure about "rocking" anyone's book.

They both have a handful of fun titles, but that can be said for 99% of the consoles ever produced (probably even the NGage had 1 or 2 decent enjoyable games ... never had one so I wouldn't know).

Compared to every other console that I dabbled with, both are pretty low on the scale, and yes quantity (of good games too) is a big factor.

Quantity alone is not a saving grace, but if you stack rank all consoles 16bits onwards (I'll let you decide how to place the 8 bits the way you prefer) they will be somewhere down the bottom together with 3DO, FM Towns Marty, Amiga CD32 ..... and not close to the top.

I would be interested if anyone ranks them better than a DC or N64 or Saturn or PS1, likely not but I am curious.

Also I think SNES and MD are more fun than either (quantity and quality and maturity).

I can only judge the "what has been" .... dunno anymore what to do with the "what it could have been" because the fact that "it hasn't been" is reason enough for me.

The games you mentioned are all good games but they are just a handful and alone cannot justify putting the consoles in question much higher than a few spots from the bottom.

• Like 1

Honestly, 32x had a better ratio of good to great games then the Jag, 32X had very few awful games where as 20 percent of the Jag library ranges from unplayable to awful.

But the 32X is a complicated add-on, where depending on genesis model, you had to add metal clamps for the cartridge slot, and a cable or 2, plus an extra power adapter, making it hard for modern gamers to find one in tact, plus of course a working Genesis.

When you add the Genesis library to the equation, of course it beat the Jag.

But 32x games do seem harder to find, even though it was a more successful system.

• Like 1

This guy, who made the movie, is one of the best of the retro game reviewers out there imo. He has a good objective take on the games, sees positive things and things that could have been better and mention it without screaming at the game. Has a cool calm voice too, sounds almost as a robot: adding to the objectiveness. Didn't know he was related to this forum.

Keep the films coming!

• Like 2

Yep, I'd agree. Unless you were around during the 90's, there's no sense picking up either console/add-on in 2016. Even then, there are better choices out there with a far better payoff. However, I will say I defend the Neo Geo to this day. Yes it had no capability for 3D, but it survived a long time and even today it is still highly regarded in the 2D world and not just for fighters. If someone is looking for a retro system with hidden gems, I'd recommend the PC-E or Japanese Saturn library.

Much as I wish I could afford a Neo-Geo AES, I was able to grab a Neo-Geo X with all the expansions and haven't regretted it one bit. A lot of those games are timeless.

But the 32X is a complicated add-on, where depending on genesis model, you had to add metal clamps for the cartridge slot, and a cable or 2, plus an extra power adapter, making it hard for modern gamers to find one in tact, plus of course a working Genesis.

But 32x games do seem harder to find, even though it was a more successful system.

The metal clamps aren't really necessary, they're actually quite cumbersome to use. There are also power supplies now that'll power the Gen + 32x, or even the Gen + CD + 32x all from one brick. 32x games IMO are easier to find and cheaper overall, of course there are some more expensive 32x titles that'll range almost what Battlesphere does if you want them CIB. I've got a nearly complete 32x collection, but honestly I'll never pay the asking price for World Series Baseball or Spiderman. It's just not worth it. Virtua Racing, VF, Star Wars, Doom and others are easily available loose for <$10.

Much as I wish I could afford a Neo-Geo AES, I was able to grab a Neo-Geo X with all the expansions and haven't regretted it one bit. A lot of those games are timeless.

Getting into the AES at today's prices is foolish. Going with a consolized MVS and buying those carts is a better route, or just get a 161 in 1 cart and call it a day.

I've been a Jag owner since 1993, but my library is still somewhat small. I have seen screenshots of Atari Karts over the years, but never had a chance play it. I was blown away by what I saw on this video. It looks gorgeous. I know it's rare but boy, I'd sure like to track down a copy.

I've been a Jag owner since 1993, but my library is still somewhat small. I have seen screenshots of Atari Karts over the years, but never had a chance play it. I was blown away by what I saw on this video. It looks gorgeous. I know it's rare but boy, I'd sure like to track down a copy.

It does look good but it is kind of boring and the music is not that great imho.

That is the reason it is not really highly regarded in anyone's list, it's somewhat rare (hence expensive) so people think it must be better than it really is.

I took the plunge and bought it at around 70US$ .... not too happy with it at that price (but at least it made me stop buying expensive old games thinking to find a treasure trove of fun and entertainment)

If it was in the 20$/30$ range I would be less critical.

You should really buy it, and expand your collection with a few more games. I bought Atari karts and I like it and see it as a good Jaguar game. My plan is to complete games, so with that goal it was a lot of fun getting trough tournament after tournament in Karts and getting more challenge on the way. Also, you can play it 2 players and with the other CPU opponents at the same time, not only the two players as in Burnout. It might be rarer but it's almost out on Ebay all the time, and if you want it it is worth the money needed to get it.

Just allow yourself the game. I put around 200 usd on "fun and games" every month, so expand that modest collection of yours without scruples (misery loves company). Your kids will respect you for it!

You should really buy it, and expand your collection with a few more games. I bought Atari karts and I like it and see it as a good Jaguar game. My plan is to complete games, so with that goal it was a lot of fun getting trough tournament after tournament in Karts and getting more challenge on the way.

Yeah, I probably will pick it up after seeing the video. I love my Jag, but I'm not obsessed with getting every game. I'd just as soon stick with the good ones. A year or two ago I picked up Rayman, and I absolutely love it (though it is quite challenging).

Games I own: Cybermorph, Tempest, AvP, Defender, Pitfall, NBA Jam, Rayman, Zool 2, Hover Strike, Troy Aikman Football, Syndicate, Flip Out, Trevor McFur.

• Like 1

Comparing Super Burn out with Afterburner is quite strange: why not comparing Superburner with Blue lightning and comparing Super Burn oput with a bike game that would make more sense.

Now it is very simplistic and limited comparison anyway: no fps, no beat them all...

To get an objective opinion, better compare the games the 2 systems have in common such as Soulstars?

I thought Superburnout was an inspired comparison actually, as Afterburner and Superburnout are both very fast arcade games with a chase cam perspective and rely heavily on scaled sprites. IMO I'd say they are even, although I might give the edge to Afterburner due to its status as a legendary arcade game.

There just aren't that many games in common between the systems. I guess you could have:

-Soulstar beta on the 32x versus Soulstar beta on the Jag CD (win for Jag b/c the Jag beta has a lot more content)
-Doom 32x versus Doom Jag (win for Jag b/c its doom is full screen, has network capabilities, and more content)
-NBA Jam 32x versus NBA Jam jag (never played either version)
-Pitfall 32x versus Pitfall Jag (never really played either version)
-Primal Rage 32x versus Primal Rage Jag (neither version is great, but I'd pick the 32x version because the Jag CD version has serious game breaking input lag)
-Wolfenstein 3D 32x homebrew version versus Wolfenstein 3D Jag (32x homebrew version has slow down, no music and is based on dos version with lower resolution graphics, I'd go for the Jag version)

If you dip into the genesis library (hey, they are all playable on the 32x), you could scrape a couple more titles together, though its not a true comparison then.
-Zoop genesis versus Zoop Jag (never played either but they look about the same)
-Out of this World genesis versus Another World Jag (Jag version looks much higher quality in terms of detailed graphics and sound)
-Cannon Fodder genesis versus Cannon Fodder Jag (never really played either)
-Double Dragon V genesis versus Double Dragon V Jag (never played either)
-Dragon Bruce Lee genesis versus Dragon Bruce Lee Jag (never played either)
-Flashback genesis versus Flashback Jag (Genesis version has a reduced color palette but allegedly less slowdown, doesn't seem clear which wins)
-Raiden genesis versus Raiden Jag (graphics are better and more colorful on Jag)
-Theme Park genesis versus Theme Park Jag (never played either version)
-Wolfenstein 3D genesis homebrew version versus Wolfenstein 3D Jag (Jag version is more streamlined, has more weapons and high res graphics, but homebrew genesis version has all content from dos version, which is a lot more levels, good in different ways)
-Total Carnage genesis versus Total Carnage Jag (never really played either but Jag version looks like it has better graphics)

Edited by sirlynxalot