IGNORED

MYSTIC CASTLE by Intelligentvision now available - ROM

Rev

I remember a hacked ROM of this that had the 1st level changed so the time you had to slay the dragon was much longer. However levels 2 & 3 were the same as the original game. Can anyone confirm if the "slay time" has been increased for all three levels on this new version?

I remember a hacked ROM of this that had the 1st level changed so the time you had to slay the dragon was much longer. However levels 2 & 3 were the same as the original game. Can anyone confirm if the "slay time" has been increased for all three levels on this new version?

I am not sure about the "slay time" to catch the Dragon, but the player control to catch him moves faster, making it possible to catch the Dragon and whatever you chase on other levels.

I gotta check something else out........two of the objects you pick up for power ups were switched out for different objects.

@wolfy62 got a couple details incorrect: There were two object changes from Thunder Castle.

Thunder Castle: Candlestick, Mystic Castle: Heart -- grants extra life.

Thunder Castle: Comb, Mystic Castle: Cross Bones -- cuts your score in half.

None of the other objects have changed (I believe). I really like these two changes. Heart and cross bones definitely indicate life and penalty today.

@wolfy62 got a couple details incorrect: There were two object changes from Thunder Castle.

Thunder Castle: Candlestick, Mystic Castle: Heart -- grants extra life.

Thunder Castle: Comb, Mystic Castle: Cross Bones -- cuts your score in half.

None of the other objects have changed (I believe). I really like these two changes. Heart and cross bones definitely indicate life and penalty today.

Thank you Rick! :)

The other major change is the level select option which did not exist before. I appreciate your help and input! :thumbsup:

I think we asked the developer about that - the comb represents vanity! :)

Kinda funny - there aren't any penalties for greed (picking up points-only treasures) or out-right killing of dragons, wizards, or demons! :) Although, if you're in the mind-set of penalizing vanity, I'm guessing you'd look the other way at the killing of a few demons...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Rick Reynolds
  • Like 3

I just got the ROM and after one play through I really like what I see. Thunder castle is one of my favorite games on the system but like most people I find it very difficult. I really like the four difficulty levels in this game. I tried the easiest level and got significantly further than I ever have. I like that I can work my way into the more difficult levels. I definitely found it more fun than the original. Thanks David, nice job!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm confused about the comments here. From what I read on the BSR page, the game was in development hell for quite some time and passed on until almost an entire year afterwards; and later released by INTV Corp. It also says that in the meantime, Connie and David worked on "strengthening the gameplay" and completing it. (Presumably David Warhol also continued working on its final incarnation before release, since he was working closely with INTV Corp.)

So, since people here are making it sound like the original version was better, it seems that during the more than a year of its development, they just made the game worse? :?

Or is it that IntelligentVision gave the prototype game the "Super Pro" treatment and modified it with improvements?

Edited by DZ-Jay

Or is it that IntelligentVision gave the prototype game the "Super Pro" treatment and modified it with improvements?

My understanding is that IntelligentVision improved/tweaked the gameplay and decided to give the upgraded version the original prototype name. I found it confusing as well.

My understanding is that IntelligentVision improved/tweaked the gameplay and decided to give the upgraded version the original prototype name. I found it confusing as well.

Yeah, reading between the lines I assume this is the case. At any rate, I really love the improvements in the couple of games I've played so far. Need to put more time into this as Thunder Castle is one of my top 10 games for the platform (yes, I have chosen a couple so far...)

• 1 month later...

I finally bought this after re-listening to the Thunder Castle episode by the Intellivisionaries. Thunder Castle is a game I wanted to love, but it's way too difficult from the start. So I opted to buy Mystic Castle at everyone's recommendation. All I can say is you are all correct! This version is way more fun to play. I zipped through the first two levels and really enjoyed the sped up play! I plan on adding this to my Ultimate Intellivision. By the way, does anyone have a Mystic Castle box art I could use to put in my Ultimate Intellivision menu?

EDIT: Does anyone know the order of skill level (easy to difficult?) for Squire (1), Apprentice (2), Archer (3), Knight (4)? Or is that the correct order?

Edited by atarifan88

Thanks atarifan88!

Sorry that I do not have a Mystic Castle artwork. The only reason I considered making this a CIB was to see what artwork we would come up with.

I may be releasing Shark Shark 2. The updates do not make a 1 player mode any more fun though. The major changes are:

- the game is timed

- you can dart longer distances

- in 2 player mode, the first fish that gets eaten can re-enter the game at any time and does not need to wait for the other player to get eaten.

I am still debating on releasing Super Pro Baseball. Feedback I received was that that I made the game to hard. If I make it much easier, I will not enjoy it.

Sorry but I will not be doing any more CIB games. I understand only few of you enjoy the ROMs.

• Like 1

Sorry but I will not be doing any more CIB games. I understand only few of you enjoy the ROMs.

But those of us that do, *really* enjoy your tweaks!! Heck, I've even gotten used to using my ring finger to hit that lower button in Super Chef BT just fine. :lol:

Any other thought or work done to a 1-player Super Pro Utopia by chance?