IGNORED

RespeQt r3 released

Joey Z

there is an issue with the Log-window: whenever you open and close a log window, it will open again when you go to the preferences-tools-window. if you open the log window once more, and close it, it will open two log-windows when you enter the preferences-tools.

may be, the log-window is just hidden instead of detroyed? idk much about GUI programming but I remembered some sort of that ...

Desperately wanted to see this, bit it simply does not happen ... icon_smile.gif

In regards my problem with the SIO2PC-USB which I documented in tedious detail above; they still occur but I have largely obviated their impact by adding a 'reset' button to the device. This is a momentary off-on 1P1T push button which on command connects the #RESET Pin19 of the FT232R to earth and reboots the chip. This was a little tricky as - annoyingly - that particular pin is not broken-out on the SparkFun board I used, so I had to carefully lift it with a very fine lace-making pin and then solder a wire to the switch. Not easy at the scale of this IC, nor pretty! However I ended up securing things with the ever-reliable hot glue and the whole thing is hidden inside the box anyway. Now when it seems the SIO2PC-USB has lost connection with the PC I just need to push the reset button, effectively power-cycling the device and leading it to be detected again. This means I thankfully don't need to grope in the dark behind my PC every time this happens to un/plug the USB cable. So... Not problem solved at all, but certainly problem-all-but-ignored.

post-31546-0-38863200-1472480651_thumb.jpg - A pretty solid little device now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One suggestion I might make for the next release here and the PCLink version is some kind of minimal UI for tape loading. Specifically some kind of basic spectrum display showing the peak outline of the tape and a slider that would let us 'fast forward' or 'rewind' where the file will be 'played' from to locate the start of other recorded programmes than the first on the tape. Altirra currently has this kind of setup to monitor and cue the *.CAS input and it would be doubly invaluable here.

Another question that occurs to me while writing this - is it possible to 'CSAVE' files through the SIO2PC and RespeQT to a *.CAS on the PC? That would also be extremely cool, although I am sure no easy thing to implement.

• 7 months later...

One suggestion I might make for the next release here and the PCLink version is some kind of minimal UI for tape loading. Specifically some kind of basic spectrum display showing the peak outline of the tape and a slider that would let us 'fast forward' or 'rewind' where the file will be 'played' from to locate the start of other recorded programmes than the first on the tape. Altirra currently has this kind of setup to monitor and cue the *.CAS input and it would be doubly invaluable here.

Another question that occurs to me while writing this - is it possible to 'CSAVE' files through the SIO2PC and RespeQT to a *.CAS on the PC? That would also be extremely cool, although I am sure no easy thing to implement.

Unfortunately, no, and it will probably never be done. Saving tapes sends audio over the SIO data line instead of data. You'd need to hook your atari SIO cord into a sound card really. Maybe you could look at the raw data in value somehow (no clue if there's an API for that) and measure the timing, but I'm guessing this is *probably* not worth it, better to make some sort of SIO -> audio interface specifically for recording 'tapes'.

Unfortunately, no, and it will probably never be done. Saving tapes sends audio over the SIO data line instead of data. You'd need to hook your atari SIO cord into a sound card really. Maybe you could look at the raw data in value somehow (no clue if there's an API for that) and measure the timing, but I'm guessing this is *probably* not worth it, better to make some sort of SIO -> audio interface specifically for recording 'tapes'.

No worries Joey Z--many thanks for giving it a look anyway!!!

Going from the earlier discussion about 'full' emulation of the XF551 and its weird data transmission characteristics it sounds like we are brushing up against the edges of the what is possible over a USB connection with the FT232RL chip anyway.

Would the 'spectrum analyser'/visualizer thing to aid in *.CAS cue'ing be possible at some point? I think that would entirely be on the PC-side of the picture and therefore possible in software.

Would the 'spectrum analyser'/visualizer thing to aid in *.CAS cue'ing be possible at some point? I think that would entirely be on the PC-side of the picture and therefore possible in software.

It's not out of the question, but I think enhancement of cassette support is a backburner item now and probably for quite some time.