IGNORED

[STUPID] Sock Hack

superwill64

Ok so in an attempt to get some post points (so I can access other areas of the site), I will tell you guys about my SOCK HACK.

My Vectrex is in decent condition, however, the volume button is a bit touchy. It will produce no sound, brief static, or abrupt loudness. To remedy this, I need to turn the volume control until I hit the sweet spot. This sucks because I can't really choose what level the sound will output at, because of that, sometimes the volume sweet spot is at 8/10 the max volume. Too loud!!! So, I recently started to stuff a pair of socks into the controller area to suppress the sound, bringing it down to a comfortable 3/10 of the maximum volume. So if your power button is on the fritz on your vectrex, just put a sock in it !

(dont ban me please @_@)

Edited by superwill64
  • Like 4

There is always room for thrilling new ideas on this planet.

It is a good demonstration of advantages of vintage computer technology over modern systems. Consider how you would fix a modern n-core Pentium ixyz SandyBottom system with a pair of socks. Or, in other words, which system would you like to control your space capsule on the way to the moon: The system that crashes due to error 0xf3dc800eab20, or the one you can fix with your space socks???

:)

Ok, I'll be banned, too. :P

• Like 1

I had a similar problem with the Vectrex that I acquired about a year ago. The volume was always too loud.

At the advice of another user on this board I pulled off the volume control knob and sprayed some high end electronics cleaner into the stem. (The knob will come off. I was afraid to pull too hard at first.) After waiting a few hours for everything to dry the volume control worked perfectly. Just be sure to get a cleaner that is safe for plastics. Don't use WD-40.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar problem with the Vectrex that I acquired about a year ago. The volume was always too loud.

At the advice of another user on this board I pulled off the volume control knob and sprayed some high end electronics cleaner into the stem. (The knob will come off. I was afraid to pull too hard at first.) After waiting a few hours for everything to dry the volume control worked perfectly. Just be sure to get a cleaner that is safe for plastics. Don't use WD-40.

What brand did you use?

What brand did you use?

I can't remember the exact brand. I've since used it up and threw away the can. The cleaner was originally purchased to clean a coffee spill from the keyboard of my ex-wife's laptop. The owner of the electronics store recommended the cleaner at the time. It wasn't cheap..about $15 for a large aerosol can. I do remember "wash" in the name of the product, not the name of the brand.