Bixler

Console Battle!  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer, and why?

• Wii
    • Gamecube

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Do you prefer the Wii, or the Gamecube?

I personally prefer the Wii because I find myself enjoying more titles in its library, but I absolutely cannot disregard some of the absolute classics that were on the Gamecube – Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, F-Zero GX, Mario Kart Double Dash, LoZ Windwaker, and Mario Gold Toadstool Tour, just to name a few. I've begun picking up classic Gamecube games for nostalgic reasons, but my Gamecube collection will most likely never even be half of my Wii collection quantity-wise. I also enjoy the Wii's motion controls in varying degrees, and I've heard many absolutely loathe that aspect of the Wii. *shrugs*

How about you?

• Like 1

I voted for the Wii. I thought it was revolutionary and innovative when it came out, especially the motion controls. I got mine in 2009 trading the Xbox 360 for it and a decision I never regretted in the first place since I have a PS3 and tired of going through 4 360's in a 3 year period. I was hooked on Wii Sports for so long I could never put the remote down. I personally think they have a lot of great titles and family oriented games young and old. Also you can of course play Game Cube games, download games from Virtual Console, and a good system to soft mod.

• Like 2

Gamecube got better third-party support.

Wii had better first-party games.

Gamecube had the GB Player.

Wii had the VC.

Gamecube had real controllers.

Wii was wireless by default.

Gamecube had a smaller, but more sensible storage system.

Wii had cheap component cables.

Gamecube was more travel-friendly.

Wii was a better party system.

... this is really tough.

• Like 1

I voted gamecube:

- Super Mario Sunshine (Somehow I had more fun then I had with Galaxy, though Galaxy was nice and policed etc, but too many short levels to me)

- Zelda Twilight Princess with normal controls (I prefer joysticks, but I read TP was made for the gamecube first, which could explain why the joystick works better with this game?)

- Zelda Windwaker. (My all time favorite Zelda game)

- My kids prefer the Gamecube controller.

- Metal Gear, Metroid, Resident Evil's :)

- Batteries of the wavebird controller last very long.

- Built to last.

• Like 2

Wii for me. The first-party titles that are continuations of existing franchises are better in my eyes (Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, for instance) and the new reboots are great (Punch-Out, NSMB Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns, etc). Anything else on the Game Cube that didn't see a port or a continuation, I can just play via the backwards compatibility, with the original controllers and memory cards and all. The only reason I keep the Game Cube hooked up alongside the Wii is for the Game Boy Player.

• Like 1

This is a tough one. The two consoles complement each other well. GameCube can play every Zelda game up to Twilight Princess, including all GameBoy incarnations with the GB Player. Wii has the better Mario games (sorry, Sunshine, but Galaxy is more fun). Both can play Metroid Prime with equal awesomeness but I give the nod to GameCube for the excellent title music, which Trilogy sadly lacks. I do have a larger Wii library than I do a GameCube library so I suppose that counts for something. On the other hand, I haven't had to replace a GameCube due to hardware failure. Yes, Nintendo, I'm still a little bitter about losing the Virtual Console games I bought.

Wii

-------------------

Version 1 Plays GC

Version 1 can use GC controllers

Easy to soft mod including using emulators and using hard drive backups

Can install gameboy emulators if you are not a purist

Cabling is a lot cheaper then GC

GC

-------------------

Can use Gameboy player

GC games are supposedly cleaner then on the Wii if you use the 200+ dollar Composite Cables

https://socksfelloff.wordpress.com/2015/03/15/gamecube-vs-nintendont-vs-wii/

I said GCN because anytime I have to pick up a wiimote I'd prefer almost anything else. I get that the Wii is very technically superior in many ways and has a superset of the GCN library, but eh. I love popping in the little disc, hitting power and just using that wonderful controller with no other stuff in my way. Just added Rogue Leader 2 back to my collection and it's wonderful.

• Like 3

Gamecube had much better 3rd party support, and IMHO the 1st & 2nd party offerings were a bit better (see this list). I really enjoyed the system, there was a lot of great stuff. I love that you turn the system on and the games just run, without having to click through a legalese 'warning' screen. The GameCube controller is also the most comfortable controller ever, even though it's not ideal for some games. It melts into your hand like a stick of warm butter.

The Wii had the virtual console and plays Gamecube games. The Wii also had a lot of fun, under-the-radar games like Order Up and Deadspace: Extraction. It also has the best home gun game ever: Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles.

Tough choice. If you factor in backwards compatibility and VC, I'd go with the Wii. If you look only at each console's native library I'd go GameCube.

My 2c:

Metroid Prime: Corruption is the best of the three. Advantage Wii

Paper Mario 1000 Year Door beats the crap out of Super Paper Mario. Advantage GameCube

Zelda: the 'cube has Windwaker and Four Swords, as well as the N64 compilations. Advantage GameCube

Mario Galaxy 1&2 vs. Mario Sunshine & Luigi's Mansion. I wasn't a huge fan of any of these, to be honest, but at least I played Sunshine through to the end. Luigi's Mansion was awesome. Advantage GameCube

Wave Race Blue Storm & 1080 Avalanche vs. Excite Trucks 1&2. Advantage GameCube

Mario Kart: I haven't played the Wii version, but I wasn't a huge fan of Double Dash. No vote.

Animal Crossing: I absolutely loved it on the 'Cube, but didn't play City Folk. No vote.
Pikmin 1&2 vs. Pikmin 3. I haven't played any but the original. No vote.
Edited by BydoEmpire

I've said it before, but I'll say it again; the GameCube is my all-time favourite console, period. I loved the form factor, the controllers, the games, the memory cards, the startup sound, everything about it. The Wii was great and all, and I had fun with it, but I always ended up going back to the 'Cube. The flawless Metroid Prime 1+2, Wind Waker, Paper Mario 1000 Year Door, Mario Sunshine, Animal Crossing, Vexx, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, Chibi Robo, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Mario Kart Double Dash, Smash Bros. Melee, Mario Golf, and so on.

I am completely biased when it comes to this kind of showdown, but the GC wins for me hands-down every time.

• Like 4

I would personally have to say the Wii was my system of choice, even though that was a tough poll to decide in. Both have their advantages, but the Wii edged out for me due to the motion controls and the games (Super Mario Galaxy comes first and foremost to my mind). I still have a Gamecube, though, but no Wii. For some odd and ridiculous reason, I got rid of it years back for an Xbox 360. However, if the opportunity presents itself, I will own a Wii again. They're getting cheaper by the year, so perhaps by Christmas I can get the system and some of my favorite games for it once more.

Hmmm... This is a tough one! They both play GameCube games, so I suppose the decision really comes down to whether I prefer Wii games or the Game Boy/Color/Advance games that the GameCube's Game Boy Player gives the ability to play. Choosing between a slew of phenomenal light gun games + Ōkami (easily one of my all time favorite games) and all the Game Boy classics that I grew up with is no easy task, but at the end of the day I think nostalgia wins out for me. I went with GameCube. :)

Edited by Jin

Thanks to the Game Boy Player, this is a tough one.

On the merits of their individual software libraries, I would however select the Wii. Many of Nintendo's 1st party efforts somewhat disappointed me on the GameCube where as they had a better track record on the Wii.. And several of its notable classics that I did love have seen superior ports to subsequent Nintendo consoles. And I largely stuck with the Xbox for multiplatform releases.

Too bad that there wasn't a Wii USB adapter created for the Game Boy Player. I always thought that it would be especially nice if such a thing existed, if you had the option to pair it with a downloadable app in place of the GCN boot disc. Then you'd have added convenience, the ability to utilize Wii accessories as well as GameCube controllers, and a cheap 480p component cable option.

Having to swap discs was the only annoyance I had with the Game Boy Player, although hardly an issue these days. Anyone still enjoying such a setup can easily have a dedicated Game Boy Player at this point and a GCN doesn't take up much space (I play GCN games on my Wii and leave the boot disc in my GCN full-time).

Edited by Atariboy