IGNORED

Flash ROM Cart

ralphb

I noticed last night that my FR99 was indicating an error frequently after selecting a game from the menu. It sits in a Navarone 3-in-one cartridge selector as (1), with a 512k red cart in (2), and usually an Editor Assembler in (3) but I put a TI Invaders cart in (3) a few days ago.

Removed the TI Invaders cart and all is well. This is a long thread and I am far too lazy to go through every page looking after a search for "Navarone" turned up nothing relevant. In short, if you are using one of these cartridge switchers and you have problems with your FR99, it may be best to just not use the Navarone or continue with trial-by-error understanding that if your FR99 freaks out it is most likely because of one of the other carts.

I have successfully been running 2 FR99's in the Navarone expander for quite a while. I think all of the modern ROM only carts get along fine. I've tried 2 FR99's and TI-Invaders, and didn't seen any problem with either FR99 or TI-Invaders... Is this intermittent for you? 3/5? 3/10?

-M@

No idea how the Navarone actually works ... Don't they switch -5V (instead of +5V)? Does TI Invaders plus any Atarisoft work for you?

Now you're going to make me take the expander apart... http://www.unige.ch/medecine/nouspikel/ti99/widget.htm, luckily the internet is faster than a screwdriver.

Theory's doc says the ROMs are switched using the ROM Select, but yes +5v is not switched. So if a cart doesn't pay attention to pin 34, you're gonna have a conflict.

I wonder if the mixed Grom/ROM carts from TI don't decode this?

-M@

• 2 months later...

Hello Guys :)

today i powered on my 99/8 because it asked to me wanted to try the flashROM 99, so i tried and it is working.

all standard old games starts.

just some problems with recent games like Pitfall freeze after the intro title or Sometimes99er games freeze on the title screen too

the MegaDemo freeze after the DEMO menu

post-24673-0-15858100-1486480522_thumb.jpg

but FR99 works ! my 99/8 computer was right to want to try :P

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Hello Guys :)

today i powered on my 99/8 because it asked to me wanted to try the flashROM 99, so i tried and it is working.

Wow, I've never seen a 99/8 in action before. That power button is kind of funky looking. Are there any good pages of 99/8 info?

If you want to play at bit with it, you can use the 99/8 emulation in MAME (probably more complete than any real iron :-) ). Just to get an idea. ROMs are on WHTech.

(And maybe there'll be a Hexbus floppy emulation in foreseeable future.)

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I was able to get a FLASHROM99, BUT it doesn't appear that I can get Turboforth to be placed on it? unless someone can point that out to me..So, I'm looking to find a Turboforth Cart. Unless a regular Supercart can be used. IF so, how can I put that together? OR do I have to build (preferably someone else) a special cart? thanks for helping me figure it all out.

Mike

Edited by GDMike

Turboforth works from the FinalGrom which is the successor to the Flashrom. I don't have a Flashrom, so I can't help you out there. If it's possible, the regulars here will be very quick to respond! I'm pretty sure you need the 32k expansion as well.

Edited by DuaneAL

TurboForth should run on either board, as it is not larger than 32K. You do have to make sure you are using a non-inverted version of the ROM image however. The image as released was set up for a Guidry Board, which needs the banks to be in inverted order, while the FlashROM and FinalGROM both require non-inverted bank images. There is a tool out there from Rasmus to switch ROM images between inverted and non-inverted format.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello, I just built my first board. I'm very excited a new TI user to try this out. After building the board, I went to look at the software DOCs. I had assumed that there was some H E X file that I would load into my TL866A EEPROM burner, drop in the ATMega, burn, and then pop it into the board and I was good to go. So I was surprised when I read the docs and it got into installing Python, a compiler, etc etc. Yikes, beyond my pay grade. lol.

I see that Ralph posted back on 08 Jul 2016 the actual H E X file. Is the H E X file he posted the latest version? If not, would someone be willing to send me it?

Going back to the original docs, there were steps to do for the files in /avr and /ti. Does this H E X contain both steps?

Since I am using my TL866A programmer, I am confused by the following since I am not using AVRDUDE:

Additionally, you need to program the lower fuse bits of the 8515 so that it runs at 8 MHz:

<snip>

There was a post on the TL866A way back with a screen shot that I was going to use.

Summary: My board is built, I have a TL866A, I'm not saving with the instructions on the software side, what are the 'idiot proof' steps now?

THANK YOU!

You're right about the cap. And here's the "official" HEX file, but if the banktest is working, your 8515 should be fine.