IGNORED

Best available joystick for an apple IIGS?

Tonyvdb

That joystick model is poor choice. I rather have CH products over Apple joystick. No, it is not Atari plug. It is opposite , it is male plug , not female plug that is normal for Atari, Commodore, Amiga. That joystick Wico is on Game port, not comfortable to use. Never know , it might broken 1 of those pins unless you are expert enough.

Edited by Caterpiggle

Amiga Joysticks aren't going to work on an Apple II unless you build/buy an adapter. Also, personally, that price tag is way higher than I'd consider.

I think the CH joysticks are probably some of the best joysticks for the Apple II... They're not super large and fit in your hand relatively easily. They're definetly popular.

If you want to buy a NOS joystick that isn't analog for an Apple II,I'd check out this arcade style one here. http://www.amazon.com/Apple-II-Joystick-Ideal-Vintage-Arcade/dp/B00PNPID60/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=atariage&linkId=6214515cef7d278248058dec3fbc002d

I bought one of those.. Half the price than that one you linked, significantly less plastic. weightier. uses the external game port on back rather than the internal one. Nice coiled cord. If parts on it break, I bet it'd be easy enough to replace with new arcade parts

I appologize for the HUGE pictures... I'm in a bit of a hurry.

post-210-0-08036200-1458409246_thumb.jpg

post-210-0-28701900-1458409274_thumb.jpg

post-210-0-13585700-1458409324_thumb.jpg

One of several variations of CH joysticks. Some of them have skinny little pegs while others have this big fat one with the button on top.. some of them have adjustment dials like this one which are easy to set yet not so likely to get bumped during game play(rather important) . Those grey slider switches turn auto centering on and off which can be handy for some games.

post-210-0-36631100-1458419194_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Rockin' Kat
  • Like 1

If you want to buy a NOS joystick that isn't analog for an Apple II,I'd check out this arcade style one here. http://www.amazon.com/Apple-II-Joystick-Ideal-Vintage-Arcade/dp/B00PNPID60/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=atariage&linkId=3da154ccc5b5cd26b4570227a995684f

This looks like a good one, I will give that a try.

Thanks

I've got a Kraft that's my go-to Apple joystick as well. Same style as the TRS-80/Tandy Deluxe and PCjr. joystick (not the Premium III). I think I have some KC3s as well but I've never used them.

I also have a QuickShot something or other that works very well, too.

This looks like a good one, I will give that a try.

Thanks

I sure hope you were one of the people that bought it in the 24 hours after I posted that reply, because if not, you're too late. :-o

Alternatives...

Man.. looking on ebay, not a lot to choose from... also, crap, there are a bunch of Gravis fighter sticks for PC listed as Apple... Keyword spammers. >_<

I'd suggest using Google groups to post a wanted message to comp.sys.apple2.marketplace and checking in with that thread instead of bothering with Amazon or eBay.

And assuming that you didn't manage to buy Ideal brand stick before it sold out, I wouldn't hold out for an arcade stick... I'd just get a CH joystick or if you really want an arcade stick, I'd instead go looking for a Wico Atari to Apple adapter because it'd be relatively easy to build your own arcade stick for use with it.

Edited by Rockin' Kat

I don't know about availability, but for me, the Kraft joysticks work best on the Apple II series. I have a decent range of options for the Apple II, but always stick with the Kraft.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01592B4Z8/sr=1-1/qid=1458587366/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1458587366&sr=1-1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kraft-KC3-Joystick-Apple-IIC-IIE-IIgs-IBM-PC-XT-AC-PC2-Vintage-Joystick-/182057313338?hash=item2a6376243a:g:rxgAAOSwh-1W6jqL

Edited by Rockin' Kat

If you've got an analog PC gameport (15 pin) joystick you're satisfied with, it isn't terribly hard (*) to make an adapter that will connect a PC joystick or two to your Apple, whether it is an earlier model with a motherboard socket, or a later model with an external connector.

(*) Given that you follow the build instructions as written instead of assuming they contain typos which they don't...

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Amiga Joysticks aren't going to work on an Apple II unless you build/buy an adapter. Also, personally, that price tag is way higher than I'd consider.

I think the CH joysticks are probably some of the best joysticks for the Apple II... They're not super large and fit in your hand relatively easily. They're definetly popular.

If you want to buy a NOS joystick that isn't analog for an Apple II,I'd check out this arcade style one here. http://www.amazon.com/Apple-II-Joystick-Ideal-Vintage-Arcade/dp/B00PNPID60/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=atariage&linkId=6214515cef7d278248058dec3fbc002d

I bought one of those.. Half the price than that one you linked, significantly less plastic. weightier. uses the external game port on back rather than the internal one. Nice coiled cord. If parts on it break, I bet it'd be easy enough to replace with new arcade parts

I appologize for the HUGE pictures... I'm in a bit of a hurry.

Well, it seems the joystick is lost by Fedex and the seller is trying to find out what happened to it. I did not leave the Michigan Fedex location. It sucks because it was the last one he had :(

So my search continues for a good Apple joystick.

I put together one of Quinn Dunki's Joysticks for my //c and it took just a couple of hours to put together and worked a charm, and can be made from fairly much any old analog stick if you have a parts bin of old capacitors. I put some caps in parallel to make the right values.

If one of the comments above is correct, it will work with a GS?

From my memory, I'm pretty sure the //e, //c and IIgs all take the same sticks.

Any Apple II joystick works on any Apple II. The only difference is some are the motherboard connector and some are the external connector. You can buy adapters to go either way.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...