IGNORED

Lynx Multi Card Preorders

SainT

Hi, amazing bit of kit.

A couple of questions.

Is the non-case version the only one that will fit a Mk1 Lynx ?

Do you have any still available ?

If so, please add me to the list.

Cheers.

The cased version interferes with the latch door on a Lynx 1, but helps protect against ESD when used on a Lynx 2 since the entire card is exposed. So SainT is offering both options. If you order an uncased flash card, he still ships with a cover but it is unglued IIRC.

I bought a Shapeways 3D case for my Turbo Everdrive to protect it from ESD. Similar senario, exposed PCB in the card slot. I would imagine your chances of frying a Lynx 1 with ESD from touching the card PCB is practically zero if you disconnect the AC adaptor before removal.

If you keep a fresh set of batteries in the Lynx, it is advisable to remove the card when not using the system, otherwise the 5V circuit that supplies the power button will slowly drain the batteries. I did not know this as a teen and often wondered why my batteries ended up dead if I didn't play it for a week. On my meager allowance, replacing the name brand Alkaline batteriesfrom the corner store every week would eat up my spare change fast. :roll:

• Like 1

It's any cart, not the Lynx cart in particular. There is a physical connection on every cart which powers a part of the Lynx's power circuitry and hence will slowly drain the batteries if a cart is left plugged in.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 1

It's any cart, not the Lynx SD in particular. There is a physical connection on every cart which powers a part of the Lynx's power circuitry and hence will slowly drain the batteries if a cart is left plugged in.

Thanks a lot for this useful clarification. So I will keep my Lynx SD and all other carts separate when not in use.

Although it's quite tempting to leave the Lynx SD card permanently in the Lynx ;-)

The 3D printed backing comes off? How did you ink/paint the artwork?

Yes it does (sort of). It's glued in certain spots. Before I knew that though, I made a big mistake. I used a paint marker from Walmart to "flood" the spot. Well, that spread all over the bottom. Alot of alcohol and Qtips later, I cleaned it up and just added a little more to the area the letters were. After the fact, I realized colored tape would do the job just as good if not better. I don't recommend taking it off though. You could destroy it. I am what you call an idiot, I took the chance.

Yes it does (sort of). It's glued in certain spots. Before I knew that though, I made a big mistake. I used a paint marker from Walmart to "flood" the spot. Well, that spread all over the bottom. Alot of alcohol and Qtips later, I cleaned it up and just added a little more to the area the letters were. After the fact, I realized colored tape would do the job just as good if not better. I don't recommend taking it off though. You could destroy it. I am what you call an idiot, I took the chance.

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably just ink the letters in with a yellow highlighter and a red sharpie. The ink is transparent and the plastic is already black so any marker ink that gets on the black plastic area won't really show.

• Like 1

I sometimes forget how privileged I am to have owned this for a couple of months now. AND how lucky (and smart) I was to jump on the list as soon as I saw it :)

In fact, I can't remember what it was like to switch out games every time :D

I am seriously happy for Saint that this is SO insanely popular. Totally deserved, this was exactly what the Lynx needed. This and McWill's screen are the products of the century for Lynx :)

I recently sold all my original (loose) carts. I'm not a collector, I just want to play. The money I got nicely covered the costs of the SD card :) So now I have (almost) ALL Lynx games at zero costs :)

Edited by Level42
  • Like 2

I sometimes forget how privileged I am to have owned this for a couple of months now. AND how lucky (and smart) I was to jump on the list as soon as I saw it :)

In fact, I can't remember what it was like to switch out games every time :D

I am seriously happy for Saint that this is SO insanely popular. Totally deserved, this was exactly what the Lynx needed. This and McWill's screen are the products of the century for Lynx :)

I recently sold all my original (loose) carts. I'm not a collector, I just want to play. The money I got nicely covered the costs of the SD card :) So now I have (almost) ALL Lynx games at zero costs :)

My collection of Lynx games going into this was pretty meager to start with. I had Ninja Gaiden, Toki, Pacland, and Qix from my childhood, and I purchased Klax, Elvira Pinball, and Blue Lightning more recently. Klax and Elvira Pinball were actually sealed for a pretty decent price, LOL! Well one was sealed the other minty CIB, can't remember which. I played both and enjoyed them much, and my loose Blue Lightning is the flat card which adds to it's uniqueness. 8)

For me getting flash cards for every system I own is about trying new things, and the option to "trim the fat" from my collection should I ever run out of space and funds. I've been dying to try T-tris on my Lynx for instance, and that game is unobtainable! It is however worth owning an original cart of a game I truly love though, provided the price isn't astronomical. I spent a small fortune acquiring some CIC Trurbografx and PC Engine games simply because I enjoyed playing them on my Everdrive, including a couple Turbochip repros of certain unicorn games like Bonk 3 and Magical Chase. 8)

So for me at least, owning a flash cart actually makes me want to spend more on games I like. Counter-intuitive, I know... :P

• Like 2