IGNORED

Replacement Mylars for the Atari 1200XL keyboard

Bill Lange

Yeah... I have ordered one too. I have one 1200XL myself, and I still have to make this a PAL machine. The keyboard is not so good, so with this new mylar this might become a very nice machine.

With FJC more than excellent U1MB Bios and PBI driver this is a good candidate for a SIDE2 HD system.

The type 4 keyboard has the same issue. Are there any plans for a Mylar replacement as well?

I've managed to repair several broken connections using thin cut strips of adhesive copper tape but looking ahead, I think it's going to get worse over time.

Edited by shoestring

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I'll be ordering one of these, myself. I just picked up a 1200xl and a bunch of other goodies from an estate sale for $100. The computer passed all tests and is in pristine-looking condition, but 90% of the keys don't work. I'm going to start by just cleaning the mylar up, but from what I'm reading, that's probably not going to do the trick.

God bless Atariage and Best Electronics! :)

I got my mylars from Best today. They work great and are real pretty too! I am very pleased with the result. There's a little tab of padding on the back that goes across the interface fingers. I think it helps press the contacts of the mylar and the PCB together.

Hooray for new parts for the 1200XL!

Edited by Smokeless Joe
  • Like 3

I got my mylars from Best today. They work great and are real pretty too! I am very pleased with the result. There's a little tab of padding on the back that goes across the interface fingers. I think it helps press the contacts of the mylar and the PCB together.

Hooray for new parts for the 1200XL!

How long did it take to get the replacements from Best? I just took mine apart and cleaned up the contacts (temporary fix at best, assuming it even works.) Looking forward to playing with my new toy. :)

I paid on Tuesday and they arrived today (Friday). Pretty quick! I didn't order much else, so that probably helped.

Awesome! Thanks for the info

Ok, so I took it all apart. I peeled off the mylar as best I could. I cleaned off all the connectors (both on the mylar and on the green PCB) with alcohol and a Q-Tip. I put it all back together and SUCCESS! Every key is working. Now, I know this is only a temp fix at best, but a new problem cropped up:

When I turn it on, the power LED does not light up anymore. The computer passed all its tests, but the LEDs are no longer lighting up. What should I look for?