IGNORED

Flash ROM Cart

ralphb

I just sent an email query about a pre-assembled version or complete kit. I also second the desire for known working/compatible sets of 171 image file packs. Easier said than done, of course.

I did the same and am waiting to hear back. I'm fine with building a kit if all of the parts are supplied.

Yeah, no kidding right? I wonder if they'll show up on Ebait now at drastically inflated prices?

I'm just not interested in paying $124.95 + shipping for a sealed Henpecked cartridge!

...but you could resell the blank cartridge, the foil of the box, the manual, and the empty box with a Copy Of Manual :grin:

• Like 1

Yeah, no kidding right? I wonder if they'll show up on Ebait now at drastically inflated prices?

I'm just not interested in paying $124.95 + shipping for a sealed Henpecked cartridge!

Good to know, now the question is where to find such ROMOX carts. ;)

Yes, right, Romox cartridges are pretty rare anyway :P

i also tested standard TI cartridge case for this flashrom99 ... it could fit... not so perfect but it could.

post-24673-0-82144200-1464473987_thumb.jpg post-24673-0-63206300-1464473974_thumb.jpg post-24673-0-26032500-1464473964_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I was looking for a case for my new FlashROM 99 cart and as the case used for old „Romox“ carts should work fine, I was even thinking for a minute if I should destroy the only Romox cart I own, but then I decided to go for a quick & dirty „hack“ solution and I used an original classic TI cart instead.

It didn´t need to look perfect as I wanted to use only parts I had already at home. The bigges problem with my hack here is that I used superglue to keep the 2 parts oft the case together, as I had no better idea how to do that, so the huge downside of that solution here is, that I need to crack open the case if I ever need to fix something or upgrade the cart.

post-26204-0-22950500-1464519662_thumb.jpg

post-26204-0-54056000-1464519669_thumb.jpg

post-26204-0-93390400-1464519678_thumb.jpg

post-26204-0-60156800-1464519685_thumb.jpg

post-26204-0-74437900-1464519693_thumb.jpg

post-26204-0-70955400-1464519700_thumb.jpg

post-26204-0-52888500-1464519706_thumb.jpg

post-26204-0-44301800-1464519714_thumb.jpg

post-26204-0-99384400-1464519720_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

... but then I decided to go for a quick & dirty „hack“ solution

Nice post Roli, the original cartridge appears to function better than I thought it would, I don't think I could bring myself to use super glue on a button extender though. I'm gong to hold out for a couple of months and see what develops as this cartridge just screams, "Hey, 3D printed case here!" There appears to be a market for one too, because if you look at the recent poll (at the time of this post) 25.71% of respondents already own one, with another 34.29% saying they plan to buy one within the next 6 months. That's 60% of the T.I. community here at A.A. I might add those are incredible numbers for such a short amount of time.

• Like 1

I had so many retro computer and retro gaming related devices that screamed for 3D printed cases, but they usually never showed up. And when they did, they were ugly as hell, expensive, or didn´t really fit that well.

Well let´s hope that here it will be different, also still would be interested in a nice looking solution.

Edited by vectrexroli
  • Like 1

Just Ralph an email and he's quick to respond. Looking to get the kit as he said he is backlogged on a complete assembled cart. Other than the resistors, ICs and caps (since I can see the arrangement on the pic), I hope I don't place the LED and switch the wrong way.

Is anyone who's building their own, using alternative switches?

I've anyone looking at a microsd slot instead of the standard sd? The ones I've seen, don't seem to have the 5V->3.3V regulator on them... It might fit in a standard cart shell more readily.

As for orienting the LED, the square pad on the pcboard coresponds to the flat spot on most LEDs (at least that is the convention). The LED outline on the pcboard also has that flat spot, but it is sort of obscured by the pad.

-M@

I was looking for a case for my new FlashROM 99 cart and as the case used for old „Romox“ carts should work fine, I was even thinking for a minute if I should destroy the only Romox cart I own, but then I decided to go for a quick & dirty „hack“ solution and I used an original classic TI cart instead.

It didn´t need to look perfect as I wanted to use only parts I had already at home. The bigges problem with my hack here is that I used superglue to keep the 2 parts oft the case together, as I had no better idea how to do that, so the huge downside of that solution here is, that I need to crack open the case if I ever need to fix something or upgrade the cart.

That reminds me of the good-ol-days when I used to use a soldering iron as a drill.

-M@

• Like 2

As for orienting the LED, the square pad on the pcboard coresponds to the flat spot on most LEDs (at least that is the convention). The LED outline on the pcboard also has that flat spot, but it is sort of obscured by the pad.

-M@

Tks. Just ordered my kit.

The thing I don't like about the holidays.... NO MAIL DELIVERY ON MONDAY!

My FlashROM 99 is just sitting somewhere waiting for Tuesday.

could be worse, I just made my payment today so who knows how long it will take to arrive!

Plus how long did you wait for a product like this to be developed :)

Edited by evg2000
  • Like 1

Plus how long did you wait for a product like this to be developed :)

Only about 3 1/2 years actually. Back in the day, this was just too far out there for anything other than fantasy. I don't even recall memory cards like the CF or SD card until the early 2000's. But I'll tell ya, after I got back into the TI, it sure didn't take a rocket scientist to know the two would go together like milk & cookies. Considering the overwhelming response, I think we may have a contender, if not outright winner for next years Jim Peterson Award.