IGNORED

Lynx Multi Card Preorders

SainT

On 8/5/2016 at 9:05 PM, TDIRunner said:

After enjoying my Lynx Multi Card for a few days in both a model 1 and model 2, I think I've decided that I prefer to protect it with the cover. It's not a big deal to me if I can only use it in my model 2 going forward.

So I was curious, what are you using to apply it to the cart when you send them out already attached? I assume it's a type of glue, but I was curious what type you were using.

Thanks.

I use superglue -- use sparingly. ;)

I leave the carts for 2 days for the glue to dry fully. If the cart does not work after gluing, clean the memory card contacts with a fine bit of sandpaper cut to the width of the memory card! The cyanoacrylate vapor is a bugger for settling on contacts and is a good insulator.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 2

I use superglue -- use sparingly. ;)

I leave the carts for 2 days for the glue to dry fully. If the cart does not work after gluing, clean the SD card contacts with a fine bit of sandpaper cut to the width of the micro sd card! The cyanoacrylate vapor is a bugger for settling on contacts and is a good insulator.

Wow. That is a good thing to know when using superglue for things. If that is the case, would a piece of masking tape over the contacts be enough to keep from needing to sandpaper the contacts after applying the glue?

Saint, are you using PLA or ABS?

If it is PLA, you have to be carefull, as this material is very hygroscopic (it absorbs moisture from air).

You can try to remove it with an oven (electrical, as flame oven produce water), by putting an small amount in aluminium foil, and heating it to 75-80°C (170°F) over an hour.

The only problem is the low glass transition temperature (Tg) of the PLA (around 65-75°C, depending of the additives), and you would see that the filament sticks slightly, but you can solve it by flexing the coil.

This method is also suitable for other materials.

Enviado desde mi Moto G (4) mediante Tapatalk

Its PLA, yep. While PLA isnt as bad as some other materials for moisture ingress, I've certainly noticed it causes popping and bubbling in the past. Although with the previous filament it didnt cause jamming, and I left the stuff out in the air all the time!

Absolutely nothing changed between perfect prints and things jamming except the filament change. And then the first prints were fine until I left the filament out over night, then it started being a pain.

Its weird though, initially I was getting the first layer fail. You instantly think bed leveling at this point, so I adjusted it and it got as far as printing the finer details and then stopped. It stops at this point consistently. This is the point where the filament retraction between moves is causing an issue I think, as the filament is jamming up in the cold end.

I tried baking off the filament in a 50 degree oven for several hours, but no change. So my theory is now that its caused by inconsistent, or just small filament allowing the back pressure to force the plastic up the cold end and solidify.

We'll see, more filament on order. But wont be here 'till next week now. :(

Edited by SainT

On 8/5/2016 at 9:29 PM, lachoneus said:

Wow. That is a good thing to know when using superglue for things. If that is the case, would a piece of masking tape over the contacts be enough to keep from needing to sandpaper the contacts after applying the glue?

Yes, that would do the job. The memory card contacts are the only place I get an issue with superglue vapor normally, although sometimes I get the stuff on my hands and it ends up on the cart edge. Or it even comes through a via. Its tough stuff to get off with normal solvent -- I should get some superglue remover...

Edited by SainT

Ultimately I've not been able to get any shells printed, so I've been stalled on making more carts. :mad:

Perhaps you can print the PCBs and ship them bare to users with Lynx 1 units or offer to ship the cases at a later date for Lynx 2 customers.

The likelyhood of an ESD event is very low on a Lynx 1 provided it is unplugged from the wall adapter when removing the cart. Assuming the user holds the console in one hand and grips the cart in the other during removal, the ground plane of the Lynx 1 is isolated from Earth ground, and any potential static charge on the user's body won't have anywhere to travel.

By contrast, with a Lynx 2 plugged into AC adapter, the user could potentially release a static charge into the card while touching it, with the ground plane of the Lynx using the adapter wire as a channel by which to discharge the static.

But I'm not aware if the bare coverless Lynx 1 card has 3D printed materials or not. As an option you could ship to Lynx 1 customers by sending PM and ask if they want caseless now or wait for a case later. For US shipping, the surcharge for double shipping units is small; but foreign customers would have to pay more.

Yes, that would do the job. The SD contacts are the only place I get an issue with superglue vapor normally, although sometimes I get the stuff on my hands and it ends up on the cart edge. Or it even comes through a via. Its tough stuff to get off with normal solvent -- I should get some superglue remover...

Any solvent tough enough to release superglue will likely attack the plastics. I have successfully released superglue from Laser-Stintured-Nylon parts (Shapeways powder based "strong and flexible" prints) with acetone without damage to the parts, but that was Nylon. ABS filament will likely turn into putty upon exposure to acetone. The acetone also won't fully dissolve superglue bonds, only soften it enough to loosen it's hold. Superglue forms a hard resin that bonds with most plastic at a molecular level, and the resultant bond is often stronger than the plastic itself.

He's selling more multi cards than Atari sold Lynx games.

I laugh and yet am saddened at the same time! Similar to them manufacturing more ET/Pacman cartridges than there were 2600s out in the wild... because obviously people would want more than one copy, right?

Too bad the micro SD card wasn't around or any cheap memory storage back when Lynx was released. I think the memory was something like $50 per MB and my ROM collection is at about 20MB so back in the day it may have been a whole frickin grand to have complete Lynx library in one cart.

New printer filament and its now printing jam free. 3D printers are soooo bloody picky. Filament put to bed with some desiccant, will get a big load printed off tomorrow, assemble a load, then get back to shipping them out!! If its not one thing delaying me its another... :mad:

SainT - So it seems that I need to do 100 posts in order to see chats. I have a message in chat waiting to be read and if that's yours I'll not be able to see it for quite some time.

This is most disappointing if someone like me joins to make a purchase from a user and that requires communication via chat here.

I don't know if there are rules for posting personal website, so forgive me, but here's the way to get to my email... http://www.jamesstudiogallery.com/contact We can just use email to make arrangements if that's ok. Otherwise I need to make 100 bs posts and I suspect that's even more frowned upon. I don't want to post my email address in the forum for every spam bot to find so please use that webpage to establish email contact and we can take it from there.

:-)

Thanks,

James

SainT - So it seems that I need to do 100 posts in order to see chats. I have a message in chat waiting to be read and if that's yours I'll not be able to see it for quite some time.

This is most disappointing if someone like me joins to make a purchase from a user and that requires communication via chat here.

I don't know if there are rules for posting personal website, so forgive me, but here's the way to get to my email... http://www.jamesstudiogallery.com/contact We can just use email to make arrangements if that's ok. Otherwise I need to make 100 bs posts and I suspect that's even more frowned upon. I don't want to post my email address in the forum for every spam bot to find so please use that webpage to establish email contact and we can take it from there.

:-)

Thanks,

James

Hmm, thanks for the heads up on that, I was not aware of this! I've sent you a PM just to test... seems a bit odd, and I swear I sent PM's to folks waaaay before I had 100 posts.