IGNORED

Atari 2600 system inside a game cartridge!

walaber

Saw this on facebook today, hopefully I'm not reposting, but didn't see an obvious thread. Basically it's a Flashback, screen, speaker, battery, and controller all shoved into an original 2600 cartridge!

pretty awesome. A version of this with Harmony permanently inserted and an SD card slot would be super cool :)

http://toyland.gizmodo.com/an-atari-cartridge-game-boy-lets-you-play-retro-games-w-1766043576?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

• Like 10

Amazing. As far as technolgy and kitsch go, this is the perfect amalgamation.

Not a single; wow, thats cool,.. or wow,.. thats neat,.. all anyone has to say is negativity... Thats the internet though isn't it?

Well portable 2600s been done so many times. Its like getting new shoes. Its cool but it still does the exact same thing your last pair did. So its nice to see but nothing exciting. I dont think its negativity your seeing just more like boredom.

Amazing. As far as technolgy and kitsch go, this is the perfect amalgamation.

Not a single; wow, thats cool,.. or wow,.. thats neat,.. all anyone has to say is negativity... Thats the internet though isn't it?

Follow the link already posted, and you'll see a decent amount of "likes" and positive posts.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/250507-pocket-atari-lovablechevys-flashback-2-in-a-2600-cart/

Are people ragging on this to purely be curmudgeons?

Its like walking up to the guy that wrote the lords prayer on the head of nail and saying, "You know, a piece of paper and pencil would have been easier!"

Or the guy that carved the Statue of Liberty into a grain of rice, and stating that the real one is huge and made of copper! Who you trying to impress with that???

Someone had an idea and said to themself, "Yeah, I bet I could do that!" and they did! And as an art piece it's cool and ironic. Instead of playing a video game through a cart and on a system you're playing through a system and on a cart!

• Like 4

Are people ragging on this to purely be curmudgeons?

This project does not interest me at all. This reminds me of the ipod nano from 2008 (or whenever it was) that was so small it was difficult to press the button you wanted, and people were losing them, or breaking them because they forgot it was in their pocket.

But to the person who made this, and other people who like this, I say "Have At It Hoss."

Why is you enjoyment of this diminished by those who disagree with your position? Haters and trolls are not constructive, but people with legitimate opinions who express their comments respectfully have a right to express their point of view. No one has expressed a hater or trolling comment. People here have just expressed their opinions that they would do it differently.

• Like 1

Why is you enjoyment of this diminished by those who disagree with your position? Haters and trolls are not constructive, but people with legitimate opinions who express their comments respectfully have a right to express their point of view.

Thats true I guess, like any pieceof art, not EVERYONE is going to like it, are they?

I just feel like "If you have nothing nice to say..." but then I also feel thats a terrible saying, because you're limiting someone's right to speech!

Unless you use the real hardware, I don't see the point in going through all the trouble.

If you don't want to use the real hardware, then there are millions of things you can do with a Raspberry Pi which will play 2600 games, as well as thousands of other games.

Though I wouldn't actually call it "the real hardware" either, the FB2 hardware is probably as close to a real Atari 2600 as we're likely to ever see built again.

It's close to real in that it's not some other way more powerful system running a software program that poses as a 2600. It's a dedicated function system on a chip patterned after the original hardware, not a Nintendo On A Chip running ported games like a lot of the other "Atari" devices including the original Flashback. It at least runs real Atari 2600 game programs in the hardware's native language. It does have a menu driven loader, though. On the other hand, it can accept games on a physical ROM if you go through the trouble to disable the loader and connect up a cartridge socket.