IGNORED

Ok... Seriously Tempted by VR

MotoRacer

Yeah. That would lietrally be a game changer. And down the line they could implement augmented reality. Then you would have some steel batalion type Controller, and it would be as if you really were in a mech. Or with a racing wheel you'd be really seeing things as if you were in that Cockpit driving that car. In this specific Situation I can see VR working perfectly. But as soon as you are moving with a Controller and you can't really interact witht he Environment in a realistic way at all I think it loses a lot of the Appeal. In those cases it's not really too much beyond what mouse and Keyboard offer on a Ultra widescreen Setup.

• Like 1

Yeah. That would lietrally be a game changer. And down the line they could implement augmented reality. Then you would have some steel batalion type Controller, and it would be as if you really were in a mech. Or with a racing wheel you'd be really seeing things as if you were in that Cockpit driving that car. In this specific Situation I can see VR working perfectly. But as soon as you are moving with a Controller and you can't really interact witht he Environment in a realistic way at all I think it loses a lot of the Appeal. In those cases it's not really too much beyond what mouse and Keyboard offer on a Ultra widescreen Setup.

Well to be fair, all three options have motion controllers, and with the vive and oculus, boy their controllers track your hands within the game.

Oculus' controllers come to you for free in the second half of the year if you preorder the system. Valve controllers come with the vive at launch.

So you might see that level of interaction sooner than you think. This first generation of software won't really scratch the surface of ideas I don't think. Prob Amy next year before we get some really immersive software.

I've been developing for the rift for awhile(I've worked on and continue to work on some AR/VR concepts for training and therapy), and honestly don't think it's worth it as a game platform.

*at this moment in time* I feel that for the same amount of money, playing on a highend superwide monitor is a better experience(3440x1080 IPSs for example).

My current biggest complaint is that even if you have the best rig you possibly can, the visual fidelity of the games is so poor even on the CV1, that it constantly breaks any sense of immersion and reminds you that you're playing in a low resolution game.

Until we see some actual "killer games" that use VR technologies in a way that can only translate to VR and are worth playing, I'd rather play games on a nice monitor.

This will get better over time, but that's how I feel about it now as someone who uses and does VR projects frequently,

• Like 1

This will get better over time, but that's how I feel about it now as someone who uses and does VR projects frequently,

I too work on VR projects and it feels like this has happened before. It reminds me of the "Multimedia Gulch" days when software companies and content providers jumped onto the "CD-ROM" revolution only to find that there were not a lot of customers for their on-rails, lightly-interactive products. How many people will pay for a second "360-video choose your own adventure" after they are burned on the first?

• Like 1

I too work on VR projects and it feels like this has happened before. It reminds me of the "Multimedia Gulch" days when software companies and content providers jumped onto the "CD-ROM" revolution only to find that there were not a lot of customers for their on-rails, lightly-interactive products. How many people will pay for a second "360-video choose your own adventure" after they are burned on the first?

Yeah that's kinda how it feels. I think we're thankfully maybe a step beyond that already, but the games to justify the experience just aren't there, and playing other games in VR is just a worse experience overall once you get past the novelty of doing it a few times.

Edited by Chocobro
  • Like 1

Yeah that's kinda how it feels. I think we're thankfully maybe a step beyond that already, but the games to justify the experience just aren't there, and playing other games in VR is just a worse experience overall once you get past the novelty of doing it a few times.

I think stuff like Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes is on the right track. Of course, I'm also intrigued by this guy who made a Paper Boy clone in VR.

• Like 1

Other than possible visual fidelity, I disagree that it's a worse experience. Being able to see around a turn in a driving game, or seeing a target above me in a space shooter aren't something that you can do in a realistic manor with traditional controls. There are head trackers, but I don't like that you have to turn your head while still looking forward. It doesn't feel quite right, and the room surroundings constantly reminding you you're in your living room don't help with the immersion factor.

Again, it'll get better. A lot better. And if people want to wait because of that, that's perfectly understandable. It's not like I'm getting rid of my monitor any time soon :P. That being said, I think what is being offered will work just fine for what it's intended for, and components will only become better and cheaper as time goes by.

As far as the 360 degree experiences you guys were talking about, similar to on-rails interactive games from the past, the only thing I can see that's kinda similar are the 360 degree "experience" films they're making for rental/ownership. For a plot-less experience, I think that works fine, and they can be really fun, especially since there's replayability in the sense you can't see everything all at once, and have to rewatch the film a few times to get everything going on around you.

Couple that with the ILM experience that is also interactive, and will have you solve technical problems on the Falcon by hitting switches and pulling levers to fix issues mid-flight, or lightsaber fights with the motion controllers, you have a "film" style experience with light interaction that works on a much higher level than the old pre-rendered on rails shooters and the like of the CD era.

But again, just my opinion. I find this all much more impressive and much more interactive, and less limiting.

Do you think Bushnell is right? That VR will make arcades viable again?

I don't think so. Especially since you can have it at home, same with high powered hardware.

The arcades were popular because it offered experiences you couldn't yet have at home. That and the arcade machines with VR/AR would be VERY costly, and would be a huge risk for those wanting to open a new arcade, and there would be little proof showing it would take off or not. I just don't see it happening.

I think we'd all love to see arcades come back (outside of places like D&B), but I don't see it happening. Technology, even when it's new, is still cheap enough (or will get cheap fast enough) for it to be something customers can afford themselves, instead of something they have to "rent" in a public setting for decades before it's able to be in their home.

I ended up putting my pre-order just now. It won't ship or charge me till July. I figure, I'm in line for it, and for whatever reason, if the thing is terrible, DOA, bursts into flames on people's heads... whatever, I can cancel the order so long as it's not shipped, and I'm not out of any money in the meantime. It's a win win. Here's to hoping they do this right. We shall see.

• Like 1

Do you think Bushnell is right? That VR will make arcades viable again?

It's an intriguing thought, to be sure- considering the expense of the headsets, there's definitely people who'd rather pay a couple dollars to try it for 15 minutes instead of shelling out a few hundred and sacrificing a room in their home. I know I certainly don't have the option to have a 'VR room'. (I'm assuming the vive-style setup where you actually move about the space is going to be a goal for most VR here.)

At the same time, though- you'll need tech that can't be had in your home and some 'killer apps' to get & keep people interested beyond just trying it out once. As it stands, I think a few cities could pull off a temporary VR arcade- think something like an exhibit at the local science center. But something permanent? I'm not so sure.

I don't think VR is that good for arcade. The best about arcades were those durable easy to operate machines. Yu just had them Standing there and Kids or adults all Ages could just throw quarters in there and things would work on their own. Not with VR you Need a Person taking care of things, you'll have a line of waiting, the tech is very expensive, it's not a quickly drom in, quickly drop out Kind of experience either.

It coulr be that some VR boots apear around, and some dedicated VR games, but it's going to be something completely different that what the arcades were, (and to a very limited extend still are)

Having the PSVR open to cross-platform use, especially as a lower cost PC option to the Rift, would be a really great idea on their part. Universal out of the gates would be huge for them but like most gaming companies, they want to ensure sales of the PS4 platform so by restricting it, I guess the assumption would be that they'll be doing better and push more PS4 sales.

Called it...

http://3dvrcentral.com/2016/03/28/sony-considering-playstation-vr-pc/

• 2 weeks later...

I love this story :lolblue:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/04/06/htc-vive-vr-problems/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RockPaperShotgun+%28Rock%2C+Paper%2C+Shotgun%29

"There’s something uniquely amazing about physically reaching your hand out to touch something in a game. But then I remember how much I enjoy being able to run freely around a game’s world without having to teleport or feel like I’m in a falling lift. How rarely I think to myself, “I AM STARING AT A FLAT MONITOR SCREEN” when I’m enjoying a game. How pleasant it is not to walk into furniture or trip over wires when playing a video game. And, perhaps most significantly, how much I enjoy playing games that last more than twenty minutes.

Room-scale VR’s time will come. In a couple of decades, when we’re all old, old people, it will be a pair of glasses with no wires and it will be bloody amazing. But today it’s still really the parody of the late ’80s giant headsets, only marginally less giant. As for the Vive itself – well, for those who live in vast palaces there’s potential for brief entertainment, but I can’t see any realistic prospect of long-term durability. I’d love to be wrong, though."