IGNORED

Lynx Multi Card Preorders

SainT

Wow, Lynx's are huge. But that SD cart is just about what you could hope for. Game select screen. preview pic. It's good.

About the same size as a SupaBoy, LOL!

Neat but I don't think even the Everdrives support preview pics, though this may have a lot to do with the sprite handling capabilities of the system. If it's capable of displaying full screen bmp graphics, no problem. Anyway I downloaded the SD cart ROMset despite I haven't gotten an invoice yet. I forget how far down I am on the list but can wait.

You can also change the background photo (640x480 bmp) in ED64 menu but that's about it. I used a darkened Majora's Mask screengrab and a darkened SM64 screengrab of Peach's Castle and change them out depending on mood.

Ah, I see. Thought because of the long programming the as6c8008 is a flash chip (did'nt check before).
So using FRAM/MRAM instead of the SRAM would allow to boot the last image w/o programming it.
Since the PIC seems to be connected to the data bus, it could check key-presses on boot and either leave the last image in the MRAM or reload the menu.
Maybe for Rev. 2 of the card ;-)

Well.....if you hold the A button during boot up it will load the last selected game again....but yes it does have to "program" it again.

What I would find much more interesting would be a freeze option......so dumping the current status of a game so it would be possible to stop a game, and go on at the same point later....without having to remember and enter codes....

But that's probably wishful thinking....

Edited by Level42

To be fair there have been similiar cards before.

In 1990 we had an SRAM card called humble-bee because at that time the largest SRAM had 32KB so it was large.

But of course, only a limited number of those where made and used mainly to hack the Lynx.

Later came Karri`s flashcard, then Lynxmans (don't know the dates).

But sure, this one is the most sophisticated, but still leaves room for improvements :-)

The PIC could for example render some GFX and put them into the SRAM on the fly.

... so many ideas, if I only had the time ...

The PIC could for example render some GFX and put them into the SRAM on the fly.

It could also just act as an abstraction for a NOR SPI Flash (or at least use a similar commandset for a large memory). Being able to just do three writes for a 24-Bit address and then read with proper autoincrement (no page wrapping, counter resetting, or reloading the stupid shift register), would be a fantastic improvement when streaming data.

... so many ideas, if I only had the time ...

You already gave us a great development kit, anything extra is a super bonus :)

Thanks for this very useful video.

So I registered at EPForums and followed the given link over there to download your Lynx package v 1.0.

Then I downloaded the 7z file, 10 MB in size. But when I unpack, it contains all your rom and preview files with 0kB each.

I downloaded several times with the same emtpy files after unpacking.

Why is this?

I just tested again and it's working fine. Maybe try another browser?

I DL'd the Lynx set to my PC as I have No_Intro sets for use on my Everdrives. I usually do the setup myself, but these archives are nice and the screengrabs would be a PITA to enumerate myself without help.

I downloaded the Lynx pack and unzipped with 7z and most of the Lynx files report filesizes like 129kb or 257kb, nothing 0kb. There may be an issue with the integrity of the download to your PC or the software you used to extract them.

One thing I noticed even the GBA flashcart download was quite small. The No_Intro set unzips to around 24Gb on my hard drive and most of the files only compress to 30-40% so I'm wondering how the poster got these ROMsets to compress to like one tenth the original size unless compression took into account duplicate data across multiple ROMs.