IGNORED

Flash ROM Cart

ralphb

I wonder who's going to be the first one to make a 3D printed cartridge shell for this beauty?

You fishing, mate? ;) Anyway, it looks like it would fit a Romox cart. Would be cool to see it fit in a regular TI cart.

I've just ordered this fantastic piece of kit for my TI. Well done to Ralph and the other guys who helped out in the design and build. What's come out for our beloved machine over the last couple of years has been amazing and long may it continue! Can't wait to get my hands on the kit - then I've got to buy the remaining parts and assemble it. Great fun!

I was wondering if we could get a authoritative post of the .hex file to flash to the atmel 8515 so someone assembling this doesn't have to install 3 otherwise unnecessary tool chains?

It would make life easier, and I have to imagine it exists already :)

-M@

• Like 1

Most certainly, Matt. I opted not to include the HEX file in the repo in order to not encourage rip-off artists running straight to ebay. It remains to be seen how well that works. :)

But I'm including the HEX file with every PCB I send out, and if you do the PCB yourself just send me a note and I'll mail you a copy. (Which, in your case, I just did.)
  • Like 4

Ralph,

I have a quick technical inquiry about the cartridge. Besides reading & loading programs, does the cartridge also support writes to the cartridge from the TI? Say instead of "DSK1" or "HDX1", instead have something like "SD1"?

No, that is not possible; at the very least you'd need a DSR somewhere, and there isn't.

What you could do in theory is that you make it RAM instead of ROM (and add a "dump RAM to SD card" button), but this would interfere with the bank switching, and there's absolutely no existing software for such a cart.

• Like 1

In support of this awesome little gadget, what might be necessary is a place where one could download a 'MegaZip' of .BIN images to get started with, or have a large listing of files where they could pick and choose what they want... and a few messages telling them how to get there.

I believe a lot of Newbies are going to want one of these, and they probably have no clue about .BIN images or where the heck to hunt them down. Making it easy on them, while they are getting started will encourage word of mouth to their friends on how easy to use this thing is. I honestly believe this single device has the potential to bring more people into the TI world this year than the last five years combined. Making it easy is key.

There are also people who are very short on time, or even downright lazy, that cannot, or do not, want to hunt down all the files they would really like to play with.

• Like 3