IGNORED

Finally got my Hands on the Pro controller and Zero 5

Scorponok

Which are probably also the more common (or they would cost an arm and a leg otherwise) so they are in a way representative of the experience.

I don't remember having to chase any particular variation of game/controller on any other mainstream systems with the exception of the Sega Saturn and its terrible westerner controllers.

If Atari decided to save a penny dropping the ROM size from 2MB to 1MB in Cybermorph and in so doing "annoying" its own customer base it's really telling.

Wrt to Saturn I mean, this one SUCKS:

314px-Saturnpad2.jpg

This one ROCKS:

20110127231951%21SaturnPad.jpg

I know right, Sega completely screwed up the US launch of the Saturn. Dropping it months early to unsuspecting public, well overpriced at 400 and with a crappy controller. And oh ya, A rushed version of Virtua Fighter. Oops.

If sega had done the Saturn launch right, they may have beaten the PS1 in '95-'97, and history would have turned out much differently.

Edited by JaGamer

I would also like to add about the regular 3 button Jag controllers. There are several variations of the controller, some being better than others as far as d-pad and button springiness. Do a search on the forums.

Same goes for Cybermorph. The 1 mb version is more annoying because Skylar has way fewer sayings, so she repeats herself a lot more than the 2 mb version.

Sadly, I think this is a big reason a lot of people new to the Jag thinks it sucks. Because they end up with the worst variation controller and the annoying version of Cybermorph...

I don't think Cybermorph is the reason a lot of people think the Jag sucks. It's probably because most of the games suck, not just the 1mb version of Cybermorph. The Jag is a very niche system, its appeal isn't very widespread.

• Like 1

Most Jaguar games suck you say? Uh, not exactly. Are you even a Jaguar fan? Sounds like you don't know much about the library. I have played every single Jaguar game ever released 1993-2016, I do believe. I had fun playing well over half of those games. I would say I enjoy 75% of the Jaguar's library. And I am not only a Jag Gamer, but I enjoy video games period from all companies.

What you said reminds me of the ill-informed Angry Video Game Nerd, James Rolfe. It's sad that there are so many company fanboys out there like him. He grew up with Nintendo, and Nintendo only, and thinks everything else sucks. That is the mindset of a 10 year old. Or the mindset of a gang member (also limited intelligence). Closed-mindedness.

The saddest part of the Jaguar story, is that so many people's opinions were formed from reading Nintendo/Sega/Sony biased gaming magazines in the 90's. They were biased because they were paid off by those big, rich companies. Atari didn't have the money to throw around. I know why EGM was blatantly biased against the Jag. During the Lynx days of the early 90s, Atari loaned EGM a special Lynx to do reviews and screen grabs. One day, as the Lynx was fading, Atari asked for their Lynx back. EGM didn't want to give it back as they thought it was a freebie for them, because they got so many freebies from the super successful Nintendo and Sega... Ever since then, EGM hated Atari and never gave the Jaguar a fair shake. This was important, because EGM was the most popular video game magazine in the USA in the 1990's. So that ultimately was a mistake by Atari, to piss off EGM not long before the launch of the Jaguar. EGM saw to it to make sure to shit on the Jaguar at any opportunity. :)

That's what was so awesome about GameFan magazine. They were truly independent and not paid off. They raved about Cybermorph and how great it was (and they were honest and right). For it's time, late 1993, Cybermorph was an amazing game, that is if you had the skills and patience to progress in the game. No easy feat at all.

I drank too much coffee today.

It was not a normal Lynx, but a special modified one, worth a lot more than a normal Lynx. I am also sure Atari had something in writing stating they were to receive their Lynx back. Atari was very on top of legal matters. I also believe Atari was not happy with EGM's coverage of the Lynx and certain reviews.

Edited by JaGamer

It was not a normal Lynx, but a special modified one, worth a lot more than a normal Lynx. I am also sure Atari had something in writing stating they were to receive their Lynx back. Atari was very on top of legal matters. I also believe Atari was not happy with EGM's coverage of the Lynx and certain reviews.

Ah... if that's the case, EGM would/should have been aware of the stipulation then and NOT been "sore" at Atari for requesting it back. ;)

Probably had video out for captures and BIOS customized for early versions of games, but still.

rant

Man...what's with the angry n00bs?

Pretty sure madman's played his share of Jag, and I've got a complete boxed retail set. Yes, I've played them all and yes, many if not most of them suck.

The Jag's my favorite system, but more for the last hurrah it represents, Atari's quixotic charge into oblivion. It's a system that was doomed to failure before it ever released, plagued with chipset issues, woefully inadequate budgets, and generally junior varsity development teams but damned if Atari didn't go down swinging. A CD add-on with a zero percent chance of success? Yes please...I'll have that as well.

The console has a few shining stars but by and large its titles are underdeveloped, to put it charitably.

• Like 8

Now I must find a Jaguar CD unit AND Battlesphere. Oh but it doesn't end there! Let's just say for the sake of argument I sold my soul for a Jag CD unit (which is far rarer than Godly miracles I'm afraid )

Personnaly I like the Jag but never felt that i "must" find this or that.

That sounds silly to me that you're OK to spend the price of an iPhone for a pro controller and probably even more for a single cartridge game...

FYI, Towers II is not a CD but a cratridge.

To me the very first priority would have been to purchase a Jag CD which is not that rare and less expensive that what you paid for a Pro controller.

The Jag CD allow to play the games released on CD + more than one hundred of homebrews...

You sounds to me like nothing but a fashion victim...

Pretty sure madman's played his share of Jag, and I've got a complete boxed retail set. Yes, I've played them all and yes, many if not most of them suck.

The Jag's my favorite system, but more for the last hurrah it represents, Atari's quixotic charge into oblivion. It's a system that was doomed to failure before it ever released, plagued with chipset issues, woefully inadequate budgets, and generally junior varsity development teams but damned if Atari didn't go down swinging. A CD add-on with a zero percent chance of success? Yes please...I'll have that as well.

The console has a few shining stars but by and large its titles are underdeveloped, to put it charitably.

All of this, minus the Jag being my favorite system. I've got a complete retail collection and most of the homebrew released in the last few years. Do I get enjoyment out of the Jag? Absolutely, otherwise I wouldn't waste time in this forum, though the fume induced rants can be entertaining. However as I mentioned, I don't think it has the appeal that most retro systems have. I can't imagine a younger gamer wanting to seek out a Jaguar and then actually enjoying very many of the titles. When it comes to the Jag I think the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Edit: Just noticed JaGamer's new conspiracy theory about the Jaguar's failure: A special Lynx that Atari wanted back.

I assume the special Lynx that EGM were claimed to of had/Atari wanted back would be of the type Faran Thomason talked about:

'We did have a unit that could send the video signal to a VCR and a TV. We need to record games so we could get the bugs on tape.'

http://www.grumpyoldgamers.co.uk/index.php?/topic/3104-faran-thomason-interview/

Whilst i could see why this type of unit would of been useful to magazines, in order to take decent screenshots etc, is there actually any proof any of these were sent out to the press?.

Most Jaguar games suck you say? Uh, not exactly. Are you even a Jaguar fan?

I've been a Jag fan since about 2000, and even I have to admit that the majority of games are not that good. For every gem such as T2K or AvP, you get crap like Flip-out (barf!) or cheap-ass conversions of Amiga or Genesis games.

I'm more a fan of what might have been. There is a really decent console buried under all the shit, crying to get out.

• Like 1

I find myself firmly in the same camp as you, ls650, i'm all about the what could of been with the Jaguar.

It suffered from far too many unfinished games being rushed out, simply because Atari needed product on the shelf, ditto the Amiga/console ports.

Sure Syndicate on Jaguar is far better than the cut down SNES/MD versions, but the 'exclusive' zoom feature was utterly pointless.

Things like Legions Of The Undead, Conan, Black Ice/White Noise etc hinted at the exclusive titles Jaguar could of had, but sadly never saw.

Doom, AVP, Tempest 2000 and I.S along with Rayman saw me get just enough VFM from the hardware not to feel i was overly daft to rush in when i did, but there were so many false claims/screenshots related to what would be appearing on the machine, whilst Atari served us up a lot of actual crud, Jaguar will always be a case of decent hardware, poorly served by Atari itself, let alone 3rd party support.

Man...what's with the angry n00bs?

Have you really played the best games? Battlesphere, Zero 5, Phase zero, towers 2, Breakout 2000, Missile command 3d, Rayman, Skyhammer, Iron soldier 2 etc....that's well over a 2 thousand dollars worth of games. People tend to believe they've seen everything the jaguar has to offer but really. ...they have only been exposed to the rushed launch titles and they base their assessment off of them. Edited by Scorponok

Personnaly I like the Jag but never felt that i "must" find this or that.

That sounds silly to me that you're OK to spend the price of an iPhone for a pro controller and probably even more for a single cartridge game...

FYI, Towers II is not a CD but a cratridge.

To me the very first priority would have been to purchase a Jag CD which is not that rare and less expensive that what you paid for a Pro controller.

The Jag CD allow to play the games released on CD + more than one hundred of homebrews...

You sounds to me like nothing but a fashion victim...

I truly don't feel like a "victim". I'm a collector. I once owned most of these things and then threw them away. I am now rectifying this. I started rectifying this waaaay before it became a thing. It's cute that you see all "newbs" to this particular sight as newbs to the entire gaming industry. Seems like your a victim of superficial perceptions. Also to actually compare a collectible classic item to pricing of modern items is quite silly. Why buy a jaguar cd when I can get a PS4 instead right? Yeah....Once again your a victim of commerce. I collect transformers and 80s toys. Do I ever think twice about a 80s die cast high quality product costing more than the plastic cheap junk they sell today? No....because I'm a collector. I also see the value of rarity. So while everyone and their mamma will be playing a ps4 or xbox....me along with an exclusive number of people will be enjoying a rare gem. Ironically older systems tend to outlast next gen systems. My ps3 lasted 4 years. My jaguar and super Nintendo are still kicking it decades later. Edited by Scorponok

Have you really played the best games? Battlesphere, Zero 5, Phase zero, towers 2, Breakout 2000, Missile command 3d, Rayman, Skyhammer, Iron soldier 2 etc....that's well over a 2 thousand dollars worth of games. People tend to believe they've seen everything the jaguar has to offer but really. ...they have only been exposed to the rushed launch titles and they base their assessment off of them.

Prototypes, overpriced rare items and other nonsense.

Rayman is a very good Jag games but as it exists on Saturn and PS1 I don't feel the need to pay for an overpriced copy for the Jag.

Have you really played the best games on Sat or PS1, because that's what the Jag had to go against.

Can you tell me with a straight face the Jag was better than that?

Didn't think so.

How about SNES and MD, the gen earlier? There's so much going on over there than again the Jag loses, just not enough sorry. Yes Jag Doom is better than SNES Doom.

I find myself firmly in the same camp as you, ls650, i'm all about the what could of been with the Jaguar.

It suffered from far too many unfinished games being rushed out, simply because Atari needed product on the shelf, ditto the Amiga/console ports.

Sure Syndicate on Jaguar is far better than the cut down SNES/MD versions, but the 'exclusive' zoom feature was utterly pointless.

Things like Legions Of The Undead, Conan, Black Ice/White Noise etc hinted at the exclusive titles Jaguar could of had, but sadly never saw.

Doom, AVP, Tempest 2000 and I.S along with Rayman saw me get just enough VFM from the hardware not to feel i was overly daft to rush in when i did, but there were so many false claims/screenshots related to what would be appearing on the machine, whilst Atari served us up a lot of actual crud, Jaguar will always be a case of decent hardware, poorly served by Atari itself, let alone 3rd party support.

Atari never lied about anything. They fully expected to eventually get their game library going. They literally threw their entire Company AT THIS System. Every last resource was given to keep their promise. Basically Atari died trying to keep its word. It severely irritates me when I see people saying "i can't believe people fell for that crap" as if their advertising was a scam. Their tech specs were all accurate. The jaguar WAS IN DEED unlike anything on the market at the time. People were still fooling around with the super Nintendo when this powerful hybrid came along. It was all about timing. The Jag was dead center inbetween the super Nintendo and the playstation.

Please whatever hole your "exclusive" posse decides to go advertise it loudly so I can avoid it.

Talking about snob!!!!

There is no "posse" or club. I'm talking about the exclusive nature of the limited supplies available. You are just trolling and you are doing a poor job of it actually.