IGNORED

TurboFreezer XL/XE 2011 in a remake of 2016

santosp

@Tigerduck

The new Freezer construction have only one connector, therefore don't need excessive force to remove or place it on its socket.

But I am agree with you, cause the removal and place isn't something for daily use. Or worse just for fun.

Just for my confirmation, the "new" Freezer will work with the old Adapter without any modifications?

I assume that the second connector is only for stability, because conntacts on the board are going through.

Hello IndusGT

I've looked through some ABBUC Magazines and found it in issue #118. It's called "Debug-Display". It's got four switches, and six 7-segment displays. Four for the address and two for the content of that address. Both of course in hexadecimal.

Sincerely

Mathy

Is this a programmer's tool or does it have an everyday use?

Hello IndusGT

I guess it's more a programmer's tool than something everybody would use every day. If you use the freezer a lot, you're probably gonna like the Debug-Display. AFAIK, the Debug-Display never made it to production. But since Panos is building the Freezer, it might be nice to have the Debug-Display build too. For a technical point of view, the Debug-Display is way simpler than the TF2011. Read more about the Debug-Display here on AtariAge.

BILD2.jpg

Sincerely

Mathy

Hi Santosh,

as for the "Debugger Display". There is one thing that I had in mind as an extension using the Turbo Freezer. The core of the debugger display is mainly a set of address/mode comparatrors that trigger something when a certain address is hit. My idea was to use that to virtually "press the freezer button" (and trigger an IRQ at the same time).

This would allow for something that has never been there before: A hardware breakpoint

The least that would be required, would be the possibility to somehow connect a write to the trigger button.

• Like 5

OH MY YES YES YES!

A hardware breakpoint... that is something that would make my atari 8bit life much easier.

As you all know I refuse to use emulators (only if I really can't find an issue with my code) ... so this would be a real good idea.

The Turbo Freezer 2011 is already an incredible piece of hardware, and Panos' new version is extremely well done!

post-37301-0-02113000-1459319847_thumb.jpg post-37301-0-19608400-1459319858_thumb.jpg post-37301-0-60283800-1459319881_thumb.jpg

I had to include one all lit up!

post-37301-0-43347900-1459319875_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, I've not yet managed to get it working on my Incognito's PBI, but that's not the fault of the Turbo Freezer.

Thank you, Panos!

• Like 2

Unfortunately, I've not yet managed to get it working on my Incognito's PBI, but that's not the fault of the Turbo Freezer.

Despite previously soldering a pin header to the underside of the TF adapter, I've since realized the easiest way to hook the Freezer up to the Incognito is by using a standard 50 way XL PBI cable in the reverse orientation:

post-21964-0-54569200-1459343127_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

When using the Turbo Freezer with the Incognito, if I enter the TF menu while in a game with player missile graphics the menu comes up and I can save, but upon returning to the game the spirtes are all messed up. Have you experienced this at all?

When using the Turbo Freezer with the Incognito, if I enter the TF menu while in a game with player missile graphics the menu comes up and I can save, but upon returning to the game the spirtes are all messed up. Have you experienced this at all?

Is this specific to the Incognito or do you see similar issues on a "real" XL as well? Which games show these issues?

I don't have an Incognito board so can't test myself.

Edit: where did you save to, Freezer RAM, ramdisk or external file/disk? Was the screen collapsed/rolling after saving?

Marius recently reported an issue with the Freezer, the screen flickering/rolling during save locked up his Atari (probably ANTIC DMA accessing some hardware registers that triggered sideeffects). I've already fixed that issue in my code, drop me a line if you want to beta-test the current development version.

so long,

Hias

Edited by HiassofT