IGNORED

Hexen: which console version is best?

The N64 version has more of a blurriness, but isn't as choppy as the Saturn version. Out of those two I preferred the N64. Never got to play the PSX version. I remember listening to Beck Odelay and playing the N64 version lol. The N64 version . . . "where it's at" ;)

• Like 1

Sadly I got terribly ill playing Hexen on the n64. It was food poisoning, not anything with motion sickness, but I forever associate it with that feeling and just can't play it again. I'd give it my vote, still.

Edited by omegadot
  • Like 2

I have only played N64 and PS1. N64 version hands down, controls felt better, save anywhere, and there was some kind of multiplayer mode as well, not that I ever got anyone to play that game with me.

I actually had two friends that would play multiplayer with me on N64. It was hard to convince them especially with multiplayer games like GoldenEye and Turok 2 being so much fun. One thing we used to do all the time was to only attack each other in this one room. The bodies would stay on screen after you died. Body sprites would start to stack up on top of each other as we killed each other. It got bad enough where you were basically running through body sprites stacked on top of each other until another player appeared right in front of you. It was a lot of stupid fun. It was also cool to see their dead body glitch up to the top of the other bodies when they died. I wish I had the game still to make a video of this. Lol
  • Like 1

I don't think Hexen works well as a console game, especially because those mid-90s ports aren't very good. It's a PC game all the way, and you can make it prettier though something like Zdoom. http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=25435

It plays fine on the N64, and thus works fine as a console game. Saturn and PS1, it gets a little more complicated and I'll agree with your statement there.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I gave Hexen 64 more than a fair chance. I played through the first few levels. My opinion of Hexen now, in general is that it's just not a very good game. I found the level design very awkward and the puzzles unintuitive (hitting switches with no clue as to what they did). I also didn't appreciate the lack of control modification. Ok Hexen, up on the shelf you go.