IGNORED

Just saw the CDi controller...

doctorclu

CDi wasn't a video game system, it was a multi-media system that ALSO ran games, hence the pads to buy as extra if you were like into playing ordinary games... next to all the multi-media-ing, like getting informed... before the Internet was all over the place... or spinning a Compact Disk, watching Video CD:s or something else from the future.

Again, it wasn't a "Ultra Nintendo" for only playing games on CD, and maybe why Nintendo dropped off the deal... the multi-media machine didn't work until iPhone/Pad etc. Philips was be4 its time, had the cash to pump into this - back then - non working concept.

For some fun perspective:

Edited by Atlantis

Comparing something that says "CD Controller" on it to the Jag controller is like saying the remote control for my TV sucks for games, so the Jag's isn't so bad.

In all fairness it says "CDi controller" .... but I agree with the general feeling.

Insufficient research and a poor conclusion to make one "feel good" about the Jag controller.

[which is not a disaster but far from ideal, yeah Coleco, INTV and the CDi non gaming controllers are worse imho, I believe even the Wii Remote is not exactly something I'll remember fondly, it was fun for the right games but as the main controller for the console I think it was piss poor]

• Like 1

In all fairness it says "CDi controller" .... but I agree with the general feeling.

Insufficient research and a poor conclusion to make one feel good about the Jag controller.

Good catch. But yeah, the thing has play, pause, track skip buttons and even a TV/CDi button. Hardly to be considered a gaming controller, especially when as mentioned the CD-i did actually have dedicated gaming pads.

Checking the CDi on wiki it appears the model the local video game store had turned in was a educational model of the CDi?

"The CD-i player 400 series, which includes the 450, 470, 490 models. The 400 models are slimmed-down units aimed at console and educational markets. The CD-i 450 player, for instance, is a budget model designed to compete with game consoles. In this version, an infrared remote controller is not standard but optional."

Possible. The games with it were two different Zelda games which were horrible and a few other odd titles. But that was the only controller that was with it. We got a good laugh out of trying to play it.

Edited by doctorclu

Let's not forget how great the Jag controller is in comparison to the crappy PS2 controller. I could never beat any games with this thing:

419NE%2BOpSrL.jpg

Equally interesting. Did a model of the Playstation 2 only come with that controller?

we're all forgetting one thing: even the shitty CD-i controllers cost a fucking fortune

Do they? (they are listed at 30Eur/20Eur)

http://www.press-startgames.com/c-3103196/cd-i-accessoires/

(but I know what you mean, I think I spent 50US$ for one a couple of years ago during the height of my collecting and a lot more for the gun [something like 80US$ for the Mad Dog McCree gun-package] .. which is still nothing compared to what a Jag Pro controller costs)

Equally interesting. Did a model of the Playstation 2 only come with that controller?

And now we're back at "pretending" we did our leg work ... so here you go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSX_(video_game_console)

"The PSX is not supplied with any game controllers, but there are two controller ports on the back of the device"

Please let's admit we didn't do due diligence and move on .... it's ok, we don't need to all be right all at the same time all the time.

The Philips CDi 450 had a dreadful wired controller like the 22ER9019 but the Magnavox CDi 550 had the very nice 22ER9021.

The point being that likely the gaming controller was mostly optional in CDi land given the edutainment nature of the machine, so there's no right or wrong.

And the std Jag Controller stays not too good.

The CDi has other issues in that any controller is actually a serial device ... sigh.

And for the record, I think the "LOL Jag controller sux" stuff has been overblown. Yeah, it was a 3 button controller released when 6 buttons were pretty much standard, the keypad is questionable at best, but it's far from the worst ever.

• Like 5

And for the record, I think the "LOL Jag controller sux" stuff has been overblown. Yeah, it was a 3 button controller released when 6 buttons were pretty much standard, the keypad is questionable at best, but it's far from the worst ever.

But also to be fair once you compare it to SNES, MD, NeoGeo CD, Saturn, PS1 and N64 controllers it is at the bottom (I still don't really like the N64 controller much) .... even the DC controller was better (and I don't particularly like it for lack of ergonomics).

If you extend the selection then the CD32 controller was not good, the FM Towns Marty was a let down imho and so on.

[notice how I stayed within consoles from the 90s + sega MD which are contemporary of the Jag]

Again no, the Jag controller is not the worst in absolute but it is pretty down the list (it does beat many 8bits controllers if that makes anyone feel better).

And yes, the Jag controller beats all the CDi non gaming controllers for sure.

For sure, it's by no means a great controller. You do bring up a good point though, there are much worse controllers (INTV, 5200, 7800) but yeah in the 90's there wasn't anything mainstream that was as poor as the Jag's. It's all part of the quirkiness that makes the Jaguar so intriguing.

• Like 3

"The CD-i player 400 series, which includes the 450, 470, 490 models. The 400 models are slimmed-down units aimed at console and educational markets. The CD-i 450 player, for instance, is a budget model designed to compete with game consoles. In this version, an infrared remote controller is not standard but optional."

Possible. The games with it were two different Zelda games which were horrible and a few other odd titles. But that was the only controller that was with it. We got a good laugh out of trying to play it.

The series of models you mention were suppose to sell towards institutions, like when you sitt and wait for your dentist you could play/educate yourself with this model in the waiting room or the likes.

Then you had models that looked like VHS for living rooms. All models came with the "remote control" looking thing, in one out of two models of remote controls. Later models had a heavier and slimmer remote control, the "Commander". I have it: http://www.philipscdi.com/controllers.htm

Not even when they did the late 450 model that were supposed to look like an ordinary video game system did they include a gamepad, instead you got a remote control without IR with a long lead instead. Can you believe it?

Edited by Atlantis
  • Like 1

Not even when they did the late 450 model that were supposed to look like an ordinary video game system did they include a gamepad, instead you got a remote control without IR with a long lead instead. Can you believe it?

They fixed that particular blunder in US via Magnavox.

http://faberp.tripod.com/CD-IREG.htm

"In the US there were two models based on this design called Magnavox CDI 450 and Magnavox CDI 550: they were sold with a "real" joypad (sold also in Europe as an optional controller called Game Pad 22ER 9021)."

Finally how this CDi talk has anything to do with the Jag Pad is beyond me ..... if the game is "find a worse controller than the Atari Jag controller" then Atari 7800 Pro-line joystick, Atari 5200 controller, CV controller, INTV controller, WiiMote + Nunjuck (for "normal" games, as it works quite well for games designed for its usage like Wii Sports etc...), heck I hate the SMS pad [too stiff and not precise], I didn't like the 3DO controller (mushy, daisy chain etc... slightly better than the Jag Pad imho) and so on.

But in the 90s I am afraid the Jag was right there with the worst of the bunch.

[And to find that we need to include CDTV, CD32, Apple Pippin, Bandai Playdia, Tandy VIS, which is by no mean such a good company]

As you already reported above:

CDi wasn't a video game system, it was a multi-media system that ALSO ran games, hence the pads to buy as extra if you were like into playing ordinary games... next to all the multi-media-ing, like getting informed... before the Internet was all over the place... or spinning a Compact Disk, watching Video CDs or something else from the future.