IGNORED

New to Amiga

nd2003grad

Nebulon, are you based in Europe like I am? Over here, Amiga 500's were (and sometimes still are *) plentiful and cheap, while I've come to understand that you will have to look for quite a while in the US to find any Amiga at all, so in that aspect someone who is determined to get into it, might as well wait and pay extra for the 1200.

(*) As late as today, I saw an advertisement in the classifieds about someone giving away their Amiga 500 to someone willing to give it a good home. That might happen just about anywhere, but the more uncommon it is on the market, the less chance someone will pay money for the advertisement to donate it.

Man...in addition to the games previously mentioned:

Desert Strike (which I believe was Electronic Arts' final title for Amiga. Pissed me off when they discontinued Amiga games because NHL Hockey was supposed to be next.)

Megaball

Vroom (VERY underappreciated racing game)

Worms

Walker

Scorched Tanks

BTW, IMHO the greatest piece of software ever written: Directory Opus, which later evolved into the mind-blowing Workbench replacement called Directory Opus Magellan. I wish there were an equivalent for OSX, I'll tell ya what.

Edited by Dauber
  • Like 1

Been an Amiga user since 1986. Never really used Dopus until a couple of years ago. True story! :lol:

(never tried Magellan)

DOpus is awesome. I never got into the Workbench replacements (or that mode of DOpus,) though. I preferred to use the real Workbench and then a file manager.

Ditto. I found Directory Opus to be great for file handling, batch processing and launching some applications associated with files, but I never saw it as a full Workbench replacement, however it may have evolved into one in the latter half of the 90's and forward.

Nebulon, are you based in Europe like I am? Over here, Amiga 500's were (and sometimes still are *) plentiful and cheap, while I've come to understand that you will have to look for quite a while in the US to find any Amiga at all, so in that aspect someone who is determined to get into it, might as well wait and pay extra for the 1200.

(*) As late as today, I saw an advertisement in the classifieds about someone giving away their Amiga 500 to someone willing to give it a good home. That might happen just about anywhere, but the more uncommon it is on the market, the less chance someone will pay money for the advertisement to donate it.

I'm out near the Rocky Mountains. I knew Europe had a lot of Amigas, but didn't realize people were giving them away there. :) Pretty unusual for that to happen over here. Although, I do recall giving away an Amiga 2000 a while back. It's good to see these machines going to homes where they'll be well taken care of.

If you want to have a fantastic Amiga experience that won't break the bank, get an Amiga 500 with 1MB RAM. You'll be able to play most (90%) of the games that made the Amiga special in the eyes of its aficionados. For the rest, pick up a copy of Amiga Forever and set up a desktop emulation environment using this guide from The Cake is a Lie gaming.

You can hook up a modern LCD to an A500 using a $20 GBS8200 board from eBay, an Amiga monitor cable, and minimal soldering skills. Don't waste your money on an A520 that will most likely blow up your machine or an expensive downsampler. Check out this video we did on the process.

Here are the results. As you can see, the image is crystal clear and flicker free.

• Like 2

If you want to have a fantastic Amiga experience that won't break the bank, get an Amiga 500 with 1MB RAM. You'll be able to play most (90%) of the games that made the Amiga special in the eyes of its aficionados. For the rest, pick up a copy of Amiga Forever and set up a desktop emulation environment using this guide from The Cake is a Lie gaming.

You can hook up a modern LCD to an A500 using a $20 GBS8200 board from eBay, an Amiga monitor cable, and minimal soldering skills. Don't waste your money on an A520 that will most likely blow up your machine or an expensive downsampler. Check out this video we did on the process.

Here are the results. As you can see, the image is crystal clear and flicker free.

Very cool.

To save on Amiga monitor cables being sliced-up, it would be cool if there was some kind of little adaptor that went in-between the BGS8200 card and the Amiga monitor cable.

If someone were to make a few of those, I'd certainly consider purchasing one. Could make for a neat cottage industry....

Very cool.

To save on Amiga monitor cables being sliced-up, it would be cool if there was some kind of little adaptor that went in-between the BGS8200 card and the Amiga monitor cable.

If someone were to make a few of those, I'd certainly consider purchasing one. Could make for a neat cottage industry....

Monitor cables are $10 or less.

http://www.vesalia.de/e_amigamonitorcables%5b6539%5d.htm?slc=us&gclid=CjwKEAjwya-6BRDR3p6FuY2-u3MSJAD1paxTnCSIHvK4feFjsx7LQS40xm7wJqgC3SE4hUBKsqRaExoC8A7w_wcB

1084 cables are $10.

http://www.vesalia.de/?V02b0f1152534e1279575e53520a514e01101f0954414752050140090a1e3111567f766c34323e756e0c0a2c657f2e39291b39630b03383a27307f792e6d6a696545177f77090b725601654a49465e454159343575134752591e6652147453175b7a763355207366676c47482d6e637c643031274

I understand your fear of running out of monitor cables, but the reality is the world will run out of 1084 monitors before it even comes close to running out of aftermarket monitor cables. Even after removing the connector to attach it to a GBS board, it is not permanently destroying the cable--you could easily re-solder the end back in place if you wanted to.

To me, the end result of more people getting to use Amiga hardware is the most important thing.

Edited by BoatofCar
  • Like 1

For that matter, it would not be too difficult to build a short adapter cable which would preclude slicing-n-dicing up a monitor cable. That said, yeah, I would err on the side of operability. Figure this -- I threw out four dead Amiga monitors. Therefore, that frees up four cables.

How does an A520 "blow up" an Amiga computer? :ponder:

With the A520, the image is so blurry that while using one, you have the distinct urge to blow up your Amiga 500! ;-)

Luckily, your eyes will be so sore that you generally aren't able to wire up the explosives... ;-)

desiv

• Like 1

For that matter, it would not be too difficult to build a short adapter cable which would preclude slicing-n-dicing up a monitor cable. That said, yeah, I would err on the side of operability. Figure this -- I threw out four dead Amiga monitors. Therefore, that frees up four cables.

Ugh... could have probably repaired all 4 monitors. :(

(get your point, but hate to hear this kind of thing!)

Ugh... could have probably repaired all 4 monitors. :(

(get your point, but hate to hear this kind of thing!)

Truth be told, I lament having to throw them out, but in order to fix them I would have had to ship them off as there are no longer any shops within a reasonable distance who will repair CRT devices. I did all of the "known" fixes on them.

Truth be told, again, I tried to give away two working 2002s. GIVE THEM AWAY, just pay the $20 for shipping. NO ONE, NO ONE would take them. Seriously? Unfortunately, at the time I was not in a position to keep storing them until needed so they had to go.

• Like 1

If you are just interested in trying out the Amiga to play some games, I would suggest an emulator like Amiga forever or pick up an A500. Even a nice 2000 will do the job if you don't mind the big box. Plus they are bomb proof but the downside is they use SCSI drives which are scarce unless you consider the SCSI2SD card option. As for Amiga games. I loved Pirates!/Civilization/Railroad Tycoon and The AD&D adventures such as Pool of Radiance series and Eye of the Beholder were good fun.

If you decide on an AGA machine (1200/4000) then you can end up parting with a lot of cash, especially if you go to Ebay. Prices can get crazy especially once you factor in Accelerators etc.

I agree. An adaptor all the way.

Out of curiosity, what was wrong with the monitors. Did they by chance start making a high-pitch noise and then go blank?