IGNORED

Lynx Multi Card Preorders

SainT

This is incredible. If you want the perfect modern day version of your Lynx then McWill screen plus SainT SD card gives you everything. No one who buys this will be anything other than impressed with the build quality either.

I have two or three versions of most historical ROMs (presumably they were regional ones?) so I'm still working out which ones work but I had great fun playing with this yesterday. There is also amusement to be had in the fact the 512MB SD card it came with has a couple of hundred games on it and is still only half full - it's amazing what could (and still can) be done with only a few hundred K.

Now if only some of the later release owners (Der Luchs, Duranik, Super Fighter Team) could be persuaded to sell soft versions of their games :-)

Thanks again for doing this and making it available SainT.

• Like 3

If some developer is interested you can even write Lynx software that use the SD card from the application.

Once I get my SD card I could modify Flappy Bird test release to save the high score on the SD card.

I did not see an option to create a new file on the SD card but there is an API for writing data to a file that exists. As I know how large the Flappy file is I could just add two zero bytes to the end of the file as a position holder for the high score. So instead of saving the high score on an eeprom you could save it inside the lnx image.

void LynxSD_Init();FRESULT __fastcall__ LynxSD_OpenFile(const char *pFile);FRESULT __fastcall__ LynxSD_SeekFile(u32 nSeekPos);FRESULT __fastcall__ LynxSD_WriteFile(void *pBuffer, u16 nSize);FRESULT LynxSD_CloseFile();
  • Like 3

On 1/26/2017 at 11:56 AM, karri said:

If some developer is interested you can even write Lynx software that use the SD card from the application.

Once I get my SD card I could modify Flappy Bird test release to save the high score on the SD card.

I did not see an option to create a new file on the SD card but there is an API for writing data to a file that exists. As I know how large the Flappy file is I could just add two zero bytes to the end of the file as a position holder for the high score. So instead of saving the high score on an eeprom you could save it inside the lnx image.

void LynxSD_Init();FRESULT __fastcall__ LynxSD_OpenFile(const char *pFile);FRESULT __fastcall__ LynxSD_SeekFile(u32 nSeekPos);FRESULT __fastcall__ LynxSD_WriteFile(void *pBuffer, u16 nSize);FRESULT LynxSD_CloseFile();

Unfortunately due to the limitations of the microcontroller and petit FAT which is used to access the memory card there is no way to create files, you have to have them pre-created and sized on the memory card (hence the files lastrom and homebrew in the menu folder).

I have a feeling there is a limitation on seeking in existing files as well due to partial sector writes... you cant. :( So it would be easiest to have a flappy.hi file or something for the high scores and write to that. :thumbsup:

Edited by SainT
  • Like 1

Unfortunately due to the limitations of the microcontroller and petit FAT which is used to access the SD card there is no way to create files, you have to have them pre-created and sized on the SD card (hence the files lastrom and homebrew in the menu folder).

I have a feeling there is a limitation on seeking in existing files as well due to partial sector writes... you cant. :( So it would be easiest to have a flappy.hi file or something for the high scores and write to that. :thumbsup:

Would this get it's own directory or included with the ROM?

On 1/26/2017 at 12:28 PM, Kosmic Stardust said:

Would this get it's own directory or included with the ROM?

You'd need a pre-sized file included with the ROM. Ideally people would standardise on where to put these... possibly a "saves" directory in the root of the memory card which you can add the pre-sized file to (flappy.hi in this example).

This way the ROM then can just write to "saves/flappy.hi" and all will be well. :)

Edited by SainT
  • Like 1

That is ok. I know that this will not be an option in Wyvern Tales as all the bytes on the cart are already counted for.

But perhaps you could have support for different saves in upcoming releases. And when you think about the very large used base for the SD cart it makes sense to make a version for that one also.

Something like post-2099-0-05356000-1485433871.png for the people who want to keep developers happy.

At Starbucks a cup is around $3 or $4. You could create a button like this in PayPal with a fixed sum and attach it to the announce page of your game release.

If your game is good enough that people find themselves playing it often they might click the button. If the game is crap you won't get any clicks either.

I would like to pre-order a Lynx multi-card with case, please.

Looking forward to finally being able to play Desert Strike on it!

I had the original Lynx when it was first released. I was astounded by the performance of it, not so much the size and battery life, only think I ran it off batteries once :). Sold it and bought a Game Boy and Game Gear.... oh dear. Long time ago, but I think it may have been the lack of game range that drove me to it.

• Like 1

Excellent, I'll use that for my next game. Very useful.

Yes he takes paypal. I didn't receive a number or ask for it to be tracked but I'd assume if you're willing to pay he would.

Yep, I can post tracked if people like. I don't normally for single carts, and I've had very few instances of them going missing, but if they do I just send a replacement and claim on the postal insurance.

But, as I say, I can if people want. Postage normally for international is £5, for tracked its £9. I send 2 or more carts via tracked.

I hope he catches up before he releases the neo geo pocket or jaguar ones.

I should do. :)

I got a load posted out last week, I will get another load posted this week. Has been a slow start this week though due to feeling like shite again! Woo. :(

Although I did get to play some Castlevania Dracula X today, so I guess not all bad. :P

Please also add me to the pre-order list!

Thank you for the fantastic efforts and enormous kudos to your pre-order mechanism, a lot of fellow custom electronic makers can learn from this! :)

Thank-you! It's far from perfect, but at least people can see progress and where they currently are. Which is nice.

Queuing is never fun. :)