IGNORED

Pocket Atari - lovablechevy's Flashback 2 in a 2600 cart

lovablechevy

completed March 15, 2016

so, the Pocket Atari was actually my 2nd planned project, fully planned out between 8-9 years ago by now. lol! i'm just now finally getting it finished.

the Pocket Atari is an Atari Flashback 2 inside of a standard Atari 2600 cart, with controls, batteries, screen, and speaker. it is THE smallest portable i own, and literally fits in a pocket. hence the name.

it was a very challenging project for me. there was no painting, no bondo/filler/ABS/epoxy. i couldn't hide my flaws. i had to make perfect cuts. the internals also had to be wires of exact length and placed extremely well. this was a very very very space specific project. you'll be able to see from my very first picture here (my blueprint) just how detailed my planning has been for this. i didn't even want to attempt it till i knew, on paper, it was even remotely possible.

i was told years ago by the longhorn engineer that it's not possible. he attempted this project himself. well, i have now successfully proved him wrong. ;)

61%20-%20front%20on_zpszfw3j0y3.jpg
62%20-%20front_zpssw7beotu.jpg
63%20-%20label_zpsytxviqfv.jpg
64%20-%20top%20label_zpscrhzfd71.jpg
65%20-%20brightness%20and%20color_zpszly
66%20-%20bottom%20jacks_zps8jvh8zjw.jpg
67%20-%20volume_zpsnlflzi2a.jpg
68%20-%20angle_zpsnicgtrfo.jpg
69%20-%20angle_zpsgyyyol1z.jpg
70%20-%20paddle_zpspuclfocw.jpg
71%20-%20nearly%20stock%20looking_zpsflq
72%20-%20nearly%20stock_zpsedxvdz7o.jpg
73%20-%20final_zps8940wep4.jpg

specs:
system – Atari Flashback 2
screen - 2.5" "zate" screen with audio amp
power – 2 3.7v li-ion 700 mAh batteries (3.5 hours at full vol)
case – frankencased Atari 2600 cart
controller – buttons are from a wii controller board is from a Super Joy III controller
random tidbits – case has custom made sticker, custom single player paddle port, and difficulty switch

please feel free to visit my facebook page to see all pictures taken during the process. :)

a few measurements of the system:
weight of portable – 4.6 ounces
thickness – 13/16"
height – 3 13/16”
length – 3 3/16”

this project took me exactly 4 weeks over the course of 8 streaming sessions. i am so very glad to have it finally finished! this one has been a very long time coming.

Edited by lovablechevy
  • Like 20

i have gotten so many requests for this to be purchasable, that i'm doing a few different things.

first, i *think* i may have a few more screens that will work kicking around in my parts bin. i'm gonna go through all my stuff this weekend and see what i can find.

also, i've been linked to a pretty cheap 2.5" screen. unfortunately, it doesn't have built in audio amp. but, i'm gonna purchase one and see if i can manage to still squeeze everything in. if i can, we'll be in business.

for those asking how much it'll be, i would charge $100 for my labor plus parts. it would most likely land in the $200-$250 range.

i'll keep you guys updated. :)

ok, guys. i did a price break out of what it should cost to build one of these.

for those interested in owning one, i am curious if the price point i've come up with, for all parts and my labor, will interest any of you.

now, this isn't saying i'm taking orders right now. i'm trying to see how much interest there is before i just go out of my way to start sourcing parts and waste my time. ;)

standard Pocket Atari - $175 shipped (overseas will have to pay shipping)

Pocket Atari + single player paddle controller - $200 shipped (overseas will have to pay shipping)

let me know, guys!

Edited by lovablechevy

ok, guys. i did a price break out of what it should cost to build one of these.

for those interested in owning one, i am curious if the price point i've come up with, for all parts and my labor, will interest any of you.

now, this isn't saying i'm taking orders right now. i'm trying to see how much interest there is before i just go out of my way to start sourcing parts and waste my time. ;)

standard Pocket Atari - $175 shipped (overseas will have to pay shipping)

Pocket Atari + single player paddle controller - $200 shipped (overseas will have to pay shipping)

let me know, guys!

If the finished product would be identical (or close) to the one in your video, I would definitely be interested in purchasing.

Edited by Hitachi

If the finished product would be identical (or close) to the one in your video, I would definitely be interested in purchasing.

yes, the finished product would look pretty much identical. the idea is to let you choose the button colors from a list that i can provide. the name on the label would then be changed to match what color buttons you chose. the internals may vary slightly, but that wouldn't effect functionality or the aesthetics of the outside. :) obviously, if one didn't want the external single player paddle controller, then that port would not be included.

oh, i also meant to mention, one can reduce the initial price if you have a spare flashback 2 (it has to be a flashback 2), you can send it to me and have the cost of that part removed. i'm finding that's around the $15 range.

Edited by lovablechevy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So i have found i have 3 potential screens, 2 sets of buttons, and 1 flashback 2 in my inventory. Will probably start building 2 of them, then end up first come, first gets. The buttons i have are a blue set and a red set. Cost will be $175 with no paddle controller, $200 for paddle controller. Contact me if interested.

What connector did you use for the paddle? I was trying to find something small enough so I could make my Atari joystick keychain portable again.

it's a micro usb. it won't work for the joystick. it only has max of 5 pins. joystick needs 6.

So i have found i have 3 potential screens, 2 sets of buttons, and 1 flashback 2 in my inventory. Will probably start building 2 of them, then end up first come, first gets. The buttons i have are a blue set and a red set. Cost will be $175 with no paddle controller, $200 for paddle controller. Contact me if interested.

it's a micro usb. it won't work for the joystick. it only has max of 5 pins. joystick needs 6.

I haven't messed with micro usb to this depth so this might be entirely stupid, but would it be possible to cheat and use the shield as the 6th conductor?

If you're using micro male-to-male cable and the shield is electrically separate from all of the other conductors it should work. It's not like you're running any real high frequency data signals through the thing. Maybe use the shield for the ground and run the 5 direction/button signals on the 5 conductors.