IGNORED

Who is going to buy the Playstation VR this October?

Bilnick

Review 100% ignored for click bait review:

"The long-awaited PlayStation VR headset came out last week, carrying with Sony’s hopes of enticing PS4 owners into taking yet another pricey hardware plunge. The aspirational sales pitch for PSVR is a bit counterintuitive. Only one person can wear PlayStation VR at a time and the new headset doesn’t deliver a showpiece experience you can share. It seals you into a closed-off world; the uniqueness of the delivery system is an anti-social one. You can’t gather friends around PSVR to collectively ooh and ahh over how much more shiny things are."

What do they expect 100 headsets to come in the box so you can give 1 to every one of your friends. If the person knew anything about VR before writing this review would know you have to wear ahead set to play and yes you can only fit 1 head in each headset at a time. Click bait central ere nothing more nothing less. A web sight who k nows nothing about the technology doing a review on it

• Like 1

Review 100% ignored for click bait review:

"The long-awaited PlayStation VR headset came out last week, carrying with Sony’s hopes of enticing PS4 owners into taking yet another pricey hardware plunge. The aspirational sales pitch for PSVR is a bit counterintuitive. Only one person can wear PlayStation VR at a time and the new headset doesn’t deliver a showpiece experience you can share. It seals you into a closed-off world; the uniqueness of the delivery system is an anti-social one. You can’t gather friends around PSVR to collectively ooh and ahh over how much more shiny things are."

What do they expect 100 headsets to come in the box so you can give 1 to every one of your friends. If the person knew anything about VR before writing this review would know you have to wear ahead set to play and yes you can only fit 1 head in each headset at a time. Click bait central ere nothing more nothing less. A web sight who k nows nothing about the technology doing a review on it

Yeah, this is absolutely ridiculous.

• 2 months later...

I just got one for Christmas :) Was actually surprised to see that it was the launch bundle. In December! I thought these were totally sold out, and they were just selling the core unit now with stores making up their own "bundles". But mine's the official launch bundle.

So far I'm really impressed. The whole experience is not without its downsides, but it's the first gaming-related anything I've gotten in the past decade or so that made me go "wow!" the first time I tried it out. It really is amazingly immersive. I feel like that's gotta mean something; very few things I've ever tried that gave me that reaction *didn't* end up becoming mainstream.

I only have the demo disc and VR Worlds that it came with, but I'm not even close to done with those yet. I know I'll be buying Rez Infinite because that's one of the reasons I wanted the PS VR to begin with. Definitely will buy Battlezone when it drops in price a bit. Probably Driveclub VR too. Really liked the Rush of Blood demo and it's only $20.

I did not like the setup, which is *way* too complicated and has made a mess of my TV setup, and I can't use it for more than about 30-40 minutes at a time without getting both uncomfortable and the start of a headache. That may partly be endemic to the tech but it's also probably partly just a big, bulky headset. As these things get smaller and lighter, I'm sure the comfort part will at least disappear. The headache might not because it's the same deal as seeing a 3D movie (though I can last a couple hours with those without any real ill effects - it could also be close focusing that's part of the problem).

So I've got some physical issues that I wish I didn't, but as a piece of tech, this is really the first thing that's impressed me like this in a long time.

• 2 weeks later...

I have PS VR! Like you said it's very immersive. Batman Arkham is the coolest game so far. The visuals are amazing. I like it and I think the potential is great. My main issue is with the lack of good or great games. Rush of blood is ok but the rest is meh. I'm hoping Resident Evil 7 will change that. Also the number of wires required is ridiculous and it's a nightmare for your gaming room.

I have PS VR! Like you said it's very immersive. Batman Arkham is the coolest game so far. The visuals are amazing. I like it and I think the potential is great. My main issue is with the lack of good or great games. Rush of blood is ok but the rest is meh. I'm hoping Resident Evil 7 will change that. Also the number of wires required is ridiculous and it's a nightmare for your gaming room.

Try the Valkyrie game. It looks and plays amazing if you like space combat style games.

My main issue is with the lack of good or great games. Rush of blood is ok but the rest is meh.

A lot of people say that but I actually don't feel that way from playing all the demos. There are at least 10 games I could legitimately see myself buying (bought two of them already), and that's just from the launch stuff. I have fewer games than that for some entire consoles, let alone an accessory (albeit an expensive accessory).

I feel like if literally no other games came out, I'd be happy. Between the current game selection and the wow factor of the tech itself, there's more than enough to justify the purchase. It's a far cry from some of the other add-ons of the past that really did rely on future promises rather than what was currently available. With PS VR, I feel like Sony pretty much blew their load right at launch, and the trickle of new games that's going to come out afterwards is basically icing on the cake.

I will be buying RE7, though. Probably also that Star Trek game, although I get the impression it's online-only.

btw I did buy Rush of Blood - love it. It's a VR light gun game! I haven't played a light gun game since switching to an LCD TV. Just wish they hadn't made one level a spider level...

Edited by spacecadet

• 3 weeks later...

Tried this system out over the weekend. I will say it has a lot of potential and if very cool to experience. I played some sort of tech demo (I think it's a demo maybe it's considered a full game) with about 4 different scenarios/games. One was a deep diving cage experience that was very cool, but kind of showed off the limitations of such a system which is basically you're around for the ride. It was a great experience, and fun, but I could see it getting old quick after "playing" through a few times, simply because there isn't much beyond the scripted "ride" I found myself wishing I could swim out to other areas, and had more option to explore. The other games which included a type of 3D Wall Ball significantly cooler than what Avalon Hill accomplished on the Atari 2600, but the same concept, and a neat platform jumping game where you have to avoid getting seen by giant guns looking to pick you off. Of all of these the Ocean Decent was probably my favorite, in as far as the "WOW" factor.

I also played most of the way through the Batman game and I really enjoyed it a lot, but again don't see much in the way of replayability, and again the game suffers a bit from having Batman have to remain so static through most of the experience. I did love the looking around for and examining clues. Again the potential is there but I think it's hampered by the limitation right now. The wires were a big distraction at times, especially when trying to turn around and look behind you only to find the wire had caught on something taking you out of the moment. Hoping they can eventually figure out a way to do away with the wires.

Later on thinking back fondly about what I experienced, I thought that some of the old point and click adventures would be AWESOME for this type of rig. Think games like Myst or Shadowgate. Visiting static locations and examining the environment, solving puzzles to advance to new static location is something VR would be great at IMO. After playing it, I'd definitely be interested in eventually purchasing one, but I'll wait until there is a price drop and they perfect the game play a little more.

I also played most of the way through the Batman game and I really enjoyed it a lot, but again don't see much in the way of replayability, and again the game suffers a bit from having Batman have to remain so static through most of the experience. I did love the looking around for and examining clues. Again the potential is there but I think it's hampered by the limitation right now. The wires were a big distraction at times, especially when trying to turn around and look behind you only to find the wire had caught on something taking you out of the moment. Hoping they can eventually figure out a way to do away with the wires.

The wires definitely eventually have to go.

As for the staticness, that's just the games you played - it's not a technical limitation, it's actually the way designers are designing games for VR right now. There's a thought that moving in a VR game while you're static in real life makes some people sick. Maybe that's true, I'm not sure, but it doesn't happen to me and I'm always kind of disappointed when I fire up a VR game (like Batman, which I also have) and it ends up being point and click.

RE7 lets you walk around like a normal game. Supposedly some people have said it did make them sick. I started getting a little queasy towards the end of the demo but it wasn't because of the movement, it was literally because of this oppressive reality I was in. I actually thought that was a positive for the technology - it really made me feel like I was in that world, and after a certain period of time I just had to get out.

There are plenty of other games where you move around freely in the VR space... Battlezone, Star Wars Battlefront VR Mission, Eve Valkyrie, etc. These are games where you're in some kind of vehicle, though. It seems like right now developers are making an intentional choice to limit movement in games played from a realistic POV, but hopefully that'll change as people get more used to it. It's kind of like the early days of movie theaters right now where unless a film was specifically designed to scare people, filmmakers would avoid intentional shots of things coming right at the camera because people would run out of the theater in terror.

Edited by spacecadet