IGNORED

Lynx Multi Card Preorders

SainT

We all know that the lynx builtin polygon 3D feature is sluggish & slow to atleast 5fps,BUT, 3D golf can be an ideal game for it, becouse it's not all about speed in that game,this game is on the genesis & snes wich renders polygons via software instead, if a homebrewer can port it over to the lynx,would be great.

Eventrough am still waiting for recieving the sd card,but i discovered & wondered why the lynx menu is in IMA format because all lynx roms are in LNX format.

Also, i have created a map with lynx roms in it and put that map along with the lynx menu firmware in the main root directory of the sd card for preperation for the lynx sd card interfacer, if i will get it, to test it out.

Oh ehm, i forget to mention,if you really want to have fast paced 3D polygon action on the atari lynx,you should add an extra proccesor in the cartride to do that to make up for the builtin sluggish & slow 3D polygonal feature of the lynx albeit still impressive.

Theres so much you can do as a homebrewer.

Just a prove of concept.

How about race drivin for the lynx using an extra chip to smoother up the frame rate and controls .

Also hard drivin has more levels.

Oh ehm, i forget to mention,if you really want to have fast paced 3D polygon action on the atari lynx,you should add an extra proccesor in the cartride to do that to make up for the builtin sluggish & slow 3D polygonal feature of the lynx albeit still impressive.

Theres so much you can do as a homebrewer.

Just a prove of concept.

How about race drivin for the lynx using an extra chip to smoother up the frame rate and controls .

Also hard drivin has more levels.

Which Lynx games contained coprocessors? I am not aware of any. :ponder:
  • Like 1

Now before anybody ditch on me and say's that an extra chip in the lynx cart cannot be done, IN THEORY it can be used for rendering graphics and stream it as an animation to the lynx,i based my theory on a taxi movie demo for the lynx wich streams a short clip of 2 driving cars from a movie looped after 5 seconds, it even has sound in it.

Just look on youtube type in atari lynx sd multicart and look at 16.32 minute to see it yourself.

If a 3D chip could just render it's graphics by streaming it to the lynx via compression etc,,, why not.

Now i NEVER SAID, that taxi demo has an extra chip in it NO ,but it proves that streaming video is possible on the lynx,and if that's possible, a HOMEBREWER could ad a 3D chip in their lynx game wich renders the graphics and stream it as video data to the lynx screen via DMA. I suppose

Yes it's true no lynx game ever had a chip in it,but again no lynx game used all pins but the sd card used all pind!!?? and has a chip for doing a hard reset and to communicate with the lynx and for NOTHING ELSE.

Yes the lynx cartride is different from the rest,but this taxi demo triggered some ideas out of me.

JUST IMAGINE starfox ,stunt race fx ,virtua racing on the lynx, that way.

Now before anybody ditch on me and say's that an extra chip in the lynx cart cannot be done, IN THEORY it can be used for rendering graphics and stream it as an animation to the lynx,i based my theory on a taxi movie demo for the lynx wich streams a short clip of 2 driving cars from a movie looped after 5 seconds, it even has sound in it.

Just look on youtube type in atari lynx sd multicart and look at 16.32 minute to see it yourself.

If a 3D chip could just render it's graphics by streaming it to the lynx via compression etc,,, why not.

Now i NEVER SAID, that taxi demo has an extra chip in it NO ,but it proves that streaming video is possible on the lynx,and if that's possible, a HOMEBREWER could ad a 3D chip in their lynx game wich renders the graphics and stream it as video data to the lynx screen via DMA. I suppose

Yes it's true no lynx game ever had a chip in it,but again no lynx game used all pins but the sd card used all pind!!?? and has a chip for doing a hard reset and to communicate with the lynx and for NOTHING ELSE.

Yes the lynx cartride is different from the rest,but this taxi demo triggered some ideas out of me.

I dont entirely see the point when you can just buy a PSP or Vita or DS or.... a phone.

The Lynx is what it is, and there's plenty of power there for new and inventive stuff.

• Like 2

Sure you can buy a psp or DS for 3D but it's interresting to see what a handheld from 1989 can do with it's limited power like hard drivin,steel talons etc,,

Am mean offcourse i DON'T expect psp graphics on a lynx no way, but we can expect 3D graphics close to starfox,virtua racing on it,but at a low 5fps, wich is still amezing concidering the age of the lynx.

Case closed.

Just a quick update, I'm on a bit of go-slow at the moment partly due to being knackered and mostly because my 3D printer is still being a git. I'm just bodging an E3DV6 extruder in-place of the crappy DaVinci stock extruder which will solve most of my printing woes. There are numerous bits on the DaVinci which I intend to replace over time, but at the moment I just want to have the thing working!

Plenty of carts ready to be made. Just need to stop wasting my time fixing the sodding printer.

Edited by SainT

It's not possible for anything on the cartridge to do DMA to the lynx RAM, the "cartridge" is presented in memory as one byte and is not memory mapped like on other systems. What's possible on other systems is not possible on the Lynx for this reason.

It's great that you have these ideas, but you should read up on the hardware design to ground them in some reality as well. That taxi demo isn't "streaming" the video from the cartridge, since that is really impossible (from what I know about the hardware... someone could correct me if I'm wrong and explain how that would work.)

Yea, it would be cool, but we're stuck with a legacy from when the Lynx designers wanted to put a tape drive in Handy. (dumb)

It's not possible for anything on the cartridge to do DMA to the lynx RAM, the "cartridge" is presented in memory as one byte and is not memory mapped like on other systems. What's possible on other systems is not possible on the Lynx for this reason.

Yea, it would be cool, but we're stuck with a legacy from when the Lynx designers wanted to put a tape drive in Handy. (dumb)

One byte? Technically any game system with an 8-bit cart bus can only "see" one byte at a time... :ponder:

• Like 1

Holy crap! Now there's a hardware add-on I'd like to make -- a microcasette drive for the Lynx!! You could have flashing colour bars while it loads and everything... it'd be like the PSP's UMD. Only more 80's.

• Like 3

Hi can someone link my to that taxi demo and the zaku rom for the lynx, i got a paper with a whole lot of roms i really want but can't find them on google or any rom site

There are other roms am looking for such as hotdog

Wavern tales

Karate world tour

Cge sth

Simis

Pounce

Lynx reloaded

Lyxoplay

Cyber virus

T-ris

Daemons gate

Solitair