IGNORED

Lynx Multi Card Preorders

SainT

Happy New Year to everyone! :) And a New Years update from me...

I've got a load more time coming up now to get more carts made and shipped out, so I should be clearing the back-log of pre-orders in the next couple of months. I just need to sort out my 3D printer once more as its out of action (again!), then I can get things moving.

• Like 1

Happy New Year to everyone! :) And a New Years update from me...

I've got a load more time coming up now to get more carts made and shipped out, so I should be clearing the back-log of pre-orders in the next couple of months. I just need to sort out my 3D printer once more as its out of action (again!), then I can get things moving.

Looking forward to it mate. You are legendary.

• Like 1

This. If you wanna build one-off models of stuff, might as well use Shapeways, though nylon laser stinted powder is very different from ABS filament.

You cant beat having your own printer for iterative changes and quick turnaround, but printing services are definitely interesting if you just want to print stuff from thingiverse etc...

I would expect sintered stuff to be of a higher quality than the fused filament method too.

You cant beat having your own printer for iterative changes and quick turnaround, but printing services are definitely interesting if you just want to print stuff from thingiverse etc...

I would expect sintered stuff to be of a higher quality than the fused filament method too.

Sintered powder definitely is a lot more uniform in composition, though sometimes you can see fine lines on angled surfaces. One potential issue is they tend to shed white powder everywhere. While this powder is inert, it wouldn't be ideal for applications such as cartridges that involve repeated insertions and extractions. Most models are pretty expensive (you pay per cubic centimeter of material) and some designers cut corners to make them as cheap as possible. This leads to compromises such as thin walls or holes cut out of internal structures. I have experience with Shapeways as I used to be active in another hobby known as twistypuzzles, rubik's cube like devices based on sometimes exotic geometries. Nylon Sintered Powder (Strong and Flexible) is the default material on Shapeways, and one of the more economical and stronger of the available plastics.

The puzzles would have rough movement at first but the grit of the nylon grains had a polishing effect on itself, making the material silky smooth with repeated wear. In other words, the mechanical models would improve with use. During this break-in phase however, they continue to release powder which might be alarming to some however harmless it is. I'm not aware of puzzles made from cheaper filament based models, as I believe these are too imprecise and do not have uniform texture. Being porous material, the white nylon parts take to dying quite well, and are resistant to acetone making RIT fabric dyes ideally suited for them. Or you can just ink them black with a permanent sharpie marker like I did. The white raw plastic seemed to attract a lot of dirt and oils from the skin, discoloring with time, so I would recommend either inking them black permanent ink and/or sealing them with clear coat, for any parts that will be subject to frequent handling. I sprayed three layers of satin clear coat on my Everdrive casing (made from sintered nylon, default Strong and Flexible, green dye) and it was very nice and did not shed at all.

So properly prepped and sealed with clear coat, powder models would make a sturdy option if a bit pricey. A model the size of an NES cart would probably cost between $50-$100 though depending on wall thickness. In understand filament models need to be prepped too, as the printer adds support structures that need to be cut off. The powder models do not use supports as the un-sintered powder (which is collected and recycled) provides the necessary support. The recycling process involves using a vacuum process on the models in a clean room environment, which removes the unused powder for collection and reuse as feedstock.

You can also get bronze infused stainless steel models as well. Powdered steel is laser-sintered together in layers just like the plastics, then the models are removed from the tray and dipped in molten bronze. Due to the porisity of the laser sintered steel particles and the higher melting point, the steel models soak up the liquid bronze through capillary action. They are then rolled in a drum full of tiny ball bearings to give them a polished finish. They even offer the option to have your steely models gold dipped for extra bling! :$$$:

Getting way off topic here, but here's my collection of steel/bronze infused sculptures created by Bathsheba:

post-33189-0-94510800-1483515427_thumb.jpg

(Dollar bill to show scale. These were not cheap models to print. Image is not compressed to show detail. Also the Klein bottle opener on the far right opens beer bottles... :grin:)

And now they offer glass and ceramic as well. It's insane what then can print. The consumer grade "filament" printers almost seem like a step backwards by comparison... :P

• Like 1